Showing In The Household Class...what To Expect?

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What could one expect when showing in the household class. One of amoras kittens has caught my eye...and I think she would be an excellent show cat. I’ve been handling her from birth, so far she has a good temperament, and her coloration is honestly amazing. She is just so blue. I do see some stripes on her tail though. Do you think she would do well?

C4B6DA25-6B53-43C6-816F-BC839E260708.jpeg
8176870F-C6BF-43E9-A314-D4F6C772C015.jpeg
FA564BDD-7E21-4550-BCF1-9B3AEB6181CD.jpeg
FBE3DAD5-C3EA-40A4-8D91-63177C67E62D.jpeg

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful! I think you should give it a try when the kitten is old enough. Continue to handle the kitten and after vaccines, take her places to accustom her to strange people, places, noises and smells. Most importantly, keep us updated and post plenty of photos!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In Pet class there is no real breed standard so it wont matter if she isnt totally solid.

Be sure she is comfortable and enjoyning. Visibly in nice shape and you are more than halfway to the top!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She is so cute! There is no set standard for household pets as there is for pedigree cats in shows, so what really matters is that she has a great show personality, meaning playful, alert, and amenable to being handled. I’d recommend inviting friends over to do a mock judging, so that she can get used to different people. I’ll attach some links from CFA that give more information about the household pet class and how to prep for shows.

Showing Household Pets

Ready, Set, Show

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m curious about this, too...can you show a household pet who is a pedigreed cat with no papers? How about a cat who has been shown before in TICA?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m curious about this, too...can you show a household pet who is a pedigreed cat with no papers? How about a cat who has been shown before in TICA?
Yes, you can show a purebred cat without papers in the household pet class. They’ll be judged as household pets; not judged by their breed standard. Lots of people will show cats in both CFA and TICA, but a difference is that the household pet class in TICA allows for pedigree cats who don’t meet the breed standard.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can show pedigree cats that don't meet the breed standard in CFA, too. At a recent show I was benched near a family that had bought an Exotic as a pet and then decided they wanted to show it. They entered in the cat in the household pet class, and then got advice from people at the show about whether they should show in Premiership instead... most people said they should stay in household pet since the cat wouldn't be competitive against other Exotics.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can show pedigreed cats in household pet class. However to be scored for titles (in CFA) they must be recorded as household pets, not as a pedigree. I found this out when I showed my green eyed brown tabby, Sunny, in HHP. If recorded as such he would have had 1/3 of the points needed for a title.