Showing off my shelter cat!

cherrywine89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my husband and I are newlyweds and we had 4 barn cats that I had before we met, and a bad storm blew open the barn door a couple months after we got married and all 4 cats got out and 3 out of 4 drowned. :( So the one is inside now and she got pregnant while she was out during the storm. And while my husband was out of town right after that I decided to adopt a cat from a shelter. He claims to not like cats and claims to have a "phobia" of them, so I was just like whatever, I'll take care of it and love it for the both of us. So I go to a shelter and say I want to adopt the oldest most unadoptable cat you have. And it just so happened that Monty (he was named Snaggle Tooth by the shelter because he has a cleft lip) was being shown at petsmart and only had a couple days left before being sent back to the shelter. I went into the visiting room to see him and he came right up to me and I knew right then that I could never leave him. He was mine. And I loved him from the moment I saw him. So I brought him home and the shelter said he was found by the neighbors after a family hoarded cats for an extended period of time and they moved and took the dogs and left Monty on the porch and the rest of the cats inside to fend for themselves. There were over 18 cats in the house.
So once he gets home I start calling him Monty and he responded to his name right away. It seems strange, but I really believe that might have been his name before.
Then my husband gets home and is very standoffish until wrestling started on TV that night and Monty went over and laid on his chest and seemingly "watched" TV with his new daddy. That was the beginning of the end. My husband still denies liking cats but whenever my husband gets home he greets the cats and cuddles them before me. I guess it's a man/pride thing. My husband doesn't sleep without embracing one or both of the cats. But I don't say anything because then he acts all distant and prideful lol. What is it with men feeling like they can't like cats???

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS C cherrywine89 !! First, congratulations on your wedding [emoji]128112[/emoji] And secondly, congratulations on the addition of Mr. Monty to your family. You clearly have a great heart and taking in Monty despite his "imperfections" is evidence of that. He looks quite at home in his forever home and I'm not buying it that your hubby doesn't like cats either [emoji]128518[/emoji]

Again, Welcome to TCS...I hope you enjoy the site. There are loads of nice people and we all love cats [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Give Monty some love from me [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cherrywine89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Monty is estimated at 11 years old with missing teeth and decay in his remaining teeth. He is also overweight and I discovered that he has an allergy to wheat (ironically I have a wheat allergy too). He had been on a hunger strike while at the shelter and started eating regularly the night I brought him home.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quote name="CherryWine89" url="/t/326831/showing-off-my-shelter-cat#post_4108667"He had been on a hunger strike while at the shelter and started eating regularly the night I brought him home.[/quote]

He knew he was finally home [emoji]127969[/emoji] [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

cherrywine89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[quote name="CherryWine89" url="/t/326831/showing-off-my-shelter-cat#post_4108667"He had been on a hunger strike while at the shelter and started eating regularly the night I brought him home.
He knew he was finally home [emoji]127969[/emoji] [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[/quote]

He is home for good. He will never again have to wonder where he belongs because up until this point and from here on out, his life and challenges have brought him here. He is so loved and cherished and will NEVER be alone again.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What adorable pictures!  Bless you for adopting and welcome to TCS!  It's nice to meet you.  

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Monty is adorable and he is so lucky to have found you 

I hope the kitties are all spayed and neutered by now?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Thank you for adopting an "unadoptable" shelter cat! I just recently found a home for my senior foster- I estimated him to be around 10 years old. I had him the longest of all of my recent fosters, while I had him 16 other animals got adopted, I am so happy that he finally has a place to call his own! Older kitties need homes too!

cherrywine89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Monty is adorable and he is so lucky to have found you :heart3:

