Sick After Deworming?

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys!
I have an orphan kitten, raised by me on a bottle since she was maybe a week.
Now she is almost 7 weeks. I had a hard time getting her to eat solid food but during the last week she started to eat wet kitten food and some dry from Royal Canin. I also fed her the bottle 2-3 times a day to make sure she gets enough food.
Friday I took her to the vet to get her dewormed as I noticed a worm that looked like a rice in her bed. The vet said it’s tapeworm and since she had a lot of fleas when I got her, it’s very likely.
Vet administered some liquid dewormer after she weighed her (800g).
During the weekend she refused the bottle and only ate wet food. Last night she threw up once and had a semi loose stool, but I couldn’t check for sure because it was already integrated in her litter.
Now she seems fine, she eats and she plays but she still looks a bit sleepy. Didn’t throw up again. No stools yet. She drinks water.
I called my vet and she said that the dewormer shouldn’t cause these symptoms but she recommended to keep an eye on her and if she gets sicker to bring her in tomorrow morning.
I did the pinching test and she isn’t dehydrated.

There is another thing. I left her with my mom for a little while yesterday. My mom made some tomato salad and the cat licked of some leftover from the plate. Could this be it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention she threw up milk, i’m Pretty sure. Yesterday night I tried one more time to give her the bottle thinking she might want to suckle before bed but only ate 10 ml and then refused.
Today she only ate wet kitten food from Royal canin and some boiled chicken with rice, no milk. Too scared to give her something that might upset her stomach.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tomato salad as such shouldnt be harmful, but it depends on exactly what was in the salad...

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing else but tomatoes.

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my kittens is quite fine. I took her to the vet after I posted because I also noticed her urine was a pink-red. The veterinarian took some urine samples, but overall she said the kitten looks good. Today I received the results and turns out she has some crystals in her urine. I have her on meds and only wet food until the other results come back, to see if she has an infection going on. Since Monday night, the pee was clean and her appetite came back, she is now better than ever.
I’m afraid I made a mistake that caused this, I actually gave her some alkaline water because I confused the bottles. The vet said it’s very likely that the increase in PH caused this. I feel so bad. When I noticed I changed the water immediately but she still had time to drink half the bowl.
I hope everything will be okay. Right now I’m giving her Urys and some vitamins once a day, for 20 days.

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, the vet didn’t believe me when I told her she’s only 7 weeks. She thought it’s much older and said my kitten is going to be a huge cat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Kudos for being proactive and taking her to the vet!! What a relief to have that taken care of before things got worse - crystals are so painful. And it sounds like you are doing a great job with your little princess - my bottle baby is quite small. We love pictures here at TCS. This is my Tillie 20190729_145336.jpg

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I need an opinion. So she is 7 weeks, she eats Royal Canine Kitten wet food or Kitten pate. She has been very reluctant to any food except her bottle from the very beginning, she started eating in the past two weeks but I still supplement with the bottle. She eats maybe 2 teaspoons of wet food per meal, 2 times a day. Two meals consist in milk (50ml each meal). She still craves her bottle. While my vet said that it’s time to take her off milk for good and only give her solids, I feel like I should continue bottle feeding until I am sure she eats enough food. What do you guys think? I also think it’s good for her water intake, as she needs to stay hydrated in order to eliminate her problems.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable, what a little face :hellocomputer:
At 7 weeks she's more than old enough to give up the bottle. Are you giving regular milk, or KMR (kitten milk replacer)? Can you get a hold of some goats milk to wean her off the bottle? (She can have this into adult hood, the goats milk. Our cats get it several times a week, and they're ages 5-12 years!)
We had a bottle baby nurse on fingers, toes, and toys until he was a year old. It was a comfort for him and we didn't discourage it. Was she a single ton orphaned kitten?
Is it possible she doesn't like the Royal Canin? You could try other brands, proteins, flavors, or styles. Some cats like more soupy food (think broth or gravy style) and others prefer a more compact pate food. If she's coming off the bottle and milk, a gravy food she can lick might entice her more.
If she were eating more, I'd be tempted to continue with the bottle until she's old enough to give it up on her own will, but she needs a little bit more than milk at her age and if the bottle is keeping her off the food, it might be best to take it away and start offering different foods to tempt her.
Furballsmom Furballsmom has a great list of foods to tempt picky cats or cats not eating enough. She'll be along I hope and share that with you :wave3:

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom thank you! I will take a look.
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 she was raised on Royal canin kitten milk. She was found on the street when she was barely 1 week old. Don’t know much about her.
It is possible that she doesn’t like the food that i’m Giving her. At my moms house, she got a hold of a bowl with whiskas wet tuna food, she practically destroyed the bowl. But I cannot give her that, I know whiskas isn’t the best choice.

Also, I noticed she’s eliminating worms in her poop. I don’t know what to do, the vet gave her a mild liquid dewormer last Friday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think continuing with her milk bottles a little longer is fine if she is not chewing on the nipples.

If you are seeing worms in her poop you’ll want to call the vet. She probably needs another round of de-wormimg medication. It usually takes two rounds.

Also, try the Fancy Feast Classic brands of wet food. Either the kitten formula or the adult classic is an excellent, meat-as first-ingredient food. She may like it better than the Royal Canin. I raised my kittens on Fancy Feast and they are now four years old, still eating it, and healthy as can be! :)

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really bad news!
I took her to the vet this morning to ask about the worms in her feces and she had fever.
The vet performed a triple test on her, for Panleukopenia, Giardia and Coronavirus.
Turns out the vet thinks it’s positive for Coronavirus, I say “thinks” because there wasn’t any proeminent line, we went outside in the daylight and didn’t see much, maybe a faint line?
She said that Coronavirus is common in cats and she wouldn’t be worried if she didn’t have a fever. We are waiting for the final results from the urine tests to see if she has an infection, as this could cause the fever.
After the vet she was a little bit lethargic but now she is more active, she drank water, she ate a little bit and peed.
I am devastated. I hang on to every hope there is!

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, the fever went down as she administered antibiotics.
She thinks it’s an urinary infection because there are white cells in her urine.

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, I took Bibba to the vet again this morning. Her fever went down last night and the vet confirmed it. She eats, she drinks, she plays a lot and seems back to her old self.
The veterinarian said that it’s most likely not FIP, because the fever broke down and she doesn’t show any sign of it. Abdomen is not bloated. She talked to one of her colleagues and told me that sometimes when an infection is present (like the urinary infection she suspects) the Coronavirus test can show false positive.
We are still waiting for the urine test results to come back.
I don’t know what to think! Still very worried.

fefeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has her on a large spectrum antibiotic until she knows exactly if it’s an urinary infection.
Bibba always had problems when it comes to pee! Since I took her in I noticed that she was peeing on herself constantly, I was doing my job stimulating her every feeding but in between meals she was always wet with pee. I addressed this to the vet back then and she said it’s too small to do something about it. Since she was litter trained I never had a problem with it again but she did pee quite a lot.
Today she still seems to be uncomfortable when she goes to the litter. She’s closing her eyes and almost falls onto her belly while urinating but no blood since Monday. Probably the meds did some trick.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she on clavamox? It takes a good three days to begin to work. She really needs food and water. Is she eating and drinking?