Should we get another kitten after sibling passed

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Posted earlier about the loss of my 10 month old kitten, Butter :( we adopted him and his brother Scotch when they were 3 months old. They were always together, sleeping, playing, snuggling. Butter was the more outgoing kitten and Scotch more reserved. Its been over a week now since we lost our Butter and Scotch is eating and playing with us and grooming himself so he seems to be adjusting ok. Except when we go to work, he seems to wander around the house lost for a while before going to sleep.. He cuddles us so much more now as Butter was the snuggle boy and Scotch only when he was in the mood but he seems much more attached to us now.. follows us through the house now, snuggles on my lap now and stands at door when we leave (that breaks my heart) Once he has time to grieve, should we get another kitten for him? We have the opportunity to get a 3 month old kitten next month. Or should we get one his age? A girl? A boy? We just think since he was with Butter his whole life that he will need a mate to play with and still have fun with but we don't want to upset him either..he's been through enough. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.. trying to make sure we take good care of Scotchie even with tears running down my face for Butter, i want to be sure to take care of Scotch's heart too xoxo

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 10 months, he'll accept a young kitten quite easily. Oh, there might be a little fuss for as much as around a week if you are unlucky, but they will end up friends. Another 10 month old would be fine too, they would almost certainly end up friends, but there could be slightly more fussing/stress before you get there.

I'd get a kitten, its just easier, although two cats under a year is definitely not a hard intro either unless you get unlucky. Adding a kitten, about the only issue you'd face (after the adjustment) is that 10 month olds are of an age where they don't typically restrain their play quite enough with a young kitten. They are just a bit too wild. Think head noogies and indian sunburns -- the kittens don't actually get hurt, but they are uncomfortable at times. So the kittens might run away during play, hiss a little bit. But they come out in 5 minutes and act like nothing happened, and when the older cat is chill, they are good friends. Things get more equal over time. Its all good in other words, even though you may be a little stressed the first time you see how rough the play is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At 10 months, he'll accept a young kitten quite easily. Oh, there might be a little fuss for as much as around a week if you are unlucky, but they will end up friends. Another 10 month old would be fine too, they would almost certainly end up friends, but there could be slightly more fussing/stress before you get there.

I'd get a kitten, its just easier, although two cats under a year is definitely not a hard intro either unless you get unlucky. Adding a kitten, about the only issue you'd face (after the adjustment) is that 10 month olds are of an age where they don't typically restrain their play quite enough with a young kitten. They are just a bit too wild. Think head noogies and indian sunburns -- the kittens don't actually get hurt, but they are uncomfortable at times. So the kittens might run away during play, hiss a little bit. But they come out in 5 minutes and act like nothing happened, and when the older cat is chill, they are good friends. Things get more equal over time. Its all good in other words, even though you may be a little stressed the first time you see how rough the play is.
Thank you so much for that advice!! Havent been able to find much info on introducing a kitten to a 10 month old. Most advice was introducing a kitten to an older cat so I really appreciate hearing how it would be for my 10 month old boy! Thanks you!!!!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience is that two cats are easier to care for than a single one (expenses notwithstanding), especially if they're both fairly young. If Scotch seems to miss his former companion, perhaps you should get another.

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My experience is that two cats are easier to care for than a single one (expenses notwithstanding), especially if they're both fairly young. If Scotch seems to miss his former companion, perhaps you should get another.
Thank you for the advice Vince. This is the first time we had to cats at the same time and it was absolutely wonderful and so adorable to see them with each other! But no sad as Scotch seems to really Miss Butter when we aren't home so i think we def leaning towards a new baby for Scotchie. Thank you again for your response! :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think he would very much appreciate a new playmate. I wouldn’t be concerned about waiting a period of time for him to grieve but adopt when you feel ready. At his age there might be a very short period of hissing but it will evolve into playing in no time.

Last edited:

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think he would very much appreciate a new playmate. I wouldn’t be concerned about waiting a period of time for him to grieve but adopt when you feel ready. At his age there might be a very short period of hissing but it will evolve into playing no time.
Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I also think he should have a buddy. Male or female won't matter at this age (assuming he's already neutered of course!). A 3-month-old may be too young to play as rough as he wants, but if you protect the younger one a little at first they should be fairly equal within a month or two.

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I also think he should have a buddy. Male or female won't matter at this age (assuming he's already neutered of course!). A 3-month-old may be too young to play as rough as he wants, but if you protect the younger one a little at first they should be fairly equal within a month or two.
Ok, thank you for that information. I wasnt sure about the male or female. maybe go with a male then if you think it doesnt matter. Yes, Scotchie was neutered back in September. And ok will try more for 4/5 month old though we have a prospect for the 3 month old in a few weeks, but ill see what happens and if we do get the little one we will protect him so there is no to rough play. Thank you again,

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...We have the opportunity to get a 3 month old kitten next month. Or should we get one his age? A girl? A boy? We just think since he was with Butter his whole life that he will need a mate to play with and still have fun with but we don't want to upset him either..he's been through enough. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.. trying to make sure we take good care of Scotchie even with tears running down my face for Butter, i want to be sure to take care of Scotch's heart too xoxo
I'm so sorry for your loss of Butter,... tbtra tbtra :alright: :rbheart: :hugs: :grouphug:
I think it would be really good for you, and Scotch,... if you can get either that 3 month old kitten, or another young kitten or close to same age young cat as Scotch.

Try to just match up the personality of the cat that you think would best suit Scotch.
(I think when they are kittens, it doesn't really matter if male or female, since both love to play. Only as they get older, do you notice that 'play-styles' are sometimes different. Not always. And personality would matter more.)

Try to look at it,...as you are 'honouring the memory of your Butter'...and that Butter would not want you to be sad for too long.
It sounds like in the short time that Butter was alive that he enjoyed life,...and so...he would want you all to enjoy it again.
(That photo above of your two kittens sleeping is just beautiful.) :touched:

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Butter,... tbtra tbtra :alright: :rbheart: :hugs: :grouphug:
I think it would be really good for you, and Scotch,... if you can get either that 3 month old kitten, or another young kitten or close to same age young cat as Scotch.

Try to just match up the personality of the cat that you think would best suit Scotch.
(I think when they are kittens, it doesn't really matter if male or female, since both love to play. Only as they get older, do you notice that 'play-styles' are sometimes different. Not always. And personality would matter more.)

Try to look at it,...as you are 'honouring the memory of your Butter'...and that Butter would not want you to be sad for too long.
It sounds like in the short time that Butter was alive that he enjoyed life,...and so...he would want you all to enjoy it again.
(That photo above of your two kittens sleeping is just beautiful.) :touched:
thank you xx he really did love life and made our life so happy .. miss him so much.. he wouldn’t want me sad tho I know .. they took the best pictures together ..I’ll miss them together so much .. thanks for your kind words 💕i will get a new baby for Scotchie (and me..) Thank you again 🐱

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you xx he really did love life and made our life so happy .. miss him so much.. he wouldn’t want me sad tho I know .. they took the best pictures together ..I’ll miss them together so much .. thanks for your kind words 💕i will get a new baby for Scotchie (and me..) Thank you again 🐱
Who's who in the photo, if you don't mind me asking?
It only occurred to me now....Butter and Scotch....Butter Scotch. :)
One kitten is a bit lighter and one is darker?

You will miss him for quite a long while, for always. But his short time with you... will seem like a full lifetime,...when grief leaves you..and then you remember only the good times with him and Scotch.
Not the ending, but only the happy memories together with everyone. :heartshape:
I hope your heart heals soon. :hugs: :hugs:

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who's who in the photo, if you don't mind me asking?
It only occurred to me now....Butter and Scotch....Butter Scotch. :)
One kitten is a bit lighter and one is darker?

You will miss him for quite a long while, for always. But his short time with you... will seem like a full lifetime,...when grief leaves you..and then you remember only the good times with him and Scotch.
Not the ending, but only the happy memories together with everyone. :heartshape:
I hope your heart heals soon. :hugs: :hugs:
Butter is the buff boy 🐱Scotchie is the is the orange boy 🐱 Butter was the outgoing guy..always snuggling and following you every where xx it kills not to see him tailing behind me ... ☹ .i am grateful I have wee Scotch and he’s more cuddly as the poor boy doesn’t have his brother 😞. thank you for your support and kind words ❤ I’ll post one of my favorite pics of my boys ..ugg 💔

Attachments

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Butter is the buff boy 🐱Scotchie is the is the orange boy 🐱 Butter was the outgoing guy..always snuggling and following you every where xx it kills not to see him tailing behind me ... ☹ .i am grateful I have wee Scotch and he’s more cuddly as the poor boy doesn’t have his brother 😞. thank you for your support and kind words ❤ I’ll post one of my favorite pics of my boys ..ugg 💔
Ps yes! Butterscotch 😊 ..

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so right. They truly do have the nicest photos together.
You are also an amazing photographer, too. :)

In the next few weeks, you'll probably be reminded of all the places that Butter liked to be.
That is totally okay.
Sure, it will make you cry and be sad,...but probably bring a little smile too, ...just for the fact that he was with you, there. :caticon:
Ps yes! Butterscotch 😊 ..
That's beautiful, funny, and original. :blush:

PS...I just found your other thread...and will go over there and read it, too. :touched:

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're so right. They truly do have the nicest photos together.
You are also an amazing photographer, too. :)

In the next few weeks, you'll probably be reminded of all the places that Butter liked to be.
That is totally okay.
Sure, it will make you cry and be sad,...but probably bring a little smile too, ...just for the fact that he was with you, there. :caticon:

That's beautiful, funny, and original. :blush:

PS...I just found your other thread...and will go over there and read it, too. :touched:
I see my Butter every where and it hurts my heart my little boy isn’t running around anymore ☹Scotchie is so much more quiet ! I couldn’t help but take good pictures of the boys! They are so adorable.. I would walk in a room And they would be sitting some cute way together so ide run for my camera ❤ I sure have lots and lots of pictures of them! It just feels like my happiness is gone .. he just made us laugh and enjoy every day .. I guess I’m better today then yesterday..but it crushes me not having him sitting on me while I have my coffee this morning.. thank you for all your kind words and support! It really helps!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I see my Butter every where and it hurts my heart my little boy isn’t running around anymore ☹Scotchie is so much more quiet ! I couldn’t help but take good pictures of the boys! They are so adorable.. I would walk in a room And they would be sitting some cute way together so ide run for my camera ❤ I sure have lots and lots of pictures of them! It just feels like my happiness is gone .. he just made us laugh and enjoy every day .. I guess I’m better today then yesterday..but it crushes me not having him sitting on me while I have my coffee this morning.. thank you for all your kind words and support! It really helps!
I'm glad I could help a little.
I wish I had words to say...that would lessen some of your pain and sadness.

I think when our animals die, the missing them and sadness is just normal, because their lives are so short.
What's not fair, is that your Butter's life was way too short.
I know people say that 'everything has a reason'...and 'we are given things that we don't realize, will make us stronger'...but come on...it still does not take away the pain, when we have to lose them.
So I guess we just have to go through the pain, and it does eventually make us stronger.

tbtra tbtra ...your photos are awesome.
The one in post #13 should be on a magazine cover. :loveeyes:
You should post them, over in Butter's tribute thread, too.

The one over there, with Scotch in the sink and Butter on the counter, made me smile a lot.
How you'd get anything done in the bathroom, with those two laying around, ..is beyond me. :)

tbtra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I could help a little.
I wish I had words to say...that would lessen some of your pain and sadness.

I think when our animals die, the missing them and sadness is just normal, because their lives are so short.
What's not fair, is that your Butter's life was way too short.
I know people say that 'everything has a reason'...and 'we are given things that we don't realize, will make us stronger'...but come on...it still does not take away the pain, when we have to lose them.
So I guess we just have to go through the pain, and it does eventually make us stronger.

tbtra tbtra ...your photos are awesome.
The one in post #13 should be on a magazine cover. :loveeyes:
You should post them, over in Butter's tribute thread, too.

The one over there, with Scotch in the sink and Butter on the counter, made me smile a lot.
How you'd get anything done in the bathroom, with those two laying around, ..is beyond me. :)
Haha I’ve always said my boys should be in magazines! They were so precious together! They follow you everywhere in the house to! When I made dinner Butter would sit on the island and watch ..sat on bathroom floor when I took a bath .. they were always under foot but I loved it! I still got things done, just took a while lol Scotch doesn’t follow me as much now .. though he looks for more snuggles!! This has been so hard on us all .. the heart sure endures some great pain in life ☹ Thanks for all your great comments! Here’s another picture of the boys when they were a bit smaller xx I miss them together so much !!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get a male kitten, in my experience, females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, and do not buddy up with the males later in life as much as the males do. He is very young yet, he will adjust and be grateful later on. So will your broken heart........