Show Us Your Rescues : Then and Now Photos

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found Dario Argento (originally nicknamed Fuku which was supposed to mean lucky) outside in a parking lot at 3-5 days old.
I heard him crying and went to follow the noise, and found a tiny gray kitten. His eyes were still closed.
93A615D4-1755-4142-9DAF-97B53095B132.jpeg
1F072DF9-4F36-4CB1-97CB-8AA4EE10420E.jpeg
0B4A831C-FCBD-4406-B7EE-AA6E2914B0B7.jpeg

I had no idea what I was doing but, with the internet, some online friends, and my vet’s help. He made it. We were very lucky as he had no fleas, and no health problems save a few scares with a lack of poo which turned out to be nothing. When I first brought him home, I’d had a friend recently decide that he was looking for a kitten. At first, I’d planned to raise the kitten, get him/her fixed and give them to my friend.
But, my friend wanted a female, as his heart-cat was a male blue tabby (that looked a lot like Dario) and passed due to crystals. And... Dario is unlike any other kitten I’ve ever had. Aside Baby Fred, my heart-cat. He follows me, cuddles with me, comes when called and sleeps with me at night. I realized I couldn’t part with him. I’d wanted a cat for a while but it hadn’t felt right at the time.
And here he is now;
A7BA9A36-60A9-43B7-831B-6CD7FECF1ECF.jpeg
499CD3C1-AFF4-4D1C-B133-9711346394E5.jpeg
CB461E7E-D93A-4BB3-9C11-31E0A7C6A3FE.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I found Dario Argento (originally nicknamed Fuku which was supposed to mean lucky) outside in a parking lot at 3-5 days old.
I heard him crying and went to follow the noise, and found a tiny gray kitten.
Thank you for taking him in and what a cutie he is and look at him now, so contented. Bless your heart!

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! Where do I start? Lol I’ll start with the last rescue of a feral colony at risk. Over 100 members, BJ was the alpha of the colony and the last cat in the swamp. The final and most elusive.
View attachment 311240
I thought he might try to eat me. :lol:
View attachment 311241
It took many months to get anywhere near him.
View attachment 311242View attachment 311243View attachment 311244
He often rejected my presence even after months of working in the swamp with him.
View attachment 311245
I knew there were days he didn’t feel well.
View attachment 311246
I spent many nights keeping him company.
View attachment 311247
Getting close often got a growl, hiss, swat or nip.
View attachment 311248
Once inside he still had aggressive days.
View attachment 311249
Continued rejection.
View attachment 311251
Finally small progress.
View attachment 311252
A look of understanding.
View attachment 311253
I was allowed to pick him up.
View attachment 311254
Nipping still happened. Lol
View attachment 311255
Finally a day in my lap.
View attachment 311256
Still wary.
View attachment 311257
Meeting his first cat tree. He didn’t quite fit. Lol
View attachment 311258
At last, he approached me for attention.
View attachment 311259
Once he relaxed, he melted.
View attachment 311260
He began showing his wonderful silly side.
View attachment 311261
The security inside left him feeling very content.
View attachment 311262
As he was beginning to recover from his heart worms he began to seek human comfort.

He made himself at home under the covers with me at night.
View attachment 311264
The cold outdoors left him appreciative of being warm beside me.
View attachment 311265
He likes doing high fives!
View attachment 311266

From older feral Tom to teddy bear lap cat.
He’s proof that old ferals can be socialized.
View attachment 311267

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I found Peko and Bootsy in some bushes right outside my front door. They were about 4 weeks old. They were terrified at first, but it only took about 24hrs to decide that I would be a suitable mama. Turned into a classic foster fail. They are a couple of great kitties. :redheartpump:
Ah.......Peko and Bootsy! :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

I guess they know that you were the right cat mama although you are kittypa :lol: Great that you brought them in and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out their lives.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, some beautiful kitties, young and old, in this thread.

I'll keep my offering brief.
Princess a tiny stray being fed out back near garage while progressively lured to the house May of '17?
A relatively skinny Bug being fed on back deck, October '16. Took till Jan 9 '17 to finally trap him indoors.
An older pic but clearly they are not "wanting". Frankly, I spoil them rotten.
Best estimates Bug now between 5 and 6....princess 5? Bonded instantly...siblings or father-daughter?
Both are well settled in.

Attachments

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonderful and heartwarming stories!! Thanks to everyone for what you have done.

