Show Us The Whiskers

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I save Gypsys although I only have found 2 so far.
Keep up the good work. Sometimes they are hard to find. But they can be very good to keep. A friend of mine who lost her beloved cat several years ago wishes she had saved his whiskers. I will always save all of my cats' that I find.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Keep up the good work. Sometimes they are hard to find. But they can be very good to keep. A friend of mine who lost her beloved cat several years ago wishes she had saved his whiskers. I will always save all of my cats' that I find.
Yea that's right. I saved my boy's whiskers too whenever I find them and not only that, I kept two of his baby teeth too
IMG_3259.GIF

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OOOH, those are lush! What a handsome guy, Capt. Jack! :silver:
Thank you! When I saw him at the shelter, he was listed as a brown DSH. I wondered where they saw brown on him & if he had the wrong cage tag, but it really depends on the lighting. His undercoat is brown, as seen more in this picture (which also shows his whiskers nicely)
IMG_20170505_070937.jpg

So I not only guess at his breed, but at his color too, :lol:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! When I saw him at the shelter, he was listed as a brown DSH. I wondered where they saw brown on him & if he had the wrong cage tag, but it really depends on the lighting. His undercoat is brown, as seen more in this picture (which also shows his whiskers nicely)View attachment 199524

donnae donnae - Captain Jack is the epitome of the Silver Tabby - a pattern seen in Domestic Shorthairs whose genetics are unique.

"A Silver Tabby will have black stripes on a pale background. The ground-color fur will have white roots..." from Dr. Joelle Dedalus' article here:

Difference Between a Silver and a Gray Tabby Cat

Additionally, here's the start page for Les Lyon's ongoing study on Silver Tabby genetics:

Silver and Golden

The undercoat which you describe as, "brown," is actually called, "red."

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

donnae donnae - Captain Jack is the epitome of the Silver Tabby - a pattern seen in Domestic Shorthairs whose genetics are unique.

"A Silver Tabby will have black stripes on a pale background. The ground-color fur will have white roots..." from Dr. Joelle Dedalus' article here:

Difference Between a Silver and a Gray Tabby Cat

Additionally, here's the start page for Les Lyon's ongoing study on Silver Tabby genetics:

Silver and Golden

The undercoat which you describe as, "brown," is actually called, "red."

Ty! You are a wealth of information 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine . I shall pluck some of Jack's fur and go from there. Interesting links. He seems a mix of marble and classic from what they described.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! When I saw him at the shelter, he was listed as a brown DSH. I wondered where they saw brown on him & if he had the wrong cage tag, but it really depends on the lighting. His undercoat is brown, as seen more in this picture (which also shows his whiskers nicely)View attachment 199524

I had the same issues with Samuda angel when we brought him home from the mean streets. First, I called him a silver tabby. Then, when I saw his brown underpinnings, I called him a brown tabby. Actually, in the shelter he would probably have been CATegorized as a black tabby. Whatever the case, he was 100% handsome and 100% beloved. As was tiny brown tabby Sahra angel, behind him in this pic.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:clap2: So striking :clap: