Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for your kind thoughts @NobliBluEWolf

Sadly George never did come home again. It's almost 4 years