Sick Cat Not Eating and Vomiting

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I go any further, he has been to the vet the last two days and I called the vet first thing this morning with another update.
So last Tuesday I trapped a sick, injured cat by my workplace who was trying to get into the dumpsters. We named him Van Gogh because he’s missing part of his ear.
We got him to the vet this past Tuesday. Quick summary what’s wrong, he’s got an upper respiratory infection, has some broken ribs, has severe dental disease, and has cauliflower ear. He got his vaccines, tested negative for worms/parasites and FIV/FELV, and got treated for ear mites.
So that night after his appointment I tried giving him his meds (clavamox chewables) with his wet food but he wouldn’t touch his food. That morning I tried again, wouldn’t eat. Wasted two tablets. Called the vet, they brought him in, he had a reaction to his vaccines and was running a fever. They gave him two injections and his fever went down and he ate a bit for them, so he came home. Tried feeding him that night, no interest. Wasted another tablet.Tried giving him the benedryl I was supposed to give, threw it right up.
This morning I heated up his wet food, no interest. Gave him his Clavamox with peanut butter, threw it up. This is when I called the vet AGAIN and waiting for a call back from them.

So, is there anything I can do in the meantime? He’s stressed, I keep shoving meds in his face and he’s clearly stressed and exhausted so I’m leaving him alone. It’s hard to find wet food right now with all these shortages so I buy what I can get. I’ve gone through 3 cans of Friskies that he won’t eat. I was previously feeding him Fancy Feast and he liked that a decent bit, so maybe he won’t touch the wet food because he doesn’t want the Frisies? Even though that’s what I was feeding him when we first caught him and he ate it right up.
I don’t really have the funds to be buying different meds or wet foods or stimulants, I was able to raise some money for his vet bills but any food I buy I use with my own money. I want him to get better, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Figured get as much advice as I can, right?
B09C1B48-1076-4155-BD73-1410193B5650.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully its "just" reaction to the vaccines. If I were vet, I wouldnt vaccinate him right now, just stabilize his overall health at first... But I suppose they wanted to spare you another vet visit, and thus de facto, another vet bill...

I agree with you, give him whatever he wish to eat, not necessary what is healthy nutrients... If he was seeking food in garbages, he is probably not picky in normal cases?? Try with something smelly, so he recognizes this as food even if he perhaps has a stuffed nose.
Or warm up the food slighly...

Goats milk or youghurt, may be alternative to get him to eat something. And both arent expensive. What he doesnt want to eat, you can eat it yourself.

Baby food are often used. Especielly the non flavored brands. Here in Sweden we often use minced meat. From cows it may be raw, from pigs it should be cooked. Or meat in small bits. It doesnt need to be the most pricey meat.

Calming relaxing music on may help some. There being warm and cozy helps some too. The sick ones are usually freezing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are antibiotics that can be administered via injection, and an anti-nausea med as well. You might just ask the vet about both when you talk to them. Not saying more shots are a good idea, but in the case of the antibiotics for the URI, he does need to get that treated. If he continues vomiting and can't keep food down, that is when the anti-nausea might be in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are antibiotics that can be administered via injection, and an anti-nausea med as well. You might just ask the vet about both when you talk to them. Not saying more shots are a good idea, but in the case of the antibiotics for the URI, he does need to get that treated. If he continues vomiting and can't keep food down, that is when the anti-nausea might be in order.
This is what they gave him when we went yesterday. I’m waiting for the vet to call me still on what we should do next and if I should get something else for him. I just feel so bad for him he feels awful and he’s already been through so much.

Attachments

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully its "just" reaction to the vaccines. If I were vet, I wouldnt vaccinate him right now, just stabilize his overall health at first... But I suppose they wanted to spare you another vet visit, and thus de facto, another vet bill...

I agree with you, give him whatever he wish to eat, not necessary what is healthy nutrients... If he was seeking food in garbages, he is probably not picky in normal cases?? Try with something smelly, so he recognizes this as food even if he perhaps has a stuffed nose.
Or warm up the food slighly...

Goats milk or youghurt, may be alternative to get him to eat something. And both arent expensive. What he doesnt want to eat, you can eat it yourself.

Baby food are often used. Especielly the non flavored brands. Here in Sweden we often use minced meat. From cows it may be raw, from pigs it should be cooked. Or meat in small bits. It doesnt need to be the most pricey meat.

Calming relaxing music on may help some. There being warm and cozy helps some too. The sick ones are usually freezing.
I know, I should’ve just said to wait to administer the vaccines but since the vet is half an hour away from me and they suggested it I figured it would be fine. I’ll keep that in mind for next time for sure. I’ve never had a cat have a vaccine reaction before.
I honestly might try and give him some ground meat heated up and one of those gravy lickables for cats and heat that up too and see if he’ll eat any of it. Because I know his teeth hurt and he doesn’t like to chew and likes the gravy, so maybe I can get him to at least lap up gravy. I did try Chuuru and he had no interest, never had a cat not want that!
I do have a heater on in his room to keep him comfy, and plenty of cozy places for him to lay.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is what they gave him when we went yesterday. I’m waiting for the vet to call me still on what we should do next and if I should get something else for him. I just feel so bad for him he feels awful and he’s already been through so much.
The former is a form of antihistamine (like the Benadryl pills they gave you), sometimes given to help counteract adverse reactions to vaccines. The second drug is an anti-inflammatory - probably pretty much for the same reason, or also perhaps for his dental disease and/or broken ribs. As far as I know neither would do anything for a URI. Hopefully, his condition is a vaccine reaction and will settle down soon, because he needs to eat as well as be successfully treated for the URI.

