Should my cat's PU incision look like this?

FrazzledCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

My cat had PU surgery on Wednesday and came home yesterday. The cone he had on in the vets for the first two days was a bit short and I noticed he could get at the incision so I changed him to a bigger cone.

I'm now wondering if the incision looks okay or if he may have got a stitch loose. He peed this morning.
PXL_20210723_163426010.jpg

This was the incision yesterday as soon as he got home.

And this is it earlier today:
PXL_20210724_154031278.jpg

There's no bleeding and he seems in decent form, all things considered.

Thanks.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would send these photos to your vet. There looks like there is a little bit of swelling, and the black gunk worries me a little. I think its best to talk to a professional about this, infection can be subtle but serious.

Best of luck, please update!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Hopefully your cat's recent surgery will put an end to his issues in this area. I agree that the vet should see the pics, or the cat in person. We aren't doctors and are looking at a pic, but the first one does look as if there is an opening which might be from a ripped stitch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrazzledCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. I called my vet this morning and they said to send a photo. They're yet to reply so I'll call them again tomorrow.

FrazzledCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet has been in touch to say it's not unusual for a PU site to look like one big messy blood clot at this stage. She said as long as he's peeing and there's no sign of infection, he should be good.

FrazzledCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a quick update for anyone who has a cat who had the PU surgery, same as Olly who is looking for info and found this thread.

Olly's incision looked gnarly and was basically one big seepy scab until today. I was CONVINCED he'd pulled a few stitches loose. However, the scab fell off at some point and it looks like he's healing great. He's on day 10 of recovery. Pics for reference.

Moral: it's gonna look a bit mad but keep them chill and calm and it should be okay!

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a big surgery with a long recovery period. I am glad your cat is doing well.