Siamese Cat Only Eats Iams Dry Food, Likes Any Wet Food Though.

Green_Tea58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats only likes IAMS Chicken dry food. All 3 of them like any wet food I've bought, but I don't have the budget to only feed wet. Instead, I keep trying higher-quality dry food with them but the only thing is, the Siamese won't eat it.... The other 2 will happily scarf it down, but HE just won't have it. Even when I mix it into his food he may or may not eat it, but when I show it to him on its own he only sniffs it, looks at me like he's thinking "is this food?", then walks away. I've tried Blue Buffalo Kitten and Chicken & Rice adult formulas, Natural Balance (can't find what I fed them anymore... seems like they discontinued it? The package was blue, had an also blue cat on it and was probably a Chicken formula), Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost and normal formulas, Authority Chicken and Rice Indoor formula, Only Natural Pet Fish & Fowl Dinner, Wellness Core Air Dried Chicken and Turkey Indoor formula, and Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Chicken & Potato recipe. I don't want to feed them Purina or anything with the same quality (or not quality? lol). SO, for anyone that had a cat that would only eat IAMS dry food, what other dry food did they start to like (that isn't Purina or low-quality)?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Green_Tea58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I may have to do that... Seems like the best option, because I've practically tried to feed him every higher-quality food in the pet store! :flail:Thanks for the other food suggestion + the thread! :thumbsup:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog did this and it drove me nuts. She wouldn't eat the higher quality kibble unless I mixed it in with a crappy can of pedigree. Other than that she would eat the Fresh Pet loaf.

I don't recall that I've had a kibble my cats were turned off by except Orijen. They've eaten Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Variety, Hills Ideal Balance, Hills Metabolic, and now we're using Dr Elsey's cleanprotein.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little white cat is like this, she fixates on one food, and that is all she wants. She will starve herself to death rather than eat what she does not want. I tried and tried to change her over to wet, she was having none of it. I did it with my vets help. He finally said she is one of those cats. Feed her what she likes and will eat, or we would cause her to have some serious health issues.

Iams is a bit high in carbs, but if that's all she will eat, so be it. Like Furballsmom and you said already, maybe try feeding her mostly wet, and use the Iams for her when needed.

I do like Dr. Elseys dry, the chicken, i think its the first dry my 4 have all agreed on. If they ever stop making it i dont know what i will do with my white girl. The other 3 like Dr. Elseys and Farmina for dry. Dr. Elseys has a small 2lb bag if you ever decide to give it a try. Its rather expensive, but very high protein and high calories, so a little goes a long way! :heartshape:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats only likes IAMS Chicken dry food. All 3 of them like any wet food I've bought, but I don't have the budget to only feed wet. Instead, I keep trying higher-quality dry food with them but the only thing is, the Siamese won't eat it.... The other 2 will happily scarf it down, but HE just won't have it. Even when I mix it into his food he may or may not eat it, but when I show it to him on its own he only sniffs it, looks at me like he's thinking "is this food?", then walks away. I've tried Blue Buffalo Kitten and Chicken & Rice adult formulas, Natural Balance (can't find what I fed them anymore... seems like they discontinued it? The package was blue, had an also blue cat on it and was probably a Chicken formula), Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost and normal formulas, Authority Chicken and Rice Indoor formula, Only Natural Pet Fish & Fowl Dinner, Wellness Core Air Dried Chicken and Turkey Indoor formula, and Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Chicken & Potato recipe. I don't want to feed them Purina or anything with the same quality (or not quality? lol). SO, for anyone that had a cat that would only eat IAMS dry food, what other dry food did they start to like (that isn't Purina or low-quality)?
My childhood cats saw their 20's eating Purina dry food and nothing else!
This isn't a plug for Purina (we raw feed now) but if your Siamese will eat wet food with IAMS I would not worry a whole lot.
Dry food is dry food, the ingredients may differ a lot but if a cat is happily eating a dry food AND a wet food, be glad.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My childhood cats saw their 20's eating Purina dry food and nothing else!
This isn't a plug for Purina (we raw feed now) but if your Siamese will eat wet food with IAMS I would not worry a whole lot.
Dry food is dry food, the ingredients may differ a lot but if a cat is happily eating a dry food AND a wet food, be glad.
I agree! Particularly with any sort of Siamese cats: we have two Siamese mixes and our vet says Siamese tend to have digestive issues. She specifically recommends feeding them high-protein, low-carb wet diets. That's worked very well for our cats who've proven her right about digestive problems: one vomits when she eats potato, the other is a picky eater who seems to get a bit of occasional nausea.

Green_Tea58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, everyone! But, finally, it also seems like he'll actually eat some of that Only Natural Pet dry food mixed with his IAMS now! :yess:
I still had the bag left (didn't return it) and the other cats ate it, so I still gave it to them mixed with IAMS... But when I turned around, he was eating it, too! I tried putting more of the ONP food on top to see if he'd eat it, and he had a bit of it! So I'll stick with IAMS and occasionally mix that food in, and give him some wet food on top of that (they all love wet, so if one gets it, the rest flock over too... lol)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you try to phase out the Iams gradually until she eats ONP by itself?

Green_Tea58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I may be able to, yeah. But if he won't eat it on its own, I think mostly keeping it mixed is my best option.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little white cat is like this, she fixates on one food, and that is all she wants. She will starve herself to death rather than eat what she does not want. I tried and tried to change her over to wet, she was having none of it. I did it with my vets help. He finally said she is one of those cats. Feed her what she likes and will eat, or we would cause her to have some serious health issues.:heartshape:
Yep. Sounds like my cat baby. I would have fed her all wet when I was working if she would have eaten all wet but nope. If she doesn't like a flavor or texture of wet, she will not eat and starves instead. I'm glad she's eating a little wet again, but she's a grazer so I just put out a little. About 1/2 gets wasted.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, everyone! But, finally, it also seems like he'll actually eat some of that Only Natural Pet dry food mixed with his IAMS now! :yess:
I still had the bag left (didn't return it) and the other cats ate it, so I still gave it to them mixed with IAMS... But when I turned around, he was eating it, too! I tried putting more of the ONP food on top to see if he'd eat it, and he had a bit of it! So I'll stick with IAMS and occasionally mix that food in, and give him some wet food on top of that (they all love wet, so if one gets it, the rest flock over too... lol)
Sorry. I didn't notice this posted. I meant to suggest Blue Buffalo Wilderness, but sounds like your cat is eating that other kibble now.

Last edited: