Siberian Breeders

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all I recently posted a thread about deciding to get a retired breeder, I have decided to go through with it, and was told the cat(cat A) I'm planning to get loves other cats, and I was already planning on having 2 Siberians, just a bit further down the line so I would be getting the one in September range, and another a year or so from then, but since she loves cats and is also younger than any other cat I have owned at 2 years old, I felt for playtime purposes it might be nice to get 2 within the same time period. The breeder of cat A who I am 100% comfortable with only has cat A available for a long time, so I was looking at other breeders with retired adults, and found siberian stars cattery in Illinois, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Or any other catteries in the midwest they would recommend? Cat A will also be having a litter of kittens though, and I was considering getting one of her kittens with her, but my girlfriend is wary of personality change in kittens, but we also have yet to find another breeder within a reasonable distance from us we like more than the breeder of Cat A sorry if this is too long or confusing, just looking for any advice. We are dead set on getting Cat A though so any others would be in addition to Cat A, part of getting her and one of her kittens is not having to go through a slow introduction period lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also if recommending a breeder, if you know, I'd like to know if all their cats have been scanned for HCM, and PKD as that's one of my girlfriend's ways of judging how responsible they are, along with what their fed, and where their kept and several other things...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any other cats now? I have seen you post about Wilbur, but not sure if he lives with you.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have any other cats now? I have seen you post about Wilbur, but not sure if he lives with you.
Wilbur had to be put down due to kidney failure and a variety of other problems which is part of why we are looking for a purebred as we no longer have a cat with regular allergens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wilbur had to be put down due to kidney failure and a variety of other problems which is part of why we are looking for a purebred as we no longer have a cat with regular allergens.
I'm so sorry to hear.

I think start with the one girl and see how she does; get to know her. You can always wait for the right Siberian rescue or another retired breeder to come up, and you've got some time. She will be between 2-3 when you get her, which is not really a kitten. She will still want to play, but won't have relentless energy. A kitten might be a bit overwhelming.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear.

I think start with the one girl and see how she does; get to know her. You can always wait for the right Siberian rescue or another retired breeder to come up, and you've got some time. She will be between 2-3 when you get her, which is not really a kitten. She will still want to play, but won't have relentless energy. A kitten might be a bit overwhelming.
One of the main concerns is that Cat A is already friendly with other cats, but given an extended amount of time on her own, she might grow to prefer being on her own, and treat even a slow introduction with hostility and that we'd be unable to have a second cat for the hopefully many years we would have with Cat A. Do you think she'd become "unsocialized" within the unknown time period we would be spending to find/wait for another Siberian. Also we are wary of introducing as we've always been a single cat household and are new to it hence the appeal of one of her kittens.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Siberian stars also has retired breeders but we don't know as much about them, so we were wondering if anyone else has experience?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since allergies are involved, I would suggest that you consider just getting the one cat, for now. "Hypoallergenic" doesn't mean "non-allergenic"... it just means less allergenic than the average cat. One cat will be less of an allergen load than two cats.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since allergies are involved, I would suggest that you consider just getting the one cat, for now. "Hypoallergenic" doesn't mean "non-allergenic"... it just means less allergenic than the average cat. One cat will be less of an allergen load than two cats.
We are aware of this should mentioned it in this post but I'm pretty sure we mentioned it in the other one, we figured 2 low allergen cats would be equivalent or less than our usual one DSH, as Siberians significantly less allergen than the average cat, hence why we are now considering 2. She is prepared to still take some allergy medicine her goal is to reduce the required medicine from 3 a day to 1 a day with these.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very difficult to predict in advance how an allergic person will react to living with a new cat, regardless of its breed. I personally think it would be better to introduce one cat at a time and see how it goes. You can always add another cat later, assuming this cat turns out to be as easy to tolerate as you hope. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very difficult to predict in advance how an allergic person will react to living with a new cat, regardless of its breed. I personally think it would be better to introduce one cat at a time and see how it goes. You can always add another cat later. Of course, that's just my opinion.
That makes sense, she has never been too concerned about her allergies as her general life plan with them is always just to add more medicine as needed, but she's also been on a version of allergy shots for 3 years now to reduce her cat allergy and her cat allergy has decreased and her allergist has approved her having cats although she had them even when it wasn't approved....

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t think she will become unsocialized. I think she will bond with you, and you will know if another cat should be brought in down the line. My retired breeder girl is clearly thrilled to be an only cat and to get some time to herself!

Take some time and let all of you adjust before adding any other unknowns.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t think she will become unsocialized. I think she will bond with you, and you will know if another cat should be brought in down the line. My retired breeder girl is clearly thrilled to be an only cat and to get some time to herself!

Take some time and let all of you adjust before adding any other unknowns.
We never planned to have just one cat at a time, we ended up with one at first because we fell in love with him but he didn't like other cats, but since Cat A likes other cats we don't want to lose that quality of her as well as lose the ability to have a second cat. We'd each like to have "our own" cats, since it not that easy to share a cats attention and also the miraculous snuggle puddle that can form is perfect. We may wait and see if the breeder we are 100% with retires more in the future as we trust them, but is there a particular reason we should or shouldn't also get one of her kittens with her, as she would already bond with that kitten, and boo introductions would be needed? To my understanding, kittens aren't that overwhelming, especially when also being looked after by their mother? All I know that is truly important and different is that they benefit from a different diet than adult cats, as well as that we would play an important role in acclimating them to what we think their norms should be.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry this isn't relevant to anything but your cat's eyes are stunning, is your cat a specific breed or something, I've never seen brown eyes like that on a cat.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry this isn't relevant to anything but your cat's eyes are stunning, is your cat a specific breed or something, I've never seen brown eyes like that on a cat.
Sorry this is for lutece I thought I quoted your post but apparently failed.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat in my avatar is a Chartreux. She has copper-colored eyes.