Siamese

Alyssa_Pettyjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just started on this page, I have no idea what I'm doing or if I'm doing this page right, but I do know that I want to breed my CFA registered, purebred, chocolate point, male Siamese before I get him fixed. He also has a championship bloodline, I have all the proof. I'm still trying to understand it, but he loves to swim, he sits, walks on a leash and shakes your hand. His best friend is my spayed rescue June, so he is very well socialized with kids and other animals. So if anyone knows anyone that has a female contact me and we can discuss it. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you contacted the breeder you got him from? If he has championship bloodlines I would think there is something in the contract about breeding him. Do you have breeding rights to him?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The advice to contact the breeder is good. He will advise you how to go further. He also probably knows other breeders whom would be happy to lend services of a stud.

In Sweden its very common we do use studs from outside - my chief resident is such a one, for example.

But in USa its common breeders use heavily their own studs, or lend from someone they cooperate with.

Still, there is surely a need for a good "free sword" stud.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that you should contact the breeder, assuming you have the breeding rights. Even if they don’t have a female that he can breed with, they’ll know someone who does. Each mating needs to be done with quite a bit of thought, (ie, are the cats genetically different enough? Do their traits match in a way that will produce on-standard kittens?), so your breeder should help you and guide you through that process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alyssa_Pettyjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have breeding rights, I purchased him from a petland because not only was he gorgeous, but he was alone. I want to breed him because Siamese are becoming hard to get. Especially purebred, he came from South Carolina and I want to do somewhere closer.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are still Petlands that exist? I thought they had all been shut down as inhumane? That is unfortunate. If he came from true championship lines and is the best example of the breed and is properly health certified for genetic conditions, a breeder would not just take it to a pet shop to sell. Those are all amish and cat/puppy mill animals. No one should be breeding them.

Alyssa_Pettyjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I worked there. Simply to get veterinarian experience. All of their animals are purebred. They buy from breeders. Petland rome uses USDA licensed breeders and the owner also visits every one to make sure their yard is big enough and everything is to his standards. I didn't put where I got him from out there just for it to be criticized. I worked there for 2 years and never once was a puppy or cat mistreated. They do not use puppy mills, that's not everywhere just some places. It is owned by one man and is not a chain. My siamese is very healthy, never had any problems. Every animal goes home with paperwork on its certification and parental background.
I did not come here to argue with anyone.

Alyssa_Pettyjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
100000000% sure he is purebred and not from a mill. I have his "family tree" he was 3,500 dollars and no one would charge that or pay that for a mill animal.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with jen jen , StefanZ StefanZ and abyeb abyeb in that I would suggest starting out by contacting the breeder of your cat. Even if you did not buy directly from a breeder, if you have the registration papers, it should have the name and cattery name of the breeder, and you can try to look up the breeder this way. You can also call the place where you bought the cat and ask for their help in contacting the breeder.

Your cat's breeder is the best place to start for information about your cat's parents and ancestors. If you are thinking of breeding your cat, you want to know as much as you can about his bloodlines, including what kind of genetic or health testing has been done previously.

Also, since you paid as much as that for your cat, you might be thinking that cat breeding is a good way to make money. That is not the case... most cat breeders lose money on this hobby. Generally, breeders who sell directly to the public do not charge such high prices. I expect there was a significant markup on the price through the shop.

Alyssa_Pettyjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have margins on them, so the store can make money. I have the okay to breed, I'm just looking for a breeder in Georgia. That's all I was looking for. I know what I'm doing, my aunt bred pit bulls my whole life. I know there are risk but looking at him and how gorgeous he is is reward enough to do it. Then he will be fixed. I know everything about his parents and his blood line, I have documents on everything.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice to contact the breeder. No criticism meant here, but just information - championship lines don't mean anything if he is CFA registration. All a cat has to do to get a champion title is show up in 6 rings and not be disqualified. Most breeders look at the pedigrees for Grand champions, regional winners, and national winners. As a breeder I can attest to not making money! My last litter of 3 was a $750 c-section. We lost one kitten, one stayed here as a pet and the other went to a pet home for $750. So we lost money - vet bills, food litter etc. It is a good thing that I am not in it for the money!:) Good luck to you in your endeavor.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Knowing his parents and bloodline doesn't equal knowing what health problems lie in his lines or what testing has been done on any of his family tree. Personally I find it highly unlikely a quality bred animal gets sold to a pet store because ethical breeders would never do that, just like I cannot imagine any reputable cat breeder letting their cat use a pet store kitty as a stud, so even if you contact the breeder directly I'd want paperwork proving everything. Champion lines are meaningless, prove YOUR cat meets standard in shows and get him tested against the common issues to the breed, then look into breeding.

Also every petland buys from millers and brokers, again, absolutely zero reputable ethical breeders would ever sell their kittens or puppies to be caged and sold to whoever at a pet store. Plenty of reviews and horror stories about the one you mention on google.

Alyssa_Pettyjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have already talked to the breeder. I have everything on this cat. Just looking at him you can tell hes purebred. Im not stupid, I'm going to veterinarian school right now. I worked there for 2 years they do not get them from mills. Monte the owner trust no one. He visits all of them and they are vet checked 3 times before they come to the store. They are reputable breeders and their animals cost a lot of money but i don't care what other people think. Not every petland is the same. My cat has a warranty so if anything does happen his bills get taken care of and if he ever passes away, I get another animal up to what I paid for him.

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was hesitant to get involved in this discussion, not wanting at add to your feelings of being criticised. We are just concerned cat lovers and onwners looking out for cats and kittens everywhere. I just wanted to clarify that saying ‘kitten mill’ is not saying your handsome cat isn’t pure bred, ‘mills’ just indicate an breeding environment, usually breeding for profit which is why people are sensitive about it as this type of establishing means going for quantity to try and make profits (ie they over breed their cats and dogs, and many have crowded pens and less vet care to maximise $ etc). Re buying a pure bred cat - I can only go by my own experience (in Australia) when I got Niki last year - the breeder was interstate and I had to have several phone conversations with her about my previous experiences as a cat owner, the environment I was brining her into (household members, other pets etc) and send her some photos of my apartment. I was never interested in breeding her so not really as familiar with that except that the Australian process happens via negotiation when the kitten is being sold because the pure breed registration societies here need to be notified so that any future progeny and their lines can be registered and for that I also had to be registered as a certified breeder- it is an additional process and cost. I think most of the issues being raised are around it being highly unusual/unlikely (not necessarily impossible) for a ‘breeding’ cat to be sold this way as there is not the control steps over who purchases the kitten and whether they are registered breeders themselves.
I wish you luck and enjoyment with your sweet siamese.