Siamese snowshoe? Or just oddball

Kimesen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

This is my boy Badger. All we know is that his mother was a calico and the father remains a long lost mystery.
At first I thought he'd just be a siamese looking cat, his fur seemed short til he hit a year old and he turned into a fluffy monster.
He's currently sitting at a healthy 12 lbs at 3 years old. For a seemingly talkative breed he rarely meows. He's got extremely long fur tuffs between his toes and an all around easy going cat. I've been trying forever to figure out what he is! I did settle on snowshoe siamese for awhile but I want some other opinions on what his father could have possibly been. He was the only siamese colored kitten of the litter.
20200120_180058.jpg
20200121_090734.jpg
0525191041_HDR.jpg
resized_JPEG_1527556484532_135920225686320143.jpg
0403191323a.jpg

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimesen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that he was a super light cream color when he was young with light brown "siamese markings", he only started to get darker markings when he hit around I'm guessing 5 or 6 months? I don't know if that's normal for siamese..
I do apologize, this is the first time I've posted here, so I'm sorry about the on slaught of pictures. Can't figure out how to edit my posts :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a gorgeous cat, and it looks like he has a wonderful personality! I would describe your cat as a seal point and white domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed, and unlike dogs, are also not mixtures of breeds..

Seal point and white coloring is fairly common in domestic cats... it's basically the pointed counterpart to a black and white "tuxedo cat." We can tell from looking at your cat that both parents carried the recessive genes for colorpoint (pointed pattern), solid (non-tabby), and long hair, but we can't tell you for sure what your cat's father looked like. The most likely colors would be black, gray, brown tabby, blue tabby, red tabby, or any of those colors with white. It's also possible that the father might have been pointed like your cat, although since there was only one pointed kitten in the litter, it's more likely that dad was not pointed. He also might have had either long or short hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimesen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a gorgeous cat, and it looks like he has a wonderful personality! I would describe your cat as a seal point and white domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed, and unlike dogs, are also not mixtures of breeds..

Seal point and white coloring is fairly common in domestic cats... it's basically the pointed counterpart to a black and white "tuxedo cat." We can tell from looking at your cat that both parents carried the recessive genes for colorpoint (pointed pattern), solid (non-tabby), and long hair, but we can't tell you for sure what your cat's father looked like. The most likely colors would be black, gray, brown tabby, blue tabby, red tabby, or any of those colors with white. It's also possible that the father might have been pointed like your cat, although since there was only one pointed kitten in the litter, it's more likely that dad was not pointed. He also might have had either long or short hair.
Wow, thank you so much! This makes so less confusing for me. I didn't know there was a counterpart to the tuxedo marking, honestly that blows my mind. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the coloring is called bicolor mitted, in Ragdolls anyway. He's beautiful! But, yeah, if he was the only one in his litter he's just a genetic happy accident, domestic longhair, most likely no Ragdoll (or other purebred) ancestry.

I have a cat named Badger, too! The vet thought it was a weird name, now I know of another one, lol ;).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the coloring is called bicolor mitted, in Ragdolls anyway.
"Bicolor" and "mitted" are actually two different terms, referring to different amounts of white on a cat. Roughly, mitted cats have white restricted to the feet and perhaps a little on the belly, while bicolor cats are about half white, including the entire underside, chest, and part of the face. In the Ragdoll breed, these two terms have precise definitions in the breed standard. Badger's white markings are closer to "bicolor" because he has white on his face, but he doesn't have as much white as a typical bicolor Ragdoll.

Here's an image to show the difference, clipped from messybeast color charts. (COLOUR AND PATTERN CHARTS)
ragdoll-patterns.jpg

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I once posted my mom's Ragdoll here and I thought "bicolor mitted seal point" is what I was told. I thought "mitted" just meant white paws. Hmm.

Anyway he's a fine handsome boy who bears a bit of resemblance to a Ragdoll but almost certainly doesn't have recent purebred heritage, I'll just stick with that.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I once posted my mom's Ragdoll here and I thought "bicolor mitted seal point" is what I was told. I thought "mitted" just meant white paws. Hmm.
Was it in this thread? It looks like the pictures aren't in the thread any more, so I'm not sure what your mom's Ragdoll looks like, but on page two, a Ragdoll breeder said that your mom's cat "resembles a pet quality seal bi color." So I'm guessing that she is closer to "bicolor" than "mitted" :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call him a Siamese-mix. I would also call him too cute for his own good. :).