Sick Cat, But Unclear Diagnosis From The Vet

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. One of them got really sick 3 days ago, vomitting, gagging and coughing, stopped eating, and seemed like he was not breathing well. It was like he was choking on something and trying to get it out.
He vomitted a hairball, but then started vomitting undigested food and eventually only bile.
Today was my third visit at the vet clinic. NO DIAGNOSIS, 2 first times they did nothing but take his temperature, charging me for that and selling me medicine. He was on antibiotics and some other things for Gastritis and Vomitting.
Today they asked for X ray and blood tests. Then said they had to keep him in for the night.
STILL NO CLEAR DIAGNOSIS. At first we suspected an obstruction, but there was none. They said something seemed off about his Pancreas and that is why they needed to perform more tests.
The thing is, the symptoms I explained are : "everytime I brought him back home, he spent the whole night making this weird cough sound, as if he was gasping for air. He would stand from time to time to cough louder, but the coughing just hasen't stopped in over 48h "
So I would expect them to at least check his breathing or give him anything to ease that.
No one has had the kindess to call me and at least say what it COULD be. I called several times, they said he was not coughing and was doing fine. Which is unlikely because nothing was done to treat that particular symptom, and they still had to keep him overnight.
I was told that if I take the tests to the vet in the Animal shelter (which is free), they would give me a diagnosis, as they have nothing to win from keeping my cat for no reason.
But then again, the blood tests could be inconclusive.
I do not know what to do. I am really worried.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, call the shelter that they recommended and ask if that is true. Second, NEVER hesitate to seek a second opinion from an independent vet, one not associated with that clinic. There is something going on here, and your current vet seems not to be interested in the breathing issue, which I consider VERY important. PLEASE let us know how he's doing! OH...did they check for blockage in his throat, specifically?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Second, NEVER hesitate to seek a second opinion from an independent vet, one not associated with that clinic.
I agree with getting an independent second opinion from another vet, not one at at the same clinic. :agree:

Today they asked for X ray and blood tests. Then said they had to keep him in for the night.
Welcome to TCS although I'm sorry you're experiencing a health issue with your cat. Just out of curiosity, if they took x-rays and blood tests but could not diagnose anything, why did they want to to keep him overnight? Did they say what it was for? Is he still coughing? Did they say if he was congested?

I understand your worry, I would be worried too. Please keep us posted on his progress. I hope you can get an accurate diagnosis perhaps from another vet. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Echoing Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and neely neely .

If the tests you share with a second vet or clinic are deemed inconclusive, they will tell you. Make sure you get ALL of his records for the second opinion, not just selectively what your current vet wants them to have. You have a right to ask for copies of all of the records.

Btw, his pancreatic enzymes are likely off given his vomiting and not eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, call the shelter that they recommended and ask if that is true. Second, NEVER hesitate to seek a second opinion from an independent vet, one not associated with that clinic. There is something going on here, and your current vet seems not to be interested in the breathing issue, which I consider VERY important. PLEASE let us know how he's doing! OH...did they check for blockage in his throat, specifically?
I will do that first thing in the morning.
I know right, when for the first 2 times he only took his Temp without checking anything else, I did not understand. I will definitely let you know once I see the vet tomorow.

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with getting an independent second opinion from another vet, not one at at the same clinic. :agree:

Welcome to TCS although I'm sorry you're experiencing a health issue with your cat. Just out of curiosity, if they took x-rays and blood tests but could not diagnose anything, why did they want to to keep him overnight? Did they say what it was for? Is he still coughing? Did they say if he was congested?

I understand your worry, I would be worried too. Please keep us posted on his progress. I hope you can get an accurate diagnosis perhaps from another vet. :alright:
I really hope so too. Thank you so much
They said absolutely nothing.
- First visit : Taking temperature and giving a shot God knows what + Prescribing Antibiotics and Nausea medicine and Aluminium Phosphate
- Second visit (after he spent the night coughing and gasping for air) : Taking temperature and giving same shot
- Third visit : X-Ray that showed no obstruction but apparently showed a problem in the Pancreas, so must perform blood tests.

