Sick cat, day 6, not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I have a female about 8 years old, she woke up vomiting during the night 6 days ago. She continued to vomit, about a dozen times over the next 12-16 hours. We got her to the vet early next morning, she was already dehydrated, so they hydrated her. They did a blood test and an x-ray and their conclusion was a gastrointestinal infection, most likely from something she ate. She is indoor only, we (just wife and I) couldn't imagine what she could've eaten. The only thing we could think of is we had a vase of carnations, maybe she ate some of that.

The vet gave her something to stop the vomiting (which worked) and also an antibiotic. This was on a Tuesday. We had to give her some meds on Wed & Thurs.

The worst is she wouldn't eat or drink. We've been using an eye dropper to give her water and chicken broth for 5 days now. Last night, for the very first time, she drank on her own, and a good bit at that. Over a 10 minute period, about 50 laps of water. We've seen her urinate a couple times also.

It's now Saturday, day 6. Kitty is sleeping 20+ hours/day. When she moves, it seems it's very slow & deliberate. But she still won't eat. Over the last 3 days, we've managed to get her to eat about a teaspoon per day of soft pate by putting little bits in her mouth and holding her head up. She opens and closes her jaws and moves her tongue around and swallows it, and we do some more.

She has always been a thin cat to begin with. She also has a thyroid condition which requires a pill every morning and night. She doesn't have a lot of extra body fat to spare.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, scared, and unsure what else I should do. I welcome any advice. I've never had a cat this sick for this long. I'm concerned why she isn't eating, and how long she can go on like this.

Thanks

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your kitty is not feeling well. Antibiotics can sometime really mess up a cat's stomach. What did he give her? The not eating for 6 days is something to be worried about, did you let your vet know ? There are appetite stimulants that might help.Keep getting food into her as you can. Prayers that she gets better soon.

Also What tests did the vet run?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd give the vet a call and express concerns about the cat not eating. The after hours voice mail message should have info on who to call. An appetite stimulant might be needed.

Try syringe feeding your cat some watered down pate food. Most Human pharmacies sell oral syringes. Pet stores sell these for feeding orphaned kittens and puppies who need milk.

Some TCS tips:

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
To me this seems like an Emergency, because of the way you describe Kitty as moving very slow.
G guitarfish ...I would try calling the after hours emergency line, as LTS3 LTS3 mentions, and then an Emergency Vet to try and obtain further instructions.

I'm not sure why your Vet would not have tried an appetite stimulant, or given you instructions and syringes on how to 'syringe feed a cat'. They should have given her some Hill's A/C critical care can food, and further directions on what to look for, and to call back on how she's doing.

Also if they first thought carnation toxicity, did they give her any meds to soothe the lining of her stomach?
It's true that antibiotics would cause food to taste and smell differently, as zed xyzed said, but the Vet should have been more proactive.

Also try to syringe feed Kitty, or use any of the tips below to get her to eat more.
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – Cat Articles
The below video is very thorough in explaining how to syringe feed. It pertains to a CKD cat, but the instructions are similar.
ETA: I should mention that you want to use the cat food that Kitty likes, and not the pumpkin or ckd food in the video.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that this is an emergency, especially since she has eaten so little in the past week. What antibiotic did they give her?

I have a kitty who is prone to gastro problems and has had an issue with gas in his colon from a food change. The food that did the trick to get him eating again was Science Diet a/d from the vet. It caused him to have diarrhea, which I knew would happen, but at least he was eating and we could treat the diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the responses.

We took her to the local Veterinary Clinic which has a number of docs, my wife took kitty in Tues am. I don't know what test was done, but they determined it was gastro and not kidneys. I stand corrected, it wasn't an antibiotic they gave her, but I believe it was something for inflammation.

My wife called the vet back on Friday and specifically said she is not eating, and asked to talk to the doc. She was told the doc that saw the cat wasn't in. So she asked for another doc, but one never came on the line. Instead, someone looked at the chart, and then said "you can make an appointment for Monday." OMG!! After reading the responses here about how quickly this can become an emergency, I am quite infuriated at the vet right now! We paid $525 for this visit. No follow up call, and wouldn't even put a doc on the phone!

My wife gave her about a teaspoon of pate this morning, then I did so his evening. Then after reading the responses here, I gave her another teaspoon. She also had about 15-20 droppers of liquid (chicken broth and water) today. This is the most she's had in a day since this all began. But she is still in distress. She is now sitting in a litter box. I know...this is not good.

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to agree with others. This is an emergency situation. When animals do not eat it is very important to check the insides of their mouth. This is a sign of mouth or tooth pain that needs immediate attention. They don't always cooperate and may have to be sedated a little to do so. Xrays may also need to be done. I am going through some thing simlar with one of my kitty's right now. She has had 3 vet visits and 2 surgeries in the last 2 weeks. Hers was a mass. She is comfortable now. She is eating home cooked soupy chicken breast per our vet for the time being. Please remember each kitty is different and I didn't reply to scare you. Just to urge you to get you kitty to the emergency vet asap.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With how little she's been eating, she probably already has some liver damage but it could be manageable with intensive care at the clinic. Liver can be repaired but there is a "too late" point you need to avoid.

I will repeat at this point I also think she really needs to be taken to the emergency vet and hospitalized for intensive care - IV fluids, the right medicine, and more nutrition in her system. She doesn't get enough nutrition to fight off what got her sick in the first place.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My wife called the vet back on Friday and specifically said she is not eating, and asked to talk to the doc. She was told the doc that saw the cat wasn't in. So she asked for another doc, but one never came on the line. Instead, someone looked at the chart, and then said "you can make an appointment for Monday."
I'm so sorry your cat and you are going through this heartbreaking experience but this is a dire emergency. It would be in her best interest to go to a different vet since the clinic you went to is not taking her situation seriously. As other members have stated, an ER veterinarian would be best. Please keep us posted on her progress. Fingers crossed for your cat that she will pull through without any liver damage. :crossfingers:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely find another vet!! that is awful behaviour on their part. I have been to about 5 different vets until I found one I completely trust and are there for my boys when ever I need them. I don't mean to pile on but I have to agree that your girl needs medical attention asap!!. Please let us know how the poor girl is doing. Hoping for a happy outcome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been an absolutely exhausting week. I took her to an emergency veterinary hospital this morning. Our girl Pearl is now at peace.

We rescued her 6 years ago and after bringing her home and getting her acclimated & observing her behavior, my wife and I felt she might have been mistreated by whoever had her previously. We also found her to be very lethargic, and soon she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. So we had to force a pill on her every morning & night, which she really disliked. She never had much of an appetite, and never gained weight and filled out as I hoped she would. Around age 6 she had to have a tooth extraction, and her teeth weren't the greatest.

This last week was hellacious for her and us. My wife was up with her almost all last night. Clearly she was very uncomfortable. We felt she lost her will and was waiting for us to recognize that. But so incredibly painful for us.

I felt like we gave her the best life possible, and it made me feel good that she was so loved despite her problems. I never felt like she would have a long life as some of our other cats did (one living to 18). But I wasn't ready to lose her so suddenly. This isn't the first time I've gone through this, I honestly don't know how many more times I can do it.

We have 2 other rescues here (one who came home the same day from the same shelter as Pearl). They are healthy and happy, and we are thankful we have them in our lives. Thank you everyone for your support. I wish it had a happy outcome.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I deleted my previous comment because i didnt see your last post. I am so sorry about your cat Pearl. You did your best to care for her, and she seemed to have been affected by several conditions. You and your wife gave her some wonderful moments in the time you had with her. I hope your other cats stay healthy.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It has been an absolutely exhausting week. I took her to an emergency veterinary hospital this morning. Our girl Pearl is now at peace.
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your wife. :hugs: You gave Pearl her forever home and she knew how much she was loved. Her memories will live on in your hearts and she is running pain free at the Bridge now. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss G guitarfish It sounds as if you did everything you could for Pearl. We always lock the threads as a sign of respect when a cat has passed, so I'll lock this one now. When you feel ready please start a thread in Pearl's memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in Peace sweet Pearl.

:catface:

Status
Not open for further replies.