Should I test my cat yearly for worms?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be as a preventative. I looked up the flea/tick/heart worm medication but it’s side effects scare me.

Jackie’s annual is coming up in a couple of months. He also had a flea on him .... & I gave him his monthly Cheristin treatment. Still it did get me thinking that theoretically he could still get heart worms from one flea bite. So am I just being over protective or should I test him?

⭐I don’t give him flea medicine once we start getting frost and until it warms up again..... since fleas being there evil bastards they are; hibernate.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't treat for fleas, ticks or heartworm as my cat are indoors (little to no mosquitoes) and I know there are no fleas/ticks around. I do treat for intestinal worms every three months though, as they can pick those up through whatever creepy crawlies (cockroaches etc) or geckos they eat, all common household pests here in Australia. No side affects that I have seen, just a little tablet and its all over.

I don't believe heartworm can be transmitted through fleas. I am pretty sure only mosquitoes, and certain types of them at that, are able to transmit heartworm eggs/larvae.

There would be no harm in testing annually, so if that makes you feel safer I say go for it. Just keep in mind the horror stories you hear are from a number of very few adverse reactions. Most cats have no reaction to the preventatives at all. Not to say your boy won't react, but if you do your research and use a reputable brand, you should be pretty safe. Obviously up to you, of course. Just keep in mind if you saw one flea, there are bound to be more, both on him and in his environment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for telling me it is mosquitoes not fleas that spread heart worms! Luckily mosquitoes are really rare here. So maybe I will get him tested just in case?

Oh I’m aware that there were more fleas. Since he gets a monthly flea treatment he is flea free. He picked it up from my mom’s cats. I’m vacuuming daily and washing everything, just in case! If my place ever got infested, I would fog my apartment!

He goes outside in his harness and visits Nana’s house on the weekend. Mainly to hang out/wrestle with his brother/bff. Yes they are really littermates!
C44628B3-F493-43D6-9723-C2EA3EB17C7A.jpeg

8048388F-D8C5-4CFD-BB19-B8A074683ECF.jpeg

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is indoor only and she is the only cat. I don't treat for fleas, ticks or heartworm and so far she's never had them. I do get her tested yearly for worms, but luckily so far so good, no worms. I would treat for worms if she had them. My vet thinks I should prevent worms since I live on a farm and there are outdoor animals that I'm sure have an impact on what we track in. However, in five years she has never had anything and I am hesitant to just give her medication to prevent something that is treatable if she did get it. I might feel differently if she actually ever did have worms. I prefer to treat less rather than more, however I do treat what she has and I vax against the bad guys.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for telling me it is mosquitoes not fleas that spread heart worms! Luckily mosquitoes are really rare here. So maybe I will get him tested just in case?

Oh I’m aware that there were more fleas. Since he gets a monthly flea treatment he is flea free. He picked it up from my mom’s cats. I’m vacuuming daily and washing everything, just in case! If my place ever got infested, I would fog my apartment!

He goes outside in his harness and visits Nana’s house on the weekend. Mainly to hang out/wrestle with his brother/bff. Yes they are really littermates!
View attachment 392271

View attachment 392273
Please deworm and get a flea treatment at least twice a year... My cats are strictly indoor and even though their litter boxes are clean they still manage to have fleas :/ the problem with fleas is that once they eat one by grooming tapeworms begins to grow in their stomachs.
Last week my cat had a seizure because of tapeworms being an indoor cat...the lesson is learned for me and I will check my cat’s poop every week and get the right treatment for them even though they don’t go out