I called and asked, he said he had to keep him overnight. Which I guess is because he stopped eating ? I called again she said he was okey, not coughing.

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Echoing Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and neely neely .

If the tests you share with a second vet or clinic are deemed inconclusive, they will tell you. Make sure you get ALL of his records for the second opinion, not just selectively what your current vet wants them to have. You have a right to ask for copies of all of the records.

Btw, his pancreatic enzymes are likely off given his vomiting and not eating.
So what seemed off with his Pancreas could also be due to the symptoms of something else. Making it only an additional symptom for what hasen't been diagnosed yet. I will definitely ask for all records.
Also He was castrated there last week, about 4 days before this started.
This is honestly worying. I don't now how I'm gonna go through the night.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Relax. You are taking all the right steps to get to the bottom of this.

Feed him whatever he is willing to eat right now, just to make sure he is at least getting nutrition - and hydration. And, just watch over him. I am guessing he is relatively young, just having been neutered, so youth/resilience is on his side!!

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Relax. You are taking all the right steps to get to the bottom of this.

Feed him whatever he is willing to eat right now, just to make sure he is at least getting nutrition - and hydration. And, just watch over him. I am guessing he is relatively young, just having been neutered, so youth/resilience is on his side!!
He is 13 months. And I don't have him now. He is spending the night at the clinic.
Right now all I can do is wait. The clinic opens at 9, so I'll have to keep myself busy for the next 10 hours. :sigh:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOSH YES! Do keep us posted! A thought...vomiting like that can be very irritating to the throat, which might have started the coughing, which led to MORE irritation, which led to more coughing. It is just possible that was the issue. We'll certainly hope so!

Jesset1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor baby. Mine is 8 months old and going through something similar. We are still running tests to figure it out. Prayers for you guys. My best advice after 6 months of dealing with this....do a lot of research and always question the doctor. You know your baby better than anyone...if you feel they're wrong..say so. It will cut the unnecessary expenses...which rack up fast as you know.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you go for a second opinion, maybe try to find a feline only vet. That might help.
Keep us posted! Please!

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,
I just called to check on him. I asked why I didn't recieve blood tests results yesterday as agreed upon. They were like we'll call you as soon as the vet is here.
I asked if he was okey, if he was even alive !! And she said : I did not get to check yet !

I did do a lot of research, tried to push them to focus on what seemed wrong to me ( breathing issues) but not once have they looked into that. I feel helpless, like it 's their job and they know better, I have nowhere better to take him have to and deciding to take him somewhere else might make him feel worse.
If he is still alive! I am so mad my heart is racing. But I know going and making a scene will get me nowhere.
How can you not tell me if he is alive!

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got back. They are keeping him for 3 more days.
The X rays showed no obstruction but a lot of gas.
The blood test results are not good. Basically he has had fever for 3 days and he has an infection but we don't know why or from what.
I saw him and it killed me. Breathing with mouth open and drooling. He is on drip and I asked them to see why he has trouble breathing but they insist it's not that.
Asked to do a second x ray with some kind of injected fluid and an endoscopy. BUT THERE IS NO OBSTRUCTION.
Please can anyone who has been through this tell me if these look normal and consistent with the "diagnosis" they gave me.

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything is in French, but I think the abbreviations are the same in English.
Also, please if you know any vet forum where I can post the pictures and symptoms let me know.
My gut is telling me that the vet is ignoring obvious symptoms and focusing on conducting more tests.
:frown::sniffle::confused2:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope someone can interpret the x-ray better than I can, but the HCT (red blood cell count) and HGB (hemoglobin - how oxygen is transported through the body) both being elevated does sound like a breathing/lung issue, or possibly a heart condition - to me.

I do know that HGB can be elevated by dehydration, so that might be part of it. I am not sure if that applies to the HCT or not.

Last edited:

Reemah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So he might have a breathing issue ?
I am reading about FIP too, but I don't know.
I should't be going through all of this and doing all this research while he is at a clinic.
Taking him there has brought me nothing. I don't even feel like he is safe.
I am so angry.