Show Off Your Photography

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww, c'mon. They don't bite. Much.
I'm guessing Mr. Black Widow might beg to differ. :evilgrin:

Here's one of my Hostas in the evening sun.

1599047164677.png

And a couple of the final Day Lilies of the year.

1599047261811.png

Question from someone, aka me, with the seemingly inability to grasp the concept of photography techniques.
In the above pic, would there have been any way to make the flower in for forefront, and the one behind it both be in focus?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing Mr. Black Widow might beg to differ. :evilgrin:

Here's one of my Hostas in the evening sun.

View attachment 349464

And a couple of the final Day Lilies of the year.

View attachment 349465

Question from someone, aka me, with the seemingly inability to grasp the concept of photography techniques.
In the above pic, would there have been any way to make the flower in for forefront, and the one behind it both be in focus?
Personally, when I want multiple subjects to be in focus, I set the dial to Av, which gives priority to aperture size. A higher f number gives a greater depth of field, resulting in a sharper image, front to back. You may have to fiddle with the ISO setting to get what you want.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Lovely shots.

As for your question, you need to use a smaller aperture meaning, shooting at f8, f11 or f16 for a greater depth of field. But at this great depth of field, you'll be capturing the background too and you may have to crop it off later. Also it's tricky as the two flowers are not on the same plane.

If your camera has a DOF (Depth of Field) button, after you have set the aperture, you can depress it and see the screen darken through the view finder. The darker it gets, means you are using a higher f-stop, means more DOF resulting in a sharper image as what N NY cat man mentioned.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom tabbytom . I really need to get some practice testing different settings on my camera while it's still warm enough to get outside pics.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom tabbytom tabbytom tabbytom . I really need to get some practice testing different settings on my camera while it's still warm enough to get outside pics.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Also by using a wider angle lens, he greater DOF you'll get unless you get real close and shoot at the widest aperture, you can throw the background out of focus.

Yes, now with the digital camera, you can experiment all you want to achieve what to get and all the practice shots to get to know your camera without having to pay for film and processing unlike the old days.

Go shoot all you can and experiment all the features in your camera and stick to the ones that works best for you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went up to Lake Ontario today, and while there got these shots:
Eastbound freighter. I figure that it was about 9 or 10 miles away from me
Even though I live in Ohio I never go up to the Great Lakes because I have no reason to. I didn't know they still had the big freighters on the Great Lakes. I remember when the iron ore freighter the Edmund Fitzgerald went down in the 70's. It got national notoriety because of the Gordon Lightfoot song.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I live in Ohio I never go up to the Great Lakes because I have no reason to. I didn't know they still had the big freighters on the Great Lakes. I remember when the iron ore freighter the Edmund Fitzgerald went down in the 70's. It got national notoriety because of the Gordon Lightfoot song.
It's less than 20 miles from our house to the lake, so it is no big deal to go there. As for the ships, what with the St. Lawrence Seaway and the enlarged Welland Canal, ocean-going freighters and warships can go all the way to Duluth. That is how we got such invasives as zebra mussels and the round-headed goby- in the ballast water pumped out of foreign ships coming in to pick up loads.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ships like the Edmund Fitzgerald were strictly on the Great Lakes. They primarily carried iron ore to the steel mills.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ships like the Edmund Fitzgerald were strictly on the Great Lakes. They primarily carried iron ore to the steel mills.
Yes, Michele and I have been to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point Michigan and seen the ship's bell from the Fitzgerald displayed there. Great Lakes freighters, prior to the opening of the Seaway, carried iron ore, coal, grain, copper ore, lumber, and sand. Buffalo was a huge transloading port, from ship to rail, and the Seaway is what largely killed it.