Sick baby

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So back a couple weeks ago it was extremely cold and rain/sleeting so we brought in two mostly feral kittens and their momma their well over 8 weeks probably close to 16 not certain we brought them in putting them in an unheated spare bedroom with blankets galore a potty bix toys food and water and a nearly worn out cat tree that should have been going to the curb that day lol..but Sunday I noticed one if the boys was wheezing and you could kinda see his third eyelid well I decided if he wasn't better I'd take him in.

today we'll got him in right after work 105 fever weighs 3.4 lbs still pretty feral guns are bright red and he's slightly dehydrated, he was treated for worm war nights and given antibiotics and an injection of subs q fluids as he's a rescue this only cost me $85 with antibiotics to bring home
IMG_20221027_181910.jpg

. Spooks is still really feral and likely contagious but I have him in a large pet carrier in a room my own cats don't frequently go in because the only spare room is unheated. Do you think he will make my own cats sick this way? The vet said he needed a warmer environment and he most likely contracted it outdoors but showed up now after he was able to relax without the stress and dangers of outside to deal with.

So what do you guys think the pet carrier is designed for a medium to large dog and was used as the kennel for my 15 lb Crested Schnauzer till she got a new one for Christmas that's easier to open in case of emergency and because I have issues with the nerves in my hands.

Picture taken in November. Spooks has the least white. As soon as they're tame enough and well I'm looking for them a home as I have 5 of my own I plan to pay half the nuter costs in lieu of a rehoming fee.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cats are OK as long as they don't go in the room til his fever goes down. When my cat had a cold I got a heated bed. Or a humidifier

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might ask on your neighborhood buy/sell/trade or free page if anyone has a large wire crate they'd be willing to give you. Make sure you wash your hands after handling the sick kitty and before you touch your residents. You can also try a humidifier/vaporizer to help him breathe and a warming disc or heating pad to keep him warm. If you're in a tight spot financially, you can make a rice sock and warm it in the microwave and wrap in a hand towel and place next to him to help keep him warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might ask on your neighborhood buy/sell/trade or free page if anyone has a large wire crate they'd be willing to give you. Make sure you wash your hands after handling the sick kitty and before you touch your residents. You can also try a humidifier/vaporizer to help him breathe and a warming disc or heating pad to keep him warm. If you're in a tight spot financially, you can make a rice sock and warm it in the microwave and wrap in a hand towel and place next to him to help keep him warm.
Thanks but for tonight a cuddle toy will have to do as our microwave died as I was cooking dinner aka warming a can of veggies (whining, flashing lights, smoking) but I have my aunt brining me one tomorrow so I'll do this then. The vet wants to see him again in 24 hours to check on his fever.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your cats are OK as long as they don't go in the room til his fever goes down. When my cat had a cold I got a heated bed. Or a humidifier
They go in the room but are staying at a distance from the pet carrier its the only solution I can think of we heat with a floor furnace thus closed doors= no heat bathroom isn't an option either currently we're in the middle of revamping the shower the lan was cracked/leaking-( old house).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have my aunt brining me one tomorrow so I'll do this then.
If you don't have a microwave, set your oven on the lowest setting for a few minutes, turn it off, put the rice sock (a sock partially filled with dry rice or dry beans) on a sheet pan or something, and place that in the oven for a few minutes. Test it on your own skin so its not too hot.

Alternatively, hold that baby on your chest.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How's he doing today? If you have one, an ear baby thermometer is good for taking kitty temps. It's not 100% accurate like a rectal temp, but it's close enough. My cat only vet uses the ear thermometers.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's much better today more feisty ate an entire can of 9lives kitten patee.

also when vet rechecked had gained 7oz and fever had dropped to 103 still high but not as dangerous sent home fever reducer/painkiller one dose every 24hrs for 4 days only cost $10 for new meds plus $25 office exam.

also his eyes are no longer showing the third eyelid and his sneezing/wheezing has improved antibiotics twice a day and painkillers kept in a larger pet carrier in a room my cats mostly stay out of and when they go in have kept a distance from Spooks bed seem to know he's sicky. so he seems to be improving.

now the hard part will be when he's all well in 2-3 weeks giving him and Casper up.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update on Baby Spooks 😍

Its hard to believe this is the sane kitten who barely tolerated me picking him up to bring him in when it was so freaking cold and was,still howdy and standoffish Sunday. I just gave him his second dose of antibiotics for the day and cleaned his potty, and well instead of sitting in the back corner of his bed with his cuddle toy he was at the bars when I opened his bed he took his meds like a lil angel then crawled into my arms for a snuggle purring all the while and not wanting to let go of my shirt to go back to bed then after refilling his water, I went to get his nightly can and put up his meds.

I came back and he'd spilled his water so clean bedding was gotten and spooks got a second cuddle before I added water to his can and put him and it back to bed washed changed my shirt and left the room with him crying for me to come back.

I couldn't stay with him much longer right then as my dog was scratching at my leg to go out but I'll snuggle him again later I think his fever is down again he seems perkier and is so sweet and snuggly I may keep him.

Definitely getting more snuggle time tomorrow just trying to be so very careful as one of my 5 a female Got outside we got her back in and scheduled a spay but the vet is backed up due to being affordable and her pregnancy was discovered at her prespay check up (he insists free 24 hrs before spay/nuter of indoor cat) she currently has 5- 7 week kittens whom I don't want to expose to Spooks illness.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it's looking like Casper is coming down with the same illness, last night at bedtime check in his eyes were watering and he sneezed so today he's going into my other big pet carrier not quite as big and going to get a dose of his brothers Antibiotics and see his Dr on Saturday.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You're doing a great job as their caretaker and Spooks is grateful for all your kindness. :heartshape: It warms my heart to hear you may want to keep this little snuggler. I hope that Casper bounces back soon on the antibiotics and his doctor appointment goes well.:crossfingers:

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing a great job as their caretaker and Spooks is grateful for all your kindness. :heartshape: It warms my heart to hear you may want to keep this little snuggler. I hope that Casper bounces back soon on the antibiotics and his doctor appointment goes well.:crossfingers:
If I keep him I will have 6 cats and a dog indoors, its a lot but I'm considering it. He's wheezing again but fingers crossed its a minor setback. He only wants to drunk water mixed with canned food which is a bit worrying butbtwo cans a day with added water and bowl of fresh 3-4 times a day fingers crossed. He did have an accident out side the small litterbox thinking Dirreah is a side effect of wormer and only eating Wet cat food. I'm starting to love this lil guy a lot. I am doing my vest to avoid cross contamination by changing into a special shirt to care for Spooks.

Casper - not nearly as sick as Spooks minor eye running and a couple sneezes.

Will update y'all after the vet tomorrow.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it's looking like Casper is coming down with the same illness, last night at bedtime check in his eyes were watering and he sneezed so today he's going into my other big pet carrier not quite as big and going to get a dose of his brothers Antibiotics and see his Dr on Saturday.
❤🙏

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay All update

Casper is better and just has a small cold should resolve.

Spooks is still sporting a 103-104 fever and wheezing
Vet said keep up with antibiotics and forcing him to drink come back in 2 weeks.

He was given Wormer and the vet is concerned about the fever not reducing in two weeks being ad the boys were strays ferals or dumped he wants to do a blood test for FIV/Felv and do a fecal to look for other parasites besides those handled by the standard wormer.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He was given Wormer and the vet is concerned about the fever not reducing in two weeks being ad the boys were strays ferals or dumped he wants to do a blood test for FIV/Felv and do a fecal to look for other parasites besides those handled by the standard wormer.
I think that's a good plan and it sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :thumbsup: Good luck and I hope Spooks' fever comes down while continuing the antibiotics. Glad to hear Casper is better with only a small cold. Thanks for the updates, we appreciate it.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys question dunno if you can answer but i goofed up last night and left Spooks amoxicillin out of the fridge for about 5 hrs after giving him, his second meds I set about cleaning the kennel he's staying in putting the meds down on a near 8table well I forgot them and went to bed 5 hrs later the dog wakes me up to go out and I decide while up to check on Spooks and saw his meds the room he's in is 75-80 degrees as it has its own space heater (laundry room/converted porch usually used to keep pipes from freezing. ) Anyway the bottle was cool not cold and I stuck it back in the fridge right away so is it still safe to use or do you think I need to call the vets emergency line as it's Sunday.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but I think you're ok. According to what I read, it's preferable to have it refrigerated but it can also be stored at room temp, although away from moisture (not in a bathroom).