Should kittens be separated from mom for a while each day

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a 100%Ferral cat about 3 years ago ,she had a litter in my shop and abandoned them I tried to raise them but none survived did not see moma cat again till 18 months ago when I was in my shop heard this screaming ,and finally found 2 kittens eyes not both open ,so I looked around apened a cabinet door ,and same cat hissed growled and shot past me out of my shop I dont scare easy but my heart stopped right their.

I gathered my self saw 2 more kittens for a total of four in the cabinet I put the 2 back, put some food away from the babies at the door and left all alone ,thought I better check on them a few hours later and when I did they were in bad shape mom had not been back so I took them in house cleaned them.up feed them kmr ,put them back where they were born ,hid a wifi camera. And hoped mom would come back she did not .she came back 5 days later at that point I new she wouldnt but I put her babies in a carrier and put them on my porch she hissed at them and ran off.

vet said they were about 8 to 10 days old so I raised them and now have 4 house cats that are great ,they are 18 months old ,I have been feeding and working with moma cat this hole time to gain trust so i can get her fixed well she got pregnant again ,so i just watched her kept feeding her twice every day and man did she eat tons of food , she got huge then one day she didnt come to eat then the next day she had had them NO doubt .

One week before I had found the 4 and was bottle feeding them ,I had just got 2 new puppies ,so at that time I had four 10 day old kittens and two 8 week old puppies at the same time ,and that my friend was very rough and I knew I did not want to bottle feed another set so I had to catch moma cat after I found out where she had her kittens get them then help her raise them and get her fixed ,I will spare you anymore details and just say ,when they were 2 weeks old i did catch moma cat and got all 6 of her kittens inside.

they are in two 48 inch dog crates that I made into one so they have plenty of room ,they are now 3 1/2 weeks old and are doing great ,i am not new to raising kittens but am new to helping a queen raise hers ,I have to adopt all 6 of these out and get moma cat fixed and she will stay here outside inside whatever she wants ,her and one of my dogs have one of the most special bonds that I have ever saw ,and she now trust me completly.

I am sorry to say all that to only ask this ,but should I be seperating kittens from moma cat for an hour or 2 each day to start getting them use to being away from her ,not to adopt them but to socialize the kittens to humans ,they will not be adopted till 10to 12 weeks old depending on how they do .

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, the trick to spaying shy cats, is NOT to getting their trust which may take years, but to catch them in a trap...
But done is done.

Do the momma allows you to handle the kittens, and socialize them? If so, the separation every day isnt necessary nor recommended.
But if she doesnt allow you to handle them and socialize, even if you are respectful and do everything where she can see you and see nothing wrong happens - if so, yes you must do something.
You dont want to raise a bunch of shy semiferales - they will be difficult to adopt out...
So, either separate from momma some hour every day, and work with them,

or even - separate them from her for good, and handraise as you did earlier...
And Spay her, and let her out....

This with early separating from momma isnt the usual recommendation for cats, but shy ferales are one of the few exceptions. THERE it may be more important to be sure they are socialized properly then they are with momma minimum 8 weeks.
This demands of course, you do have the foster home or adopting families ready. But you have this, so.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ has given you the alternative scenarios for feral kittens in this situation so make a decision as to which one seems to fit. I have always handled feral kittens so that they would be adoptable. That 8 weeks window really is about it for socialization.

I also agree that you can't wait and befriend a true feral....you just have to trap and spay. If it happens again, you will know but the fact that your dog has a bond with her is very positive and it has lead her to trust you.

You have been most kind to this cat and her kittens to hand raise them. My two new indoor only ex ferals, one is my avatar, took two years to get inside because I was not able to do anything but get the whole family fixed when I found them due to other circumstances here. The remaining sister is truly feral and just this morning did the hiss/spit attack when I brought her food...and I have been feeding her for two years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the advice, yes I should have just trapped her ,that was on me ,it may be wrong but I can assure you she will not be let back out till after she is fixed .
To answer some of your questions ,Yes she does let me handle the kittens ,as long as I dont make them cry she is good with it ,the first time I cleaned the cage and changed litter out ,I put the kittens in my garden tub ,and before I could get them all in It she was taking them out and back to the cage , and did growl at me ,but now she is much more settled down . I let her out of the cage now and she either just lays at the foot of the bed or by the cage and let's me know when she wants back in ,now I know it sounds like NO WAY SHE COUKD HAVE BEEN WILD !!! Trust me when I say you dont get any more wild than what she was ,the bond between her and my large dog is unbelievable, and every day we come in bedroom and they have their time ,at least 2 times a day .
I will not forceable separate them right now , and will be start helping her wean them very soon ,thanks again .

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, the trick to spaying shy cats, is NOT to getting their trust which may take years, but to catch them in a trap...
But done is done.

Do the momma allows you to handle the kittens, and socialize them? If so, the separation every day isnt necessary nor recommended.
But if she doesnt allow you to handle them and socialize, even if you are respectful and do everything where she can see you and see nothing wrong happens - if so, yes you must do something.
You dont want to raise a bunch of shy semiferales - they will be difficult to adopt out...
So, either separate from momma some hour every day, and work with them,

or even - separate them from her for good, and handraise as you did earlier...
And Spay her, and let her out....

This with early separating from momma isnt the usual recommendation for cats, but shy ferales are one of the few exceptions. THERE it may be more important to be sure they are socialized properly then they are with momma minimum 8 weeks.
This demands of course, you do have the foster home or adopting families ready. But you have this, so.

Wilsonk2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is gow I should ask another question or start another thread, but I am going to do it this way , this time and if you say I should start a new one then I will ,first thank you for the previous advice ,Kittens are doing well actualy very well ,moma cat trust me unconditionally, I have even took kittens to a differnt room a couple times for them to roam and give her a break all she did was come out and go to sleep ,and not really anything when I brought them back ,so all good on that .these kittens are 4 weeks and 1 or 2 days old ,now the four I completely hand raised were eating solid food between 4 and 5 weeks . moma cat has access to dry kitten food all the time with me giving her one can of food once per day ,and the kittens can not get to it ,should I let them have access to the dry food with some water mixed in with it I have tried to give them the gruel and they want no part of it ,but they do try to get to the dry food .I would appreciate any advice you may be able to give in regards to getting them weaned .

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its usually best to continue old errands in the same thread you do have. :)

Im very glad to hear she IS trusting you, and you dont have no real problems handling the kittens. Because, Im sure, you ARE careful and respectful, and she appreciates this.
So this answers completely your first question: There is no need of separating them. As you can handle them and even take them to another room now and then. Its really a success story.

If they dont want the gruel, let them try with mommas food if they wish... Its after all the natural way - they try what mamma eates.
In Sweden we often begin with minced meat. Even raw minced meat, as we trust our farmers and slaughter houses. But dont give them raw pork. Raw beef or even chicken are ok, thought.
Give some of it to momma, and they see momma eates this. etc.