Should I wipe my cats butt?

springelf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every time my cat goes poo she always comes out with a gross goo stuck to her butt, I try to clean it off because I don't want her to rub it on my furniture and she won't let me and then gets upset with me after wards. Should I continue to clean it or just leave it?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clean it. She might not like it but your relationship will suffer if she gets poo on everything.

Is she having loose stools or diarrhea though?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever get your cat to a vet? All of the symptoms you're posting point to her being unwell.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Harry would never clean his butt. I did it for him every day & he loved it! His problem, I think, was that he had very soft stools & somehow did not associate defecation with butt cleaning.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your cat have long hair around her butt and back legs? Poop often gets stuck back there. You can trim the hair to keep poop from getting stuck.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We actually have an article on this very topic! 

[article="32464"]Be Kind To Your Cats Behinds Dirty Cat Butts Prevention And Treatment​[/article]  

I'm also moving this thread to the Care & Grooming forum.

tiggers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We clean our cat's butt. When we first adopted our kitten (at four months) she had really loose stool and would get poop smears on the bed. :-( One thing to keep in mind, though, is that baby wipes are apparently not good for pets because most contain conditioners that are irritants for cats' skin. We really like Tropiclean Deodorizing pet wipes. Our cat has gotten used to us wiping her bum, and now that she's older it's not much of a problem anymore. 

But if your kitty is having irregular bowel habits, you should try to figure out why! 

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes. :)

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes wipe ! When Alice was very young she didn't groom herself well so I cleaned her "butt" with tissues and water .. It's a bit disgusting but after a while Alice started grooming herself very well she now grooms like a normal clean cat .. So give it time to happen and clean the BUTT!! ;)

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
One time my kitten was careless in her liter and sat in some rather loose stool ( I was testing a new food and it was *NOT* a success). It got all over her rear and she freaked out (she's generally pretty fastidious.)  I finally was able to pick her up and clean her with a warm washcloth. She actually liked it, because I think the rather cheap washcloth I used was a bit rough and reminded her of her mother's tongue.