Show Off Your Photography

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone on this thread’s shots are beautiful and put mine to shame...
I gotta' call BS on that! :)

It's a fine photo!

The only thing about the picture that needs to be fixed is what tabbytom tabbytom said. The horizon needs to be level.
But it's pretty hard to take any photo and have the horizon be perfectly level when you're standing on a cliff. You're trying to hold your balance and you're trying to take a photograph, all at the same time you're trying to keep from falling off a cliff!

So take that into account when you notice that the horizon isn't quite level! ;)

You'll also be happy to know that Photoshop has a function that can straighten that horizon in just a few mouse clicks.

Photoshop can also help you tweak the brightness and contrast if you like but, IMO... DO NOT mess with the color or saturation!
The slightly bleak colors are what make the photo.

You've got nice texture in the clouds. You've got the gulls in the air. There's a ship on the horizon and there are waves breaking on the rocks. This picture has everything that it "needs" to have. Too much color will clutter the visual effect and spoil the mood. Let it be just a tad bit bleak looking. It's the "raging ocean!" It's supposed to look bleak.

The only thing I can think to say that would improve the image would be, if you ever get a chance to retake this picture, you might want to crouch down so that the horizon line goes behind the cliff on the far left of the frame instead of above it. If the edge of the cliff "breaks" the horizon, it will add just a bit of visual interest to make the horizon appear more "horizon-y." (If "horizony" is a word. ;) )

If you tweaked that picture up, just a bit, using Photoshop (or some other photo program) I'd say you could easily make it an "8" or "9" out of ten. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I apologize in advance...
Lovely backlit shot and well exposed

Beautiful! Are the butterfly's eyes that amazing turquoise colour or is that part of the reflection?
I don't think the butterfly have blue eyes. It may be the reflection of the sky light or could be due to the light striking the inner part of the eye that produce that blue glow. Not sure how complicated butterfly eyes are :dunno:

Nice! I love spiders
You love spiders? Hmmmmmm.................I've plenty of shots. Watch out rubysmama rubysmama and Katie M Katie M :lol:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you. The ones on the left look like they’re dancing. :) For such large birds, they land quite gracefully in the water.
It's a great shot as you captured the two about to land and all of them are facing the same direction and there was enough space on the the right of the frame to show that the birds landing strip extend further to the right. More space on the right of the frame will give the photo more depth.

I looked out my window and thought it was the end of the world, for just a second
Gorgeous!

End of the world will not be quiet.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cedar Waxwing. I'd been wanting to see them since I was a child. I finally got more into birding a few years ago and got a new camera last month and found some.
My dad was an amateur nature photographer and was my inspiration to get into it, been trying since I was a teenager.

CedarWaxwing(3).JPG