Siamese and Ragdoll Kitten? Is that the same breed?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No they are all different breeds and I believe we have answered about this cat a few times before and we said that the father looked persian and the mother could be either a domestic pointed cat or might be a ragdoll mix. I guess it is possible for the mother to have been half ragdoll and half siamese. Ragdolls as they are pointed most likely have some siamese ancestry but are recognized as a breed by CFA and TICA. The kitten again would be considered a domestic long haired cat because he does not have papers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i have posted about it before, but THIS  post was about whether or not Siamese or Ragdoll are the same, which they are not as you stated. Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both siameses and ragdolls are caracterised by their points, this they do have in common.  Otherwise two totally different breeds.  

Most persians dont have point, but there is on subvariation in persians, who are points them too, they are called for the Himalayan.

Once upon a time both ragdolls and himalayans got their point genes from siameses, but otherwise, they dont have much in common. 

Ridiculous enough, although siameses are per definition with point being the symbol for points, there is a sort of siameses without point - and these are the Orientals, a breed near siameses - but without point.

Of course, among people not knowing much about cats, they often dont recognize the differences, any longhaired cat is persian, and any cat with point must be siamese.

And Im not ironic, I myself got to know the difference between siameses and orientals on a Show, where we did particpated with our resident Russian Blue..   This was a little embarrassing of course, but the breeder and co-exhibitor  explained it very nicely, friendly and diplomatic, with just a hint of a smile.   :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the great information! Yeah i think hes Himalayan his father is on my page. hes the big orange guy and his mom is def a flame point so i just say hes himalayan and flamepoint ragdoll (def has ragdoll atributes) he loves to just flop in my arms :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  This cute little Minion is a Cream Tabby and White Persian mix.     And just as cute as ever! 

I remember his red tabby dad who looks Persian enough that I was willing to say I thought he was a Persian or at least had a lot of Persian in him.   Minion himself has a sort of Persian -like look but not as much as his dad since he is more mixed with whatever the mom is. 

Minion is not a Himalayan because he's not pointed.

Himalayans  ARE a kind of Persian --  they are simply Persians with a pointed pattern.      I remember seeing another photo of Minion where I could see he has the light orange color on his back,  not just on the points.     If he were a Cream Tabby point  Himalayan,  his body would be white ( or very very very pale cream) ,  and the pale orange color would only be on his face, ears, paws and tail.    

So it makes more sense to call him a Persian mix. 

As Stefan said,  Siamese and Ragdoll are totally different breeds,  but both have the pointed pattern -- just like Himalayans do.  Ragdolls almost certainly got the gene for the pointed pattern from some Siamese   ,  which is where the others like the Himalayans also got it.  But they got it from a few Siamese ancestors many, many years ago,  so it's just a tiny drop of Siamese -- they're like 0.0000000001% Siamese - with the rest of their ancestry being non-Siamese.    

I   remember that the mother of Minion did not look Siamese in any way except the pattern.  but as explained above,  that does not mean a  cat has much Siamese ancestry.   She could possibly have some Ragdoll or something in her   but there's also a lot of pointed Domestic Longhairs who could look like that.     and if you don't  have registration paper from a legitimate cat registry for her,  or pretty strong proof she came from registered parents of some specific breed ,   it's pretty impossible to know.    

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  The main health issue I would watch out for is kidneys.    and that can be helped by feeding a high protein, low carb,  wet diet ,  avoid fish,  and try to keep the phosphorus level .  very little dry food. 

Then you also mentioned earlier that Minion is unusually small.   That does not necessarily mean anything bad about health.  but sometimes it can.   for example the miniature Persians sometimes have heart problems.   but when you take him to the vet,  they can at least listen to his heart.