Show me photos of your cat/ rescue pregnant and how many they had!

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’d love to see photos of your cat when pregnant and how many kittens she had!

I am with a rescue group and put up my hand for a pregnant stray on Friday.. she was described as birth imminent. She would be about 2, her belly is hard and tight, you can see/ feel kittens moving and each day I expect her to see kittens or start showing signs and she just isn’t lol, it’s now 4 days since ‘birth imminent’ and she is still eating with gusto and behaviour hasn’t changed since she arrived here (very affectionate). I did get a tiny amount of clear fluid on my hand when giving her a belly rub yesterday, but the hairless nipple areas don’t seem ‘full’. She isn’t licking anywhere, and nothing else noticeable happening. She is semi interested in nesting boxes but not much has changed since she arrived!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any pictures of her pregnant unfortunately, only videos, but I can say she was unbelievably huge, and she had seven kittens for each pregnancy (she had three). Even when she was half way and hadn't started producing milk she was very obviously pregnant. I think that had to to do with how skinny and malnourished she was at the time though.

The only thing I can suggest is an ultrasound, but other than that just continue to monitor her closely. Thank you so much for taking her on, and would love to see some pics of her and the babies once they finally arrive!

This is the best pic I have of her last litter, there was also a ginger boy and a fully black girl but they refused to be in the photo (all were originally feral and those two took the longest to tame). That little one on the end looking at the camera ended up being a foster fail, Alfie, the terror of my home.
Screenshot_20210928-214350_Gallery.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Naww - I can see why he was a keeper!

An ultrasound would be awesome but I imagine it’s considerable expense for the rescue and as there’s nothing to suggest she isn’t completely healthy, I’m happy to keep waiting. She is very content on her mat in the middle of the room we have her in and isn’t stressed in the slightest, she just gets up to eat, have a pat and go to the bathroom- it’s just how tight and hard her tummy seems to be. As we don’t know her, it’s hard to tell if she will be a skinny cat after the kittens are born or is a chunker with a handful of kittens in there.. when I pat her belly I certainly can’t make out individual kittens, just a big hard mass that twitches and wiggles in different places.

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After an absolutely normal morning eating, drinking cuddling on the lounge- this afternoon we finally have some kittens <3
She waited for us and from us sitting down with her we had first kitten within about 3 minutes and she continued every 15 minutes until 5 kittens in total. They look perfect but smaller than I remember so I’m not completely convinced she is done with how big she seemed, but 5 would be easier on her body so I hope she is done!
We have 4 tabby and whites and 1 ginger and white, mum is torti <3. I’ll weigh later tonight.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats! Pictures of the little guys would be great.

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mum is licking the kittens and herself intermittently but is open mouth purring, and has been for some time.. is this anything to be concerned about?
She had only done this prior to each kitten being born a couple of minutes later. All 5 placentas were eaten, the last kitten arrived close to three hours ago, she did seem tired and took longer to clean the fifth kitten. All kittens latched on well.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she stopped open mouth purring now? She may have just been panting from the exertion, or cats often open their mouths slightly to allow scents to better reach the scent glands in the roof of their mouths. She may have been inhaling the smell of her kittens.

If she is still holding her mouth open hours later, then I would be a little concerned.

Congratulations, those are some beautiful kittens you have there, both you and mumma should be proud. They all look healthy and well formed from what I can see :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their weights are excellent! Give mom a dish a day of kitten formula. She needs the calcium and it helps with panting.

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she stopped open mouth purring now? She may have just been panting from the exertion, or cats often open their mouths slightly to allow scents to better reach the scent glands in the roof of their mouths. She may have been inhaling the smell of her kittens.

If she is still holding her mouth open hours later, then I would be a little concerned.

Congratulations, those are some beautiful kittens you have there, both you and mumma should be proud. They all look healthy and well formed from what I can see :)
She had the last kitten about 3:30pm and it’s now 11:30pm.. I’m in touch with a network of women through the rescue group and we are hoping at this stage just part of the process/ stressed/ hurting from delivery / maybe more kittens to be delivered. She relaxed and stopped the open mouth for over an hour, at this time she then had some chicken broth and kitten food. She is now moving about the box again and either licking herself or the kittens, but panting as soon as she stops licking.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is not unusual for moms to be exhausted and to pant after giving birth. Hormones are in high gear and it takes new moms a couple of days to settle down.

Nursing is hard work for mom’s body as it starts up, and can also cause panting. As I mentioned above, extra calcium helps with panting. She needs a dish a day of kitten formula through her nursing days to help with her calcium needs, as low calcium can cause panting as well.

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not unusual for moms to be exhausted and to pant after giving birth. Hormones are in high gear and it takes new moms a couple of days to settle down.

Nursing is hard work for mom’s body as it starts up, and can also cause panting. As I mentioned above, extra calcium helps with panting. She needs a dish a day of kitten formula through her nursing days to help with her calcium needs, as low calcium can cause panting as well.
That is great to hear thank you!I had been giving her some kitten formula with her kitten food for the last 6 days (I’ve had her 8) do you think that would be long enough for that not to be a reason to pant? I’ll add a photo of the tin I’m using..

Attachments

JenAh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Day three and kits all seem to be gaining well (I’ll attach photos to ensure that’s true), she wasn’t a skinny mum and is still rather round.

There was a thick drip of blood on the tile floor tonight and she still looks a bit messy and I’m not convinced she can reach to clean herself up down there completely, but she is otherwise normal eating and drinking heaps, using kitty litter ect... should I be worried about the blood? It was the colour of fresh blood and about a 2cm wide thick drip left on the floor.. all placentas were accounted for, cant feel any movement when hold my hands on her belly..

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal for cats to spot for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals, so unless you see a lot more blood there’s no concern.

Kittens are gaining nicely!

Clean mom’s bottom with a warm, damp cloth if need be to help her out.