Should I Stop Him Hiding In Kitchen Cabinets?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, it's me again... I've written a few different threads this week:

We just moved to a new house, we've been here about 2 weeks now. We're buying a lot of new furniture and stuff so the environment unfortunately hasn't been able to stay exactly the same....

Gannicus is jumping into and hiding in every single cabinet in the kitchen. I just heard a glass knock over from inside a cabinet. At first, we were using sssscat because I knew this would be a problem from the start as they have been very bad about having fun in the kitchen. Spartacus will not step foot into the kitchen now, which is great. But Gannicus, despite the sssscat keeps going inside and now he knows it's just a noise and a spray and won't hurt him so he walks right past it.

I am noticing that after play-time energy goes down in the morning, Gannicus starts doing this behavior of "finding a spot" at first it was a bathroom cabinet which I was fine with as it wasn't hazardous... but now it's the kitchen and it stresses me out as I hear it all morning (i work from home). Then, I know I stress him out by going in there and trying to get him out of the cabinets. I've noticed he is scared of the trucks and cars driving on the street. He looked so frightened with the garabage truck came by this morning and yesterday was scared of a big van.

It's weird because we used to live in Philadelphia, with a lot of trucks and cars. This street is actually very quiet, but maybe it's different as we are in a house and not an apartment? And we did just spend 4 months at my mom's in the countryside during the transition period. He is young, 1.5 yrs old and has had a lot of change so far, poor baby.

Ok: do I let him hide in the kitchen or try and keep him out of it? Should i Just child-lock all the cabinets?(i did this in our last place).... but it's soooo annoying having to do that.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No I wouldn't let him hide in the cabinets. He could break something and hurt himself. Maybe magnetic latches would keep him out and not as annoying as safety locks. If you still have some moving boxes leave a few on their sides for him with a blanket over the opening. It might not be the volume of the noise just different than what he's familiar with. Even though he's had many changes he's young enough that hopefully he'll adjust quickly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Hellenww Hellenww , I would child-proof the cabinets (sorry), or use the magnetic latches. And, as she said, make sure you set up a couple of boxes he can hide in instead. Maybe one in the kitchen to start off with as well as one or two more in the bathroom and in a more quiet place in the house. Use towels, etc. with his scent on them to place in the boxes. I realize that cats never want to have someone choose for them where to hide, but it is worth a shot!

It might be over time that he will stop on his own, after he is more comfortable in the new house. 2 weeks is a pretty short time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No you don’t want a cat in the cupboards but you do need to help him find an appropriate hiding space since he obviously feels he needs one. Throw a blanket over a kitchen chair, leaving an opening on one side, set up a large box with a small opening, set up a cozy bed in a closet and crack the door a tiny bit or any other small enclosed space he might access. My girl likes to sleep in hideaways so I have three or four spots for her to choose from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for your replys. Looks like I am going to have to find a child-proofing method. I'm afraid the magnet locks will still be able to be opened by him. But I will come up with a method, for sure.

I did try to make him a few hiding spots already, because I was thinking the same. I even have a kitchen chair near the kitchen with a blanket as I type this. He used it for "a moment" and then stopped. He's got a spot in a closet, that he was using the first few days... but I'll put a towel in the bathroom cabinet that was safe too and I'll make some more with the boxes. Hopefully, he'll have to use those after learning he won't be able to continue cabinet entering.

Ugh, I've got 18 cabinets. It's not a big kitchen, but the doors don't face eachother so i'll have to use a different lock for each cabinet, unless I can find a non-drilling interior type of lock. I was also thinkin, would velcro work? I have super strong velcro I could try and velcro shut the cabinets.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why not try Velcro on one or two (especially his favorite ones) and see if that stops him from getting into those? If it does, you can do the same to the rest. Although, if he can get a cabinet open with a magnetic lock, I am willing to bet he will be able to do so with the Velcro. But, it certainly can't hurt to try.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, i was thinking the magnets might not be very strong. And oh my, I went a bit crazy just now and velcroed all of the cabinets and it is working! he cannot get inside them! yay! And I put some more hiding places with catnip and treats in them throughout the house.

The problem is though: now he is on the tip top of the cabinets! this is so scary to me! (like in the first picture) How do I stop him from going up there? Will he get hurt?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He probably won't get hurt. And, I don't know what you could put up there to try and stop him that might not make it more likely for him to get hurt. Have you considered buying a cat tree? Perhaps set it by a window - that might entice him to use it instead.

Here is a link to a previous post on this site about your very problem. I didn't read it all, but tbh, I wasn't too impressed with the ideas that I did read. But, maybe it would give you some thoughts about other possible solutions?

jumping on kitchen counter, top of fridge, above cabinets...augh!

And, here is yet another one!!

Cat Jumping On Top Of The Cabinets!

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered buying a cat tree? !
Thanks! I will read those! And yes, I have a cat tree by a window.. but not near the kitchen, they love it so much! But it's old for them now.... so I think during the day he is interested in the new stuff? I might need to get another one... if my husband doesn't tell me i'm going to cat-lady-crazy

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's everywhere, he's everywhere!!!! Lol! Get a new cat tree, and if you don't use that back door much, put it right there! (at least for now)!!!

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, I'll see what I can do ;) he's finally sleeping... under the sofa, but at least that's safe

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No you don’t want a cat in the cupboards but you do need to help him find an appropriate hiding space since he obviously feels he needs one. Throw a blanket over a kitchen chair, leaving an opening on one side, set up a large box with a small opening, set up a cozy bed in a closet and crack the door a tiny bit or any other small enclosed space he might access. My girl likes to sleep in hideaways so I have three or four spots for her to choose from.
A box works so well for cats. What is it with them and boxes?
Baby Girl will try to cram her chubby little butt into a ring box, ooze over the sides, then sit there and look at me...."I'm comfortable. You comfortable? Good, we're all comfortable" but you can tell she's really thinking "this is so uncomfortable. This idea was terrible...but I'll sit here for a few minutes so no one is onto my bad idea and won't call me a fool."

For a box, I'd place it in a quiet, out of the way place (or, near the kitchen cabinets!) on it's side. Put a blanket or two inside, and drape on over it, and face the opening TOWARDS a wall with 6-8 inches or so of clearance for him to be able to stealthily sneak around and into it. He'll have four walls "protecting" him instead of 3. Most cats think this is comfort, defined.
If he absolutely won't take no for an answer, if you have a spare lower cabinet you can "give" him (and don't mind weird questions from visitors), you could always meet him halfway and child-proof the others and let him have "his" cabinet.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! This morning, I have found Gannicus sleeping on the sofa on his cat bed instead of climbing around the kitchen! hooray! He has a number of boxes and hiding places all over and hasn't used them yet haha, but I am so happy to have seen him snuggled in his cat bed =) thank you everyone for your help!