Should I Take Off The E-collar

Naomilovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey fellow cat lovers !

Recently i got my cat Khaleesi spayed (its day 5).
She was pretty good with keeping on the e-collar but she is now starting to fuss a bit and seems to terribly want to groom herself.
I have checked her incision and it looks about healed but i want to make sure.
She's also starting to smell from the lack of grooming :cringe: i know the recommended time is 7 days, but i dont think she can take another hour :nono: Please help ! Any comments are always appreciated :hearthrob:
IMG-9317.jpg
IMG-9316.jpg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could give her some reprieve from the collar when you are watching her. But if she starts to mess with the incision, put it back on. And keep it on her when you are not home, at night and when you can't keep an eye on her. If there are any stitches left, you don't want her licking and pulling at them. Same with if there is still any scabbing. An irritated or infected area would mean even longer in the cone than just a few more days.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could check with your vet for sure -- send the photo in an email to them! If it were me, I'd take the collar off and let her give herself a good bath in a sunbeam... and give her an award for going that long with a collar on!
:wow:🥰

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd also suggest taking it off while you can supervise her. If she starts chewing or pulling at stitches then put it back on right away, but if she just grooms herself normally then I would imagine both of you would enjoy the break.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naomilovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could give her some reprieve from the collar when you are watching her. But if she starts to mess with the incision, put it back on. And keep it on her when you are not home, at night and when you can't keep an eye on her. If there are any stitches left, you don't want her licking and pulling at them. Same with if there is still any scabbing. An irritated or infected area would mean even longer in the cone than just a few more days.
Thank you so much ! I will try this for sure 🙂

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just tolerate it for a few more days until all the stitches are removed and wound dried. I know it’s heartbreaking to see your kitty like that but it’s better than her causing unnecessary damage.

Some cats are smart enough to leave stitches alone. Mine would rip them off. She has worn the collar for up to 5-6 weeks due to her abscesses on her butt.

If your cat is beginning to smell you can wipe her down with a damp cloth and wipe around the collar too to keep it clean. She’ll appreciate the extra attention :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, myself, would take it off. I have had countless cats spayed and have never used an E-collar. Looking at the incision, it looks good and there are no stitches, the inciosion was glued, so no worries about stitches. I think E-collars give more stress then they are worth, and stress delays healing. Take the photo to your vet if you are worried and they can advise you.