Should one adopt 2 unrelated 4 month olds at the same time? or wait on one?

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Odd situation, but I have an option to adopt a second cat ealier than I expected. I am just adopting my new kitty this weekend. She's 4 months old, and very sweet. Now i have an option to adopt a second - not from same litter! Completely different. also 4 months. With they adjust better with or without the second cat? They are both socialized well with other cats/kittens. Thoughts? Thanks. (This is a sweet breed of cat)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you plan on adopting more than one Kitten it's always better to get them at the same time, it will be much easier to introduce them the younger they are.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get two. They keep each other company and have someone to play with. That is also a good age for minimum introduction problems, though they still might have some for a while. Two is really hardly any more expensive to have, bring them in together for vaccinations and only get one office charge! I say, go for it!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two is so much easier then one! Seriously, adopt two it's worth it :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to get the two around the same time. They are so adaptable at this age and will probably take to each other and be a comfort to one another in very short order.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone, but you can wait a few months if that is the right choice for you. A cat under a year (and even under two) is just about always going to befriend a kitten -- the odds of friendship slowly go down over time, but not dramatically, at least not till about 2 years of age. About the worst that happens if you wait a few months and get a second kitten later is that the size difference can interfere with play a bit -- kitten might squeal a tad at times and run away during play now and then, when things get uncomfortable. Well that, and the kitten won't have a playmate for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks everyone! The second kitten is not nearby...so still a bit of a worry re covid and travel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do I have to worry about disease - that they are coming from two different places? And both young?