Siamese?

Kiko8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meet Kiko! She is 3 years old. I adopted her from someone on craigslist who was looking to find her another home due to relocation.
Her original owners stated she's a Siamese and adopted her when she was small enough to fit in their hand. From what I've researched, she has the personality of a Siamese with the exception of being extremely vocal. I'm trying to figure out if she is in fact a Siamese and if so, which kind? Chocolate point? Seal point? Domestic or purebred? If anyone has more information, I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! She is seal point in color. Without papers, she would technically be described as a seal point domestic shorthair, but she does look like she could be a purebred Siamese, or have a lot of Siamese ancestry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Looks of a very nice siamese old type.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Siamese old type are nowdays called for Thai.

Its not totally out of the range, she may be compared to a sibling breed, the Tonkinese. Whom are constructed from a combo of siamese old type and burmese, with the siamese old type overall looks, but darker in the body than a majority of siameses.
And the breeders try to get blue eyes on them (which isnt nothing automatic with such a combo! Burmese point isnt connected with blue eyes as such).

IF so, she would be a really good examplar, comparable to a show quality, with her clearly blue eyes... Without papers, she is still a good old type siamese look alike, even if politely called for a siamese old type.

But its nice to dream about a possible ancestry... Say, preg momma fled from a mating, or fled from a Show, and our street urchin is really a true princess of the Royal house...

[Im talking about orphan whom is a street urchin, because a good breeder of show quality cats doesnt sell them when they are THAT small. BYBs may do it, but they produce seldom good show quality cats]

K Kiko8

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually don't think that Kiko looks very "old style"... her head is quite long. I think she looks more like a pet quality modern Siamese from a non-show breeder... I can easily imagine that she might have come from a BYB. Her ears are a bit small and high set for a Siamese, but Siamese in the US tend to have less extreme ear set, compared to the extremely large and low ears that you may be used to seeing on Siamese and Orientals in Europe, StefanZ StefanZ .
Its not totally out of the range, she may be compared to a sibling breed, the Tonkinese. Whom are constructed from a combo of siamese old type and burmese, with the siamese old type overall looks, but darker in the body than a majority of siameses.
And the breeders try to get blue eyes on them (which isnt nothing automatic with such a combo! Burmese point isnt connected with blue eyes as such).
Kiko doesn't look like any Tonkinese that I have seen (and we see this breed quite often here). Tonkinese are much more moderate in body and head type, with much shorter heads than Kiko, and heavier boning. As far as colors, Tonkinese are accepted in pointed, mink, and "solid" (sepia). Pointed Tonkinese have the same contrast between body and points as the Siamese. Mink Tonkinese are darker in the body than Siamese, but are bred for aqua eyes, not blue eyes.
There is lots of information about Tonkinese here: Tonkinese Description: Breed Description, Colors, Personality, History
and a pdf presentation here: http://www.tonkinesebc.org/Judges Workshop July 2017 Tonkinese V2 PDF.pdf

Last edited: