Show Off Your Photography

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a "red sky at night, sailor's delight" sunset the other night. Tried to take pics, but of course the camera couldn't capture what my eyes were seeing. Here's the best I was able to get.

View attachment 384053
I had the same problem with that beetle picture. With that light background, the beetle kept coming out underexposed. I had to switch to manual and fiddle with the shutter speed until it came out right. Fortunately, the beetle hung around long enough.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some tips for you guys if you don't mind

The sunset was beautiful the other night. Not the best photos, but the sky was really pretty :)
Lovely shots of the Sunset and the second shot is lovely.

Tip : When shooting landscapes, keep the horizon low to the bottom of the frame or higher up near the top of the frame and never compose the shot with the horizon in the middle of the frame. Remember the 70:30 rule.

To achieve a more dramatic sunset or sunrise, under expose your shot by one stop or so.

To test, view your photo and use the mouse to scroll up and down to the 70:30 rule and see the difference.

We had a "red sky at night, sailor's delight" sunset the other night. Tried to take pics, but of course the camera couldn't capture what my eyes were seeing. Here's the best I was able to get.
You could have achieved a nice sunset shot here.

Tip : Use manual setting and once camera reading is set, deliberately under expose 1 or 2 stop (either by aperture or shutter speed) to achieve an underexposed shot to enhance the sunset through the trees. Or, take a reading from the brighter part of the sky and recompose the shot.

had the same problem with that beetle picture. With that light background, the beetle kept coming out underexposed. I had to switch to manual and fiddle with the shutter speed until it came out right. Fortunately, the beetle hung around long enough.
You did a good job by using manual settings to get the shot right. Sometimes cameras on auto setting sucks as they read the lighter part generally and therefore the subject is under exposed.

Tip : Subject on light background, open up 1 or 2 stops (either by aperture or shutter speed) to deliberately over exposed subject. Using spot metering will yield a more accurate exposure reading than center weighted metering or matrix reading.

I hope these tips are useful to you guys.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom thank you so much! I really appreciate your tips. I’m just taking these with my iPhone camera haha, but I really appreciate your insight. Thank you!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's some flower pictures. All credit to the camera's auto setting. I'll take credit for the cropping. :lol:
Nice shots and nice colors.

Good use of shallow depth of field except hat the last two photos aren't sharp enough. Looks like you've gone a little bit too close and the camera cannot focus well enough.

Try to move back more and focus on the stamens. Unless you are using a macro/micro lens, you can get very close to the subject. If not, if you have a zoom lens, stand further away and use the longest focal length to shoot.

For the first photo, it'll look better if shot in portrait orientation to show off more of the stem. But if your idea of showing the 2 balls of flowers closed up, then its ok ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like you've gone a little bit too close and the camera cannot focus well enough.
That makes sense, as I did find when I got too close, it couldn't focus at all. Thanks for the continued tips.

For the first photo, it'll look better if shot in portrait orientation to show off more of the stem. But if your idea of showing the 2 balls of flowers closed up, then its ok ;)
I was going for the 2 balls only, in that 1st shot. But here's one with more of the stems. I like how the sun was shining on one more than the other.

1623582742033.png

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
at makes sense, as I did find when I got too close, it couldn't focus at all. Thanks for the continued tips.
You are welcomed. I'll continue to give you guys tips whenever I can. You'll enjoy more of photography when you do it right.
I was going for the 2 balls only, in that 1st shot. But here's one with more of the stems. I like how the sun was shining on one more than the other.
Yes, just remember the rules of thirds. But sometimes, rules are meant o be broken.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
These guys live in the lily pads in the pond behind my house. I sit on the patio and watch them skate across the surface of the water. They let loose with booming voices throughout the day…and night. :)

I sense disapproval here. :lol:
D01A826F-8B93-40A9-973F-7FFE543D4768.jpeg

I had to zoom a bit too much and the frogs on top are a bit out of focus. The frog at the bottom looks angry, doesn’t he!
AFE8BF81-3947-4F73-9446-F3D9E6042528.jpeg