Shut eye and goopy

Lunamiaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently I noticed my cat (Luna, 5yrs old) has been keeping her right eye shut. I noticed two days ago but she is not spayed and is currently in heat, when she’s in heat she tends to squint her eyes frequently so I didn’t notice the problem. Today I started to worry because she was keeping her eye completely shut, after cleaning it a bit she opened it but she still closes it from time to time.
Luna does get allergies and her right eye does tend to get watery due to herpes but this time her eye seems a lot more watery and goopy than normal. We have another cat and they don’t like each other very much lol but they’re usually civil around each other. There are times where they play fight so it could be that her eye got scratched.
I included a picture of what her eye usually looks like which was taken just this tuesday and the other picture is the one I took today. If anyone could please help out and suggest what I should do.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Is it just the light, or is that eye cloudy as well?

You're planning to get her spayed, like.. .. yesterday, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lunamiaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Is it just the light, or is that eye cloudy as well?

You're planning to get her spayed, like.. .. yesterday, right?
Yes her eye is also cloudy.

We are planning to get her spayed but she is an indoor cat and does not go outside without supervision so it hasn’t been a main priority.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes her eye is also cloudy.
Oh my gosh, she needs to be seen by a vet as soon as you can get her in.

Regarding the spaying, when females go into heat repeatedly it can cause a lot of issues;
On the other hand, cats in heat really are slaves to their hormones, which isn't helping at all. I'd highly recommend you take her for spaying as soon as she is out of heat again. Repeated heat cycles are MURDER on their little bodies, and they run a much higher risk of mammary cancer when they are intact, as well as pyometra, a uterine infection that is fatal if not caught in time.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know what the vet says. You probably know this but females in heat are good escapers, even if you open the door or window just a crack!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just spent over 9 hours at the Emergency vet with Sylvester last night because his eye wasn't opening and had discharge and they stained his eye and he has an ulcer on it, so I would suggest you get your cat in to be seen a.s.a.p. in case that is the case, she'll need drops to heal it.