Should I trust Tim to behave lol!

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well after being off for 12 days I go back to work tomorrow.  I work 12 hour shifts and have been putting him in his room when I would go to work.  I would leave him out for short stints if I had to go to the store etc.  Well over the past 12 days he has had free run of the place at night and for 6 hours last week when I had to do a quick trip out of town.  I have made the place pretty safe and the only place there are cords he can get at are  behind the television.  I'm sure that being left alone for as long as he has he would have been able to chew through a cord.  I honestly think the only time he tries to chew on them is when I am around just to see what my reaction is.  I have a metal coffee can full of coins that I shake, hate scaring him but its better than the poor guy getting zapped.  I also bought a product from the pet store called shoo that I sprayed back there last night and so he hasn't went behind the TV,  He also likes chewing on the blinds that are near the TV so I will give it a spray as well before I go to work tomorrow.  I am really hoping this product works as I'm pretty sure he will find the Christmas Tree "interesting" when it goes up.  I just don't want to have to keep him cooped up while I go to work, but I also want to make sure he is safe.  Guess I will make my mind up tomorrow.  I know he looks cute but he can be full of mischief at times.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, he is a cutie. I remember having to monitor and decide just when I could leave my guy alone in the condo. At least he didn't have any interest in cords.

Please research and read up on Christmas trees and cats - don't want to scare you, but it could be an extremely dangerous combination for a young a curious catling, especially one who does display interest in chewing things. Tinsel is a no-no, that much I know-know. But not being of the Christmas Tree purrr-suation, it is a non-issue for me.

Again, please research it (and maybe someone here will have a convenient link to a good article...), I don't think you can really cat-proof one. Doesn't mean they can't co-exist... I just think they have to have grown up and attained a greater degree of "maturity" (or what passes for maturity in a cat).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I taped up all the cords so they are not dangling and that Shoo must be working as he hasn't been under the TV stand or behind it where the cords are.  He looked like he wanted to go back there then turned around so maybe the scent is making him stay away.  I am going to get a pre lit tree so there won't be too many dangling cords.  There is also a product called critter covers for cords.  I don't use tinsel anyway and instead of garland will use the wire ribbon.  And if the Shoo Spray works will spray that around the tree.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like you may trust him on his own while you go to work tomorrow.  I hope he's a good boy and all goes well!  
   Do you have someone who might be able to check on him part way through the day just to make sure all is okay?

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be great for someone to check on him if he's alone for 12 hours.  I get to get on my soapbox for multiple cats now.  I guess I would be more worried he'd become lonely and depressed than I would that he would get into something he shouldn't.  Would it be possible for you to get a buddy for him?  Recent survey of veterinarians shows 7 out of 10 of them think cats are much healthier and happier with companions, and Switzerland does not allow single cat adoptions unless you already have a cat.  Believe me, I'm not lecturing.  I only have one cat.  She's rarely alone, but I still think she needs a companion.  My wife is quietly holding her ground, unfortunately. 

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I came home and he didn't get into any mischief!  We played for an hour now he is starting to wind down, like to get him a buddy but I think one cat is enough.  I just don't want to impose on anyone to look after more than one kitty if I go away.  I think because he was on his own for awhile leaving him for 12 hours probably doesn't bother him too much.  Anyway he does seem able to amuse himself and still sleeps a lot during the day.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds good!  If he seemed happy and not too clingy and anxious when you got home the first indications are that he wasn't too distressed by the separation or how to entertain himself.

Having had a kitten that would chew anything including electric cable I would say the best advice is unplug everything you can and tape up and conceal everything else.  The last thing you want is to come home to a dead or severely burned kitten.  I know one person who had a long haired cat that bit in to a cable outside and had a severely burned mouth: though he survived he was quite disabled and had difficutly eating and grooming.  If they get hold of a cable or caught up in it they can also pull stuff down on top of them as well and that is another hazard.  They are never completely safe but cables are definitley not good.  Cords on blinds and curtains are another thing you want to make sure are tied up and out of the way.  When he's awake and looking for fun it will be amazing what he finds and you could come home to some interesting evidence (my previous cats used to gang up on all my rugs when I was out so they'd be in little heaps in the middle of the floor whenever I got home, even really big heavy ones).

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No damage again today!  He is happy to see me as he rubs up against my legs and when I pick him up he rubs his face against me!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It would be great for someone to check on him if he's alone for 12 hours.  I get to get on my soapbox for multiple cats now.  I guess I would be more worried he'd become lonely and depressed than I would that he would get into something he shouldn't.  Would it be possible for you to get a buddy for him?  Recent survey of veterinarians shows 7 out of 10 of them think cats are much healthier and happier with companions, and Switzerland does not allow single cat adoptions unless you already have a cat.  Believe me, I'm not lecturing.  I only have one cat.  She's rarely alone, but I still think she needs a companion.  My wife is quietly holding her ground, unfortunately. 
YES! 

I adopted Charlie, and i initially wanted to adopt him and his sister, together, but someone else got to her first! a month after having Charlie, he was a happy and healthy kitty, but he was also sad and lonely. I am at work most of the time, and my boyfriend is there with him or checks up on him, but i noticed that he is lonely. I would show him youtube videos of other cats to tease him (like kittens meowing, or cats playing), but instead of getting frantic or curious, he would sit down like a loaf of bread and instantly start purring! he would also headbutt my phone or laptop screen...that's when i realized he remembered his litter mates and missed them very much. 

a month later i adopted another kitty. I did not expect them to behave as litter mates would, they are two completely different cats. and at first they had their issues getting along..but eventually they became close. they are not the bestest of friends yet, but they sleep and cuddle together. They play and fight. and i caught my younger (2nd) kitty, Jet, grooming and kneeding Charlie the other day while he was sleeping...which i NEVER expected..but it happened. 

Cats can be alone and depressed like just people. and its more than just trying to keep them entertained, stimulated, and busy. If you are able to, if you have the money and some time to devote, please do look into another kitty. However, please keep in mind some tips when introducing the two kitties to each other. This link should help.   http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats