Should we get another kitten after sibling passed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get a male kitten, in my experience, females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, and do not buddy up with the males later in life as much as the males do. He is very young yet, he will adjust and be grateful later on. So will your broken heart........
Thank you for your advice ❤ I had two females before so I agree, a boy would probably fit Scotchie much better then a female 🐱 thank you again xx

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes ... I would introduce another kitten and I would not wait either ... I have 5 cats who live together, play together and sleep together .. the amount of time they spend every day with each other , the chasing, play and mental stimulation, the comfort and grooming is something I cannot replace as I am simply not there 24/7. Kittens especially need a lot of play, attention .... I foster kittens and never had issues introducing kittens to other kittens ... I do not do a drawn out introduction ... maybe a week in a bathroom to get rid of the stranger smell but in most cases they start playing ( first pretty loud with screams and chasing lol ) quickly . Especially kittens that have lived with other kittens accept other cats more easily ... I attached a picture of my 3 year old Nori with our now 5.5 months ol Phoenix who has been with us about 3 months ... as you can see ...they enjoy each other's company ( but make no mistake ... the adult did discipline those babies and taught the their manners ;-) )

Attachments

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes ... I would introduce another kitten and I would not wait either ... I have 5 cats who live together, play together and sleep together .. the amount of time they spend every day with each other , the chasing, play and mental stimulation, the comfort and grooming is something I cannot replace as I am simply not there 24/7. Kittens especially need a lot of play, attention .... I foster kittens and never had issues introducing kittens to other kittens ... I do not do a drawn out introduction ... maybe a week in a bathroom to get rid of the stranger smell but in most cases they start playing ( first pretty loud with screams and chasing lol ) quickly . Especially kittens that have lived with other kittens accept other cats more easily ... I attached a picture of my 3 year old Nori with our now 5.5 months ol Phoenix who has been with us about 3 months ... as you can see ...they enjoy each other's company ( but make no mistake ... the adult did discipline those babies and taught the their manners ;-) )
Thank you for that information! Makes me a bit less nervous about introducing a new kitten to Scotch! Your cats are adorable, that photo is so cute!! Five cats, that must be wonderful! This was the first time we had 2 kittens at the same time and it was the cutest thing ever to see them play, groom and sleep together!! I miss it so much right now. I think Scotch does too! He's been pretty good since we lost Butter but I think a new play mate will def. help him, us!! I've put out feelers and have been watching the adopt a pet sites for a new baby!! Thank you again for your advise, it's much appreciated!! :)

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maybe you could foster for a rescue? Have your kitten pick his own companion ... these are two brothers and in the middle a singleton who is about two months older ... we have cat piles ...
I don't think i could foster, i would not be able to give them back LOL I love your cat piles!! They are sooooo adorable!! Thank you for your response :)

holsweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure if you’ll see this, I know it’s been a while since the original post. I’m sorry to hear about butter passing away so young, it truly is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you as I know even as time passes it never truly leaves you. I wanted to ask if you got the kitten in the end and how Scotch took to them if you did? I have a 6 month old who has recently lost his brother and I’m feeling like he may need a friend. My Oscar is the lively one and our dear Otis who passed was quieter and more reserved but has been crying around the house too and being more clingy than normal. Im just at a real loss and looking for help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With your kitten only being 6 months old, I think another friend would help him adjust and keep him company. It may take a while, as all introductions do, but it would keep both of you distracted and busy....