Show Me Your Home Made Litter Boxes!

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey. I'm interested in making a DIY litter box. Share pictures, cost, how long they last, and the pros and cons. Thanks.

jesmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I followed this tutorial, and I love it. My two cats refuse separate litter boxes and I was struggling to find one big enough for them to both comfortably use. I nabbed a $5 tote from Wal-Mart, and it works like a charm! The cats had no trouble transitioning to it either, we just put it in the same spot as their old box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you show a pic? My boys won't use separate either but I wanna try again or atleast have a backup.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A while ago, we used a large heavy plastic, low cement mixer pan we got in Home Depot. It was HUGE. Very easy for the cats to get in and out of. And cheap as can be. Only problem deep cleaning it was a bit of an issue because of it's size but then again it was so cheap, tossing it out every few months and buying new wasn't a hardship.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made the following litter box from a storage tote that I bought at Walmart about 20 years ago. Our cats at the time preferred having the lid on. Today, the lid is not kept on. All of our cats share the use of this litter box.
Litter box 002.jpg Litter box 003.jpg

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A while ago, we used a large heavy plastic, low cement mixer pan we got in Home Depot. It was HUGE. Very easy for the cats to get in and out of. And cheap as can be. Only problem deep cleaning it was a bit of an issue because of it's size but then again it was so cheap, tossing it out every few months and buying new wasn't a hardship.
Great idea, but please, please, please, don’t treat plastic items like that as disposable. There’s enough plastic all over the Earth as it is.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great idea, but please, please, please, don’t treat plastic items like that as disposable. There’s enough plastic all over the Earth as it is.
First, the item was made of recycled plastic but I didn't feel the need to mention it because that's not the purpose of this thread.

Second even if it wasn't, as many litter boxes are not, what would you propose I do with it???

We all have plastic litter boxes. All of us eventually have to get rid of them. They don't last forever.