Most cats do like baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2), so try that too, as mentioned above. The problem is going to be getting him to eat if he feels nauseous. And, if broken ribs in a cat is anything like a human, that is painful and could also attribute to nausea. I too feel so bad for your poor little guy!

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mirtazapine tablets, if your vet wanted to use those, are not that expensive. They run about 50 cents per tablet and it is not a medication that you use for very long. Thank you for helping this poor boy.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
So he went back to the vet this morning and they gave him a Convenia injection, I guess she said to help his stuffiness? When I looked up what convenia is used for all I saw was skin issues and gum issues? So I’m not sure but they said to check back in with them Monday when they’re open to provide an update.
He still isn’t eating, and he threw up yellow in his carrier at the vet and a little yellow foamy bile at home around 2:30. Poor guy, when we got home he went straight to his cat tree and laid down, he’s very lethargic and still won’t eat. He’s incredibly stuffed up but I can’t give him any of his meds on an empty stomach.

Myquestion now is, should I try mixing baby food with some water and syringe feeding some to him if he’ll take it? He will try and bite me, but that’s what I did with my little 5 week olds a while back when they were sick and not eating.
It’s going on almost 3 days since he’s eaten anything, he picked at his dry food a tiny bit last night and sniffed at his water but I don’t know if he drank anything, either.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Convenia can be used for upper respiratory infections and since it lasts for two to three weeks, it may start to kick in since he just received it. It could be a few hours before you start to see any improvement. They did not want to give you any mirtazapine?

If you are experienced with syringe feeding, it might be a good idea to give it a try.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Covenia, when given via injection form is long-acting antibiotic and some vets use it as a 'go to' because it can be injected and avoid pilling a cat. As said above, give it some time. It could take a week to start to get results, but hopefully it will help sooner.

Run hot water to create a steam in one of your bathrooms and take him in there (sit with him so he is not alone) for 10 or so minutes as the steam may help reduce some of his congestion/stuffiness. You can do it multiple times a day.

If he is not eating, throwing up bile (yellow in color) is not surprising. Warm the baby food to just slightly above room temp to help with creating more of a smell and see if he will eat it without syringing. If not, then try the syringe tactic, or mix with some warm water to see if he might lap at it first before syringing. Tuna 'juice', from canned tuna in water, can be added to some water to see if that will entice him to drink a bit. There is also a Restorative food that most vets sell in their offices that can be watered down into a syringe slurry that is full of calories and most cats seem to like. You might run back by the vet and pick up a couple of cans as back up.

I am kind of irritated that the vet didn't consider an anti-nausea med, but I guess you can only deal with what they are willing to do. By Monday, if you haven't gotten him to eat at least some degree of food, I would most certainly tell them you want something for nausea.

Please continue to keep us posted, please!

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Convenia can be used for upper respiratory infections and since it lasts for two to three weeks, it may start to kick in since he just received it. It could be a few hours before you start to see any improvement. They did not want to give you any mirtazapine?

If you are experienced with syringe feeding, it might be a good idea to give it a try.
I honestly didn’t even ask them about the mirtazapine, I’m assuming if by Monday he isn’t improving I ca ask about it.
I’m not super experienced with syringe feeding, especially adults (I’ve only syringe fed small kittens) but it wouldn’t hurt to at least try. I know little amounts every few hours, not too much to upset their tummies.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Covenia, when given via injection form is long-acting antibiotic and some vets use it as a 'go to' because it can be injected and avoid pilling a cat. As said above, give it some time. It could take a week to start to get results, but hopefully it will help sooner.

Run hot water to create a steam in one of your bathrooms and take him in there (sit with him so he is not alone) for 10 or so minutes as the steam may help reduce some of his congestion/stuffiness. You can do it multiple times a day.

If he is not eating, throwing up bile (yellow in color) is not surprising. Warm the baby food to just slightly above room temp to help with creating more of a smell and see if he will eat it without syringing. If not, then try the syringe tactic, or mix with some warm water to see if he might lap at it first before syringing. Tuna 'juice', from canned tuna in water, can be added to some water to see if that will entice him to drink a bit. There is also a Restorative food that most vets sell in their offices that can be watered down into a syringe slurry that is full of calories and most cats seem to like. You might run back by the vet and pick up a couple of cans as back up.

I am kind of irritated that the vet didn't consider an anti-nausea med, but I guess you can only deal with what they are willing to do. By Monday, if you haven't gotten him to eat at least some degree of food, I would most certainly tell them you want something for nausea.

Please continue to keep us posted, please!
I definitely will try the hot steak idea, honestly don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner! The tuna juice in water is also a great idea, I’ll give him a separate thing of water with that in it in case he ends up just wanting plain water. He’s a picky eater.

I’m just hoping the vet knows what’s best for him and isn’t cutting corners with his care, I don’t like the clinic all that much but I used to work there and they’ve always been good with fitting me in so it’s hard to find a new clinic, especially right now with no one taking new clients.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did end up taking him to the emergency vet last night and made the ultimate decision to not let him continue suffering. Just between how he was doing health wise and the overall cost of everything, we made the decision to let him rest 💔 I’m just really hoping we made the right decision…

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You both fought the good fight and he knew that for the last week of his life that someone loved him and cared for him.