Should you wake up a cat with nightmares?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. <3 Gizmo is on a very strict diet (he's got about 5-6 extra pounds to lose), so treats aren't a good option for every time he has nightmares, unfortunately. I tried getting a video last night, but of course, in typical cat fashion, as soon as I pulled out my phone he woke up.

We just got the kitten spayed yesterday, so now we can focus on getting Gizmo taken care of. <3

Trying to answer a few questions here, but I'm really tired so apologies if it's difficult to understand at all. ^^;

He was never abused or an outdoor cat, we've had him since he was a few weeks old, and we know where he came from/how he was taken care of. We even know his mother and potential father, haha. So no chance of trauma there.
He has had nightmares his whole life, but they've gotten more frequent and violent as he's gotten older.
There have been no changes in his environment or anything to stress him out. We got 2 new kittens about 3 months ago? Maybe 4? I'm not sure. He's adjusted to them well though, and he seems to be enjoying their company even! One of our elder cats passed away last month, but he didn't seem too affected by it. I don't think he liked her too much, so he's not feeling her missing like we are.
His diet hasn't changed at all, he's eating the same food as he has been for a few months.
I probably missed a question or two, sorry about that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. <3 Gizmo is on a very strict diet (he's got about 5-6 extra pounds to lose), so treats aren't a good option for every time he has nightmares, unfortunately. I tried getting a video last night, but of course, in typical cat fashion, as soon as I pulled out my phone he woke up.

We just got the kitten spayed yesterday, so now we can focus on getting Gizmo taken care of. <3

Trying to answer a few questions here, but I'm really tired so apologies if it's difficult to understand at all. ^^;

He was never abused or an outdoor cat, we've had him since he was a few weeks old, and we know where he came from/how he was taken care of. We even know his mother and potential father, haha. So no chance of trauma there.
He has had nightmares his whole life, but they've gotten more frequent and violent as he's gotten older.
There have been no changes in his environment or anything to stress him out. We got 2 new kittens about 3 months ago? Maybe 4? I'm not sure. He's adjusted to them well though, and he seems to be enjoying their company even! One of our elder cats passed away last month, but he didn't seem too affected by it. I don't think he liked her too much, so he's not feeling her missing like we are.
His diet hasn't changed at all, he's eating the same food as he has been for a few months.
I probably missed a question or two, sorry about that.
Good on ya for getting your kitten spayed!
Well, we never know how a loss affects someone else -- sometimes we may think there was no bond when there actually was, and we just didn't see it.
Feline Greenies have 2 calories per treat. Just FYI.

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw this in a cat on an episode of Jackson Galaxy's show.

Not that I mean to scare you, but the cat had had a stroke and the only sign of it was the nightmares and violent twitching in his sleep.

It might be worth asking the vet of they can determine this?

Sugasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww! I didn't know Geoffrey had nightmares, @artiemom! I hope it's not often that he has to go through that.
Well, I'm not sure about the waking up part. I don't have nightmares, but I do have intense dreams sometimes and I'm always glad to wake up from them, so I'd think cats would be, too. I would definitely talk with the vet about them and try to capture one on video so the vet can see them. Cats who have come from bad homes or had to live outdoors may very well have nightmares. Not pleasant!
Yeah Suga was an outdoor cat until she got hurt and I brought her in that night she became my little angel indoor cat. I figured her nightmares started after she got attacked but I would be careful how you wake them up during nightmares!!!