Here is my story... I was feeding a stray/feral the summer of 2018, trying to come up with a TNR plan. Then she brought her kitten for dinner one day. Brought them inside and never looked back! They are now pretty social. I still can't pick them up, but they are always up for snuggles and pets!

Pictures then and now, Tortellini and Miss Kitty.

20181010_071902.jpg
20191126_192407.jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful and heartwarming stories!! Thanks to everyone for what you have done.

Here is my story... I was feeding a stray/feral the summer of 2018, trying to come up with a TNR plan. Then she brought her kitten for dinner one day. Brought them inside and never looked back! They are now pretty social. I still can't pick them up, but they are always up for snuggles and pets!

Pictures then and now, Tortellini and Miss Kitty.

View attachment 317279View attachment 317281
Don't feel bad. Of our 6, we can only pick up Burdock, Miss Eleanor, and, at least to some extent, Digger. For the rest, a suit like the bomb squad people wear would be required, and this after 6 or 7 years inside with us.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still can't pick them up, but they are always up for snuggles and pets!
As far as I know my Ruby girl was never feral, and though she's also always up for a snuggle, pets, and a nap on my lap, she squirms and wiggles whenever I pick her up, or try to restrain her in any way,.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patch, Pipsqueak, and Zorro when I found them. I'll just link the thread instead of reposting the pictures.

I later adopted Patch, and Pipsqueak eventually was adopted as well but Zorro, sadly, had to be euthanized because of FIP.

Now she is a very friendly, playful, and loving Cat. She loves attention and will jump to rub against a hand that is above her, and leans very hard into any hand she rubs against. She's not much of a lap Cat and still doesn't like being picked up, but she will tolerate it for a short time.

One of my favorite pictures of her, it's my phone's wallpaper:
20190112_085743.jpg

Patch today, taking a nap on my cot by of the wood stove.
20200112_110551.jpg
:

Diamond, an intact male I finally managed to trap after several months of him walking up to the trap, sniffing, and walking away. He tested positive for FeLV but thankfully found placement in a facility that handles Cats with FIV, FeLV, and other such illnesses.
stray1.jpg

Bingo, I had never actually seen him outside. His clean coat and lack of fleas or parasites of any kind lead me to believe he had just been dropped off. He was front declawed so he would not have lasted long on his own. I found shelter placement for him after a few days.
IMG_2498.JPG

Luke, another intact male dumped off where I live. I found him in the dead of winter and didn't need a trap to catch him, despite him not liking my presence at all he walked straight into a carrier I baited with some cut up chicken breast so I know he had to be absolutely starving. He was very food aggressive and would try to tear my hand off when I would take his empty bowl to put food in it, and then try again when I would bring it back and set it down. I found shelter placement for him after a few days.
20190301_164252.jpg

Stinky. I named her that because for the first week it was literally the worst odor I have ever smelled when I would clean the litterbox. It made the whole room almost unbearable, and I could even smell it through the vent in the hallway on the other side of the wall. One of my neighbors caught her this past spring while trying to trap a Raccoon that had been killing his Chickens, he knew I did animal rescue work and asked if I could take her so I did. She was extremely skittish at first and would hide and cower whenever I went in to clean the litterbox or give food and water, and has only recently started to feel comfortable enough to venture out into the rest of the house. She likes attention but can't stand being picked up. I'm still trying to find shelter placement or an adopter but Kitten season this year was brutal here and the shelters in the area still have waiting lists.
20190427_160523.jpg

This is her now exploring the house:
20190906_210502.jpg

I managed to trap this guy while trying to catch a different Cat that had been roaming around since spring. A lady who lives nearby said he was hers a few days after I posted on nextdoor and came to get him. I wasn't 100% convinced he was her Cat, but at least he has a home now.
20191213_171546[1].jpg

This is the one I have been trying to catch since spring, I suspected it was male because as many times as I'd seen him there were never any Kittens and I was right. I call him Fluffy because he has a coat that would make 3 Maine Coons jealous, it is just ridiculous how much hair he has. When I finally managed to trap him just a couple weeks ago he was matted and dirty with burrs everywhere, and was infested with fleas and worms. He's very friendly so I'm sure he was someone's pet, most likely another case of "I don't want to spend the money to get the Cat fixed" turned into "the Cat has got to go" after he matured and started spraying in the house.
20191222_213120.jpg

Last edited: