Should I wake up my newborn kittens to feed them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's gone...

I hate my country

I went to feed her and she was very very weak. I touched her and she started purring, but didn't move. I panicked, added another heat source, gave her the electrolyte solution one drop at a time, and rubbed her gums with a little bit of honey while I searched for an open hospital.
I spent a freaking hour calling supposedly "24 hours emergency service" hospitals, but NOBODY ANSWERED (it was 8:20 a.m, are you kidding?!). When a vet finally answered, I rushed to the car, but she died when I was opening the door :bawling2:
I begged for help for more than a week, asking if they could run some tests, take care of her overnight or whatever, but it seems there aren't any qualified vets who are capable of saving a kitten's life in my area (note that I live in the "best" part of the capital city, and yet...)
They are probably closed for summer break, but guess what? Medical emergencies don't wait up :hmmm:
This death was totally avoidable. I'm sitting here heartbroken, just crying. We said goodbye and buried her in my yard.

Sorry and goodbye, "Pintita" you were a lovely little kitty... :bawling:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so very sorry. RIP sweet Pintita. :hearthrob::angel:

I do still want to see a picture of her poop for future reference. Was it bright yellow or orange?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so very sorry. RIP sweet Pintita. :hearthrob::angel:

I do still want to see a picture of her poop for future reference. Was it bright yellow or orange?
They were pale yellow. The last ones also had mucus and looked something like overcooked rice...
The color seems a lot brighter in the pictures, though. IMG_20220207_005832_mfnr.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you. It seems that she may not have been digesting properly nor absorbing her nutrients well enough. I really think it was a genetic issue, as I feared, and when we do not know, it’s called “Fading Kitten Syndrome.” This is usually the age it happens. I don’t think there was anything more you or a vet could have done. Her organs failed. I had hope when she was at least not losing weight, but she went down fast.

Again, you have my condolences. A beautiful little angel just went over the Rainbow Bridge. 💕

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, but you did everything you could. Probably more than the vets would have.
BTW, it's not just your country. Up here where I live, the 24-hour vet hospital is open 8-5 mon-fri. and they don't have a vet overnight to stay with their patients.
You went above and beyond and just know that you gave her the best possible care. At least she wasn't scared and alone when she went. She was loved and she knew it.