Should we take the Stray/Feral Cat when we move

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Day 3 of Bandit coming with us! She is acclimating very well, she finally used the litter box for the first time today. She stays close but is starting to warm up and even wanders the house when the puppy is outside. So happy I took her with us! View attachment 374595
She's gorgeous, and she looks very happy and comfortable! :hearthrob: :bicolorcat::hearthrob::cloud9::loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

geminigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any new updates? I hope all is going well with Bandit.
All is going great, sorry for the delay! We ended up taking in my step-daughters cat as well so that has been an adjustment. Bandit is so sweet and just the best little cuddle bug ever. She loves sleeping with us, roams the house and is playing with our other female cat, Midnight. We were worried for a bit because she was throwing up often (sometimes once or twice a day) and we thought we would need to take her to the vet to get her checked out. But my boyfriend noticed that when she was grooming she was able to lick all up her neck and was licking the Soresto Flea collar we had on her so we took that off and it seems to have helped. we are still monitoring her to make sure that is what was causing her to throw up but we have her scheduled for her annual vet check and vaccines in June. I'll attach some pics soon. :whitecat: :hearthrob::cheerleader:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All is going great, sorry for the delay! We ended up taking in my step-daughters cat as well so that has been an adjustment. Bandit is so sweet and just the best little cuddle bug ever. She loves sleeping with us, roams the house and is playing with our other female cat, Midnight. We were worried for a bit because she was throwing up often (sometimes once or twice a day) and we thought we would need to take her to the vet to get her checked out. But my boyfriend noticed that when she was grooming she was able to lick all up her neck and was licking the Soresto Flea collar we had on her so we took that off and it seems to have helped. we are still monitoring her to make sure that is what was causing her to throw up but we have her scheduled for her annual vet check and vaccines in June. I'll attach some pics soon. :whitecat: :hearthrob::cheerleader:
Thanks god you took that collar off! I would never use any flea collar on a cat as they are not breakaway/safety closure, and that brand has a very bad reputation. If you must use a flea killer, I recommend Advantage CAT, keyed to her weight. It is the only brand I have ever trusted and the only one I would ever use. A flea comb is a good alternative. And keeping cats indoors only is the best choice of all, to keep them safe and healthy and you with peace of mind.

geminigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks god you took that collar off! I would never use any flea collar on a cat as they are not breakaway/safety closure, and that brand has a very bad reputation. If you must use a flea killer, I recommend Advantage CAT, keyed to her weight. It is the only brand I have ever trusted and the only one I would ever use. A flea comb is a good alternative. And keeping cats indoors only is the best choice of all, to keep them safe and healthy and you with peace of mind.
Just curious but if we keep all of them indoors at all times do you think they need flea prevention? The only reason we had the Soresto Collar on her was because she was outdoors before and the fleas were pretty bad over there, plus we weren't sure at the time if we would be able to catch her to apply a topical on her monthly or even every 3 months. Since we have moved we have all the other cats on Bravecto (recommended by our vet) and its topical every 3 months.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious but if we keep all of them indoors at all times do you think they need flea prevention? The only reason we had the Soresto Collar on her was because she was outdoors before and the fleas were pretty bad over there, plus we weren't sure at the time if we would be able to catch her to apply a topical on her monthly or even every 3 months. Since we have moved we have all the other cats on Bravecto (recommended by our vet) and its topical every 3 months.
That is another brand with a bad reputation. Just because a vet recommends something does NOT mean it is of high quality, or safe. You can google or bing those brands and read about them for yourself--don't take my word for it. Vets are like human-treating doctors. They push whatever the drug pushers push to them.
If you have carpeting and know you have fleas, I would recommend a product like FleaBusters, which is basically borax. I've heard there is a spray version now and IDK how safe it is; the kind I used was crystals, which you pour onto the carpet, work in with a broom or carpet rake, and then vacuum. It is very effective and safer than most products. The Advantage is good to have on hand just in case. I've had to use it even though my cats are indoors-only, because people can bring fleas indoors from outside, from dogs or wildlife that are out there. The flea comb is my preferred way to control fleas.

geminigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is another brand with a bad reputation. Just because a vet recommends something does NOT mean it is of high quality, or safe. You can google or bing those brands and read about them for yourself--don't take my word for it. Vets are like human-treating doctors. They push whatever the drug pushers push to them.
If you have carpeting and know you have fleas, I would recommend a product like FleaBusters, which is basically borax. I've heard there is a spray version now and IDK how safe it is; the kind I used was crystals, which you pour onto the carpet, work in with a broom or carpet rake, and then vacuum. It is very effective and safer than most products. The Advantage is good to have on hand just in case. I've had to use it even though my cats are indoors-only, because people can bring fleas indoors from outside, from dogs or wildlife that are out there. The flea comb is my preferred way to control fleas.
ok great, I will take a look. Right now our house is all tile so that it helpful, not a lot of places fleas can get stuck in but yes its best to have something on hand just in case. thank you again!

geminigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Acclimated is an understatement as she sits and waits for the next spoonful of dinner!
Yes, she likes to sit and see what we are eating! My boyfriend was trying to finish his bowl of cereal and she squeezed under his arm to see what he had. LOL We don't give any of the animals people food but i did make her a small bowl of wet food so she could eat with him. Its actually super cute, he has taken to her just as much as i have!