Should we get the iv drip?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for another post. I'm an anxious mess today.

Musiakas liver enzymes are elevated - his ALT is over 1000, ALP is over 200. Vet nr 1 says we need to do the IV drip for at least 3 days in a row. Vet nr 2 says it's not necessary and Musiaka doesn't look dehydrated. Musiaka is also restless at the vet and I'm worried about him refusing to stay calm for 1,5 hours. He will roam around. Vet nr 1 suggest we put him into a restraining bag, which is out of question. It will be torture for him. Sedation can't be done such high ALT.

Musiaka does drink water. I got him to eat today, but the appetite is much lower. However he throws up once every 24h, during the night. This week he only didn't throw up on monday and friday. Some days were just a little bile and hair, others, like yesterday, was a larger pile of undigested food.

I'm so scared to make the wrong choice. About to throw up myself thinking about it. Should we get the IV fluids? Could it be enough with subcutaneous shots and cerenia? The price is not the issue, I just don't want to cause Musiaka such stress if staying there for 1,5 can be avoided.

Please help me decide :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you considered giving Musiaka sub-Q fluids at home? There may be things you can do at home to help him stay calm with you that he wouldn't be inclined to do in a vet's clinic. There are a number of members on this site that have done so successfully. I truly hope some of them see your thread and can respond about doing the fluids at home.

EDIT: If he is throwing up mostly at night, could it be from too much stomach acids collecting in his belly because it is empty? Is there a way to get him to eat whatever he is willing to eat on at more frequent intervals so that he never really has an absolutely empty tummy?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you considered giving Musiaka sub-Q fluids at home? There may be things you can do at home to help him stay calm with you that he wouldn't be inclined to do in a vet's clinic. There are a number of members on this site that have done so successfully. I truly hope some of them see your thread and can respond about doing the fluids at home.

EDIT: If he is throwing up mostly at night, could it be from too much stomach acids collecting in his belly because it is empty? Is there a way to get him to eat whatever he is willing to eat on at more frequent intervals so that he never really has an absolutely empty tummy?
I would gladly give sub-q shots at home, if the vet showed me how to do it safely. Or at least I could just take him in for a quick shot and go back immediately, so he stresses as little as possible.
Called vet nr 1 today and she is of course convinced that it's a bad choice not giving him the drip. But it was also her who told me to fast Musiaka for 12 hours before the bloodwork and I honestly thing that might be what made things worse! He still had his good appetite that morning and I took him in with an empty stomach. After the visit was when he lost his appetite.

It could definitely be acids, as there's definitely some bilious vomiting there too. There's a big problem of him not going to his bowl at night. Now it's because he doesn't have an appetite, but before he used to ignore the food and wait for someone to wake up and only then he would eat. I usually wake up during the night, so I could use that time to encourage him to eat.

Still not sure about the drip... what if I'm making a mistake not taking him in for it? :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
usually wake up during the night, so I could use that time to encourage him to eat...Still not sure about the drip... what if I'm making a mistake not taking him in for it?
Try getting him to eat when you are up during the night. Can't hurt to try. Has anyone in your other thread(s) given you a list of foods to try to jump-start his appetite?
As far as the drip, if you don't feel like you have a good understanding of what the vet expects to accomplish with it, then call and ask them to explain it to you in detail. Maybe the additional information would help you make a decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try getting him to eat when you are up during the night. Can't hurt to try. Has anyone in your other thread(s) given you a list of foods to try to jump-start his appetite?
As far as the drip, if you don't feel like you have a good understanding of what the vet expects to accomplish with it, then call and ask them to explain it to you in detail. Maybe the additional information would help you make a decision.
I mix some of the Specific Digestive wet food with some water and syringe feed him, gor recommended that by someone one here. Also to get some probiotics.

Decided to get the drip after all, it has all kinds of restorative things in it, so maybe worth a try...Musiaka is really miserable today