I hope the kitties are all spayed and neutered by now?
The only 2 unfixed cats are females but they are inside only and Monty is neutered. I will be getting them spayed soon tho for health reasons and so they don't have to go into heat and be miserable. :)

cherrywine89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My surviving barn cat is pregnant only because we had a bad storm while she was in the barn and the door blew open and she got out and a stray must have gotten to her. I didn't know she was pregnant until a few weeks after I brought her inside when I realized the barn wasn't safe for her. After her kittens are weaned I will spay her and spay and neuter all of the kittens, even the ones I am adopting out, unless my friend takes all but the 2 that my husband and I want to keep, as long as she agrees to fix them. She is a vet tech and a very dear friend that she has given 2 dogs, 2 goats, and 2 horses to me to take care of that she could no longer keep.

cherrywine89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before anyone gets the wrong idea about me giving someone kittens who has given animals to me that she couldn't keep anymore, they were given to me when she was with her now ex-husband. They have been divorced for about 4 years. He had been telling her to get rid of the animals one by one otherwise he would threaten to divorce her so she did to save the marriage and whatever ones she didn't give up he secretly killed. He divorced her anyway and the day he filed he confessed to killing all of the animals that mysteriously died. And we have a deal that if we ever can't keep an animal that we gave each other that we would give each other the opportunity to take the pets back.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I completely believe that your husband doesn't like cats.  The pictures of him snuggling Monty show that he clearly loves them.  Hehe

And if I found out that someone had been secretly killing my animals, that person would disappear.  A lot of people can disappear in the country.  It's quite full of hidden dangers.

I'm so sorry about the cats that you lost in the storm.  They're waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

Also, men are boneheads and want to seem all tough and whatnot so they try to pretend they're too manly to like cats.  My boyfriend claimed he wasn't a cat person.  I'm sure that's why he snuggles my boys and using manly words like *wittle snugglebutt."

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monty is wonderful!  Thank you for adopting him -- I know you know you're so fortunate to have his love in your life.  

I don't understand the thing about men here -- the men in my family, on both sides, going back forever as far as I know, have always loved, rescued, and included cats in their families.  I've never heard of it being a gender-specific thing before, except for here and recently.  A few years back, I don't think it was, and men, women and children loved and admired cats for their beauty, agility, strength, loyalty, unconditional love, playfulness, friendliness...I could go on and on.  The mainstream media seems to be pushing that negative agenda and shoving dogs down everyone's throats, but the fact is that there are over 10 million more cats than dogs in domestic households, and cats are the nation's and the world's most beloved companion animals.  In many other societies, it's always been so.  So don't believe the idiocy dished out by the media and those gullible, ignorant people who echo it!  Cats rule.  For countless good reasons.

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow what a lovely cat!  They are similar to two brothers I
adopted 3+ years ago from the nearby shelter.  Congratulations and thank you for rescuing a cat that desperately needed a home! 

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, "it" won't allow me to edit my prior post re: Monty.

In any event, you can tell from the pictures that he is SO HAPPY to have a home! 

As for the subject of men and cats ...

My husband is a cat lover and always has  been (I would have never married him if he did not love cats too!).  That said, when our 18 year old rescue cat died, he had me print out a picture of her and he has it above the bed!  He loved her so much and she loved him back!

We have two cats now as I mentioned (brothers) and he is the one that picked them out at the nearby shelter.  He kept them in the other room to be certain that they were healthy and could not pass any sort of health problems on to the solitary cat we had left that died recently after being poisoned by the topical flea "remedy" known as Cheristin for Cats. 

My late father was a dog person his entire life except towards the end he ended up with my cat that I had taken to live with me when I moved to an apartment in the city.  The cat hated it and wanted to go home so my Dad took him back home and kept him there.   The two of them became inseparable and when my cat passed away at the age of 16 years, my Dad went and got another one that looked very much like him (an orange tabby cat is what he was).  My Dad passed away a number of years ago but he was a cat lover when his time came and the orange tabby cat K2 was left behind. 

I know of many men that love cats and to say that men are not "cat people" is simply not true!

Anyway, I can sure tell that Monty is thrilled with his new home and again congratulations on your new edition to your home!   Monty scored big time and he knows it!