Should I still keep this cat if I can't alleviate her stress?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A year ago I started a thread „Behaviour Problem or Something Else?” It centred on my new foster, a cross-eyed female stray called Meghan. External influences (my mother’s death, serious injuries to another of my cats after being hit by a car, my own hospitalisation and recuperation) meant that a year has passed and Meghan is still with me and suffering from stress. I intend making a concentrated effort to reduce sources of her stress and, if things don’t improve, I’ll perhaps have to try to get her adopted as an only-cat in a household where no-one cares about scratched furniture!
The Cat
Meghan: small female, estimated to be 6 years old
Heart problem: septum defect (hole in the chamber wall)
Cross eyed – practically blind in her right eye (an old injury, infection or genetic)
She is nervous, never in the same place for long, and suffers from alopecia (her belly, inside of her back thighs and backs of her front legs are bare, she has bitten or scratched a hole on her left thigh and on each ear.)
She loves people, particularly strangers.

Possible Stress Factors:
The Other Cats
I would not classify my three other cats as aggressive.​
Emily: acts like a battering ram, and runs at all of the cats, particularly if she thinks they’ve got more food than she has. Meghan reacts by springing out of the way, turns around and tries to jump on her attacker. Emily hisses but no damage is done.​
Katy: used to play quite roughly with Meghan but since her accident, she keeps her distance. Meghan sometimes jumps on Katy, when she is lying on my bed. Katy screams and runs to hide behind the door, till Meghan takes herself away.​
Mogi, won’t attack anybody. When she’s attacked and feeling brave she will raise a paw, but normally she will simply creep away.​

Cat Space Available
Since Katy’s accident, all cats are kept indoors. They seem to have accepted the fact. I have a large living/dining room with 3 sofas, 3 easy chairs, 2 cat trees, and numerous cat beds. There are 2 bedrooms which they can use, a hallway, stairway and cellar. They are usually all in one room – the room where I am, though Katy still spends a lot of time in my bedroom, where she spent 8 weeks being treated and recuperating.​

Litter Boxes
Plenty of those - only Meghan tries to prevent the others from getting to or from them! No litter problems.​

People
There are 2 of us. Though my partner likes cats and used to be great friends with previous cats, he now does nothing to make the cats like him and gets annoyed when they ignore him. Funnily enough, when he leaves his chair for a few minutes, there is always one of the cats sitting there when he returns.​
My daughter and family live upstairs. Meghan loves to sneak up there, though she never stays long. My daughter, the 2 grandsons (almost grownup) and my step-granddaughter think this is fine, as Meghan is such a friendly cat, but my son-in-law is not so happy.​

Perhaps, I’m the problem. Even when I was working I had time to sit! But now I am always on the go. I have been so involved with Katy’s intensive care (and still am highly protective of her) that I may be neglecting Meghan. But, Corona has kept me at home, so now I am trying to help her.
Another problem I haven't quite solved, she scratches the furniture. It happens whenever I sit down to eat! I've completely covered the sofas with extra large throws (they look like dust sheets). She still tries to get under the sheets to do her damage. But the damage is done and I can live with that!

My Plan:
  • In spite of pressure, I am not taking in any more foster cats or kittens (I have an empty room in the cellar, but I haven't got the time or the patience right now)
  • I have contacted the woman who was feeding Meghan while she lived on the streets until I had room to take her.
    She has given me a bit more background information and has made a few suggestions about what sort of place she should go to, if and when she goes. We will keep in contact. She said, Meghan always had bare patches but she thought it was a flea-bite allergy.
  • I have started playing with Meghan (or trying to) every morning. Meghan plays very aggressively. Emily reacts accordingly. But, we keep ourselves occupied for a good 30 minutes, even if most of the time we are only watching! Mogi doesn’t participate at all.
In the past 18 months I have made many visits to 3 different vets (for eye-tests, ultrasound and ECG) but all said I should give her up because of alopecia. (Perhaps they were only trying to help me)
And now I’m asking you!
What else can I do?
Should I keep Meghan, even if things don’t improve and she remains so stressed?
Could stress be due to brain-damage and nothing to do with external influences?
All members of my family say, keep her! But is that fair?

Thank you for reading!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I have quite a few thoughts, not sure of course but worth considering.
She may be dealing with the insecurities of losing part of her eyesight. That on top of likely having a "top queen" attitude, and having 3 other females too, which are mostly dominant as you know, so that must be a stressor.
I am sure it hasn't helped that you've had a rough year and with her being fairly new when this all started happening, she more or less may have been floundering on her own, for lack of better words.
Lucky she isn't pulling the old litter box avoidance trick with you! Ugh, not much in the way of patience there myself....
The fact that she tries to prevent others from using the boxes tells me she found a small thing she can rule. She also goes after Katy now for a reason, bottom line is she is attempting to climb that ladder to the throne but it's not an easy one and she is not confident that she will succeed.
Perhaps the bald patches she used to have were in fact flea dermatitis. One way is if the fur on her back right above her tail had thinned fur. It can always be a food sensitivity as well.
In a former post some time ago I was talking about what I did for the scratcher in my home, and shows a pic I took of my furniture, looking new and nearly impossible to notice that I had clear contact paper on the ends, sticky side out, broke that habit fast!
Be sure there are plenty of spots where they can all stretch their claws well.
Even a wooden post is excellent.
I would consider creating more areas up high for them. There's always a real need for all cats to have plenty of space where they can retreat to with no chance of getting messed with. This single thing can greatly improve how they all get along.

As far as whether or not to keep her, you may want to consider posting her pic and bio, but really screen the potential adopter. She should be best with no younger/rowdy kids, chaos, other female cats, no dogs.
Who knows, if that just right person comes along, that's when it would be a good time to consider letting her go or feeling you just can't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have quite a few thoughts, not sure of course but worth considering.
She may be dealing with the insecurities of losing part of her eyesight. That on top of likely having a "top queen" attitude, and having 3 other females too, which are mostly dominant as you know, so that must be a stressor.
I am sure it hasn't helped that you've had a rough year and with her being fairly new when this all started happening, she more or less may have been floundering on her own, for lack of better words.
Lucky she isn't pulling the old litter box avoidance trick with you! Ugh, not much in the way of patience there myself....
The fact that she tries to prevent others from using the boxes tells me she found a small thing she can rule. She also goes after Katy now for a reason, bottom line is she is attempting to climb that ladder to the throne but it's not an easy one and she is not confident that she will succeed.
Perhaps the bald patches she used to have were in fact flea dermatitis. One way is if the fur on her back right above her tail had thinned fur. It can always be a food sensitivity as well.
In a former post some time ago I was talking about what I did for the scratcher in my home, and shows a pic I took of my furniture, looking new and nearly impossible to notice that I had clear contact paper on the ends, sticky side out, broke that habit fast!
Be sure there are plenty of spots where they can all stretch their claws well.
Even a wooden post is excellent.
I would consider creating more areas up high for them. There's always a real need for all cats to have plenty of space where they can retreat to with no chance of getting messed with. This single thing can greatly improve how they all get along.

As far as whether or not to keep her, you may want to consider posting her pic and bio, but really screen the potential adopter. She should be best with no younger/rowdy kids, chaos, other female cats, no dogs.
Who knows, if that just right person comes along, that's when it would be a good time to consider letting her go or feeling you just can't.
Thank you so much for answering in so much detail.

I am a member of a charity, dealing with strays, ferals, lost and found animals, helping the poor pay vet bills, etc. If I put Meghan on the list for adoption, we have strict rules and contracts, so I won't be acting on my own.

Regarding space and high places, one cat tree is ceiling-high. She is the only cat who uses it! Never stays up there for long and nobody disturbs her. In fact she is the only cat who climbs up high and flies through the air from one perch to the next. I've had to stop putting flowers in vases around the room, as she climbs everywhere and tries to eat them. Mogi is the only cat who uses the hide-away boxes and tents.

She uses the scratching posts (they all do) but she just loves to get my attention - when I'm eating - by attacking the furniture. I have seen your photos - may take that up, if I ever buy new stuff!

I first met Meghan at the vet, with the woman who'd been feeding her. They found no trace of fleas on her but her fur had been thinned out in places. Allergies were ruled out by the locations where the fur was missing (no overall reaction). She was given tablets (hormones) which cleared up the problem within a month but that is not a permanent solution.

You are probably right that she is trying to climb the ladder to become queen bee, but the other cats are really not that bothered. When she was living outside, she had no fear of dogs, cars, tractors. I was told that she even fell asleep in the road. I thought she was perhaps deaf, but when I did let her outside last year she could hear when I called her to come home. She was aways crossing the road in front of my house, although there are fields and plenty of mice on my side. She encouraged Katy to venture further afield and I was lucky that both of them were not hit by the car that hit Katy. They were chasing each other at the time. The accident caused Katy to be blind in one eye. This has made her far less confident. So I now have a pair of black cats with just 2 good eyes between them.

Perhaps there are other stress factors that I've not considered. I was told, she was always hungry, but since she's been with me she really isn't too bothered about food, though I have to be careful with snacks.

Anyway, I haven't given up and I'm still looking for solutions. Meghan has just had five minutes of madness running around the house as if being chased by the devil. The other cats have completely ignored her even though she was making such a noise!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done it. I've given Meghan up into a new home with no other cats (but 12 rescued hens) to a single mother with an eleven year-old daughter. 😢😿.

In the past few years Meghan has managed to create a bald stomach and the backs of her legs are hairless.
When I recently fostered 2 cats for the shelter (an emergency during the holiday period) she developed a sore over one eye and I had to hear once again from a vet that she was suffering from stress. When the foster cats left (one was a neutered tom) the sore disappeared but I no longer want to hear that I am causing one of my cats to have to lead an unhappy.life.

In spite of so many people returning the animals they'd only recently acquired during lockdown, I received a promt answer when Meghan was advertised on our website. The young mother and daughter came to visit and it was amazing how interested they were in Meghan, in spite of a the fact that a very beautiful BLH was seeking their attention.

In a short space of time Meghan showed them how affectionate she could be, how playful she is, and how she could also lick, scratch and bite. There was nothing she could do wrong - her visitors were thrilled.

So, the family upstairs are not too happy that yesterday I gave up what is, in their eyes, my only friendly cat.

I feel very guilty. At least I heard this morning that Meghan (now called Maggie) is already answering to her new name and following her new owners about like a little dog. I will take her back should she not fit into their lives. We are all meeting again next month at the vet for her annual ECG and sono. I am not sure that she will stop licking herself bald but hopefully no more bloody patches.

I hope that things go well and that I won't always feel that I've failed this poor little cat! 🙏

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she found her forever home and things are working out for everyone involved. So happy for her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is absolutely no way that you failed Meghan. Finding a loving home for her is so wonderful, despite the sadness at her leaving. You have offered to take her back if this does not work out, so there is even a safety net just in case.