Sick 7 Week Old Kitten

LocoCocoBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a 7 week old kitten that started vomiting & has diarrhea. She will go in the litter box, but is weak. Her eyes are fine. What can I do to help her?
I cannot get her to a vet. She has 3 healthy sisters & brothers.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First Aid is urgent: Maintain body warmth; prevent dehydration; keep blood sugar up; encourage her emotionally
HEAT:
Give her a heat source but make sure that she can move away. Rice-or-cornmeal filled socks work well and are cheaper to throw away if they get dirty. You microwave them for a minute or two then wrap in a rag in case there are hot spots. Unlike an electric heated pet pad, you have to keep them switched out or keep reheating. If you don't have a microwave, saute the grain on low heat in a frying pan and use a funnel to fill the sock (a cheap funnel can be made by cutting off the top half of a plastic large size juice or drink bottle - the larger the opening, the better).
BLOOD SUGAR:
Rub white Karo corn syrup or honey on her gums. If you can find unflavored glucose paste for diabetics, you can use that. If all else fails, make a sugar paste of 1 teaspoon sugar to 1 tablespoon water. Just rub a tab on her gums at a time, about every 10-15 minutes.

HYDRATION:
Electrolytes keep her hydrated. Ideally, give her unflavored pedialyte mixed 50/50 with bottled, filtered or well water (tap water from a municipal system has harsh chemicals). If you need to, you can make a homemade solution, preferably with pink (Himalayan) salt and unbleached sugar - our TCS member Hissy has a recipe on her website: Kitten-Rescue.com

ENCOURAGEMENT:

Gently cleaning the kitten is very therapeutic. I like to use large cosmetic pads or cotton balls. If the baby's rear is not too sore yet, try to dry it off then add a finger tap of cornstarch topped with a light coating of coconut oil, olive oil or UNSCENTED vaseline. If the tissues are red and inflamed, use an antibiotic ointment like neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever - the pain reliever will burn PLUS is toxic if ingested.
Also, when you can't hold the kitten next to you, give her a ticking travel clock and an old stuffed animal to cuddle with while keeping next to the heat source.
Sadly, without a vet's medicine, the illness will attack all of the litter. But it could be that she has eaten a poisonous substance Please keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. I want to stress the need of giving salts and fluid.
In practice it will be pedialyte bough or homemade.
Giving just wAter dilutes her bodyfluids. One of the few occasions where water is de facto poisonous.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a shelter or clinic to help.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would advice you on kitten diarrhea but the vomiting worries me ... take her to the vet today or at the latest first thing in the morning! If she gets worse take her to an emergency vet!!! It could be fairly benign food changes or worms OR it could be something far worse like a disease (panleukopenia) or she ate something poisonous. Little kittens are fragile!

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/feline-panleukopenia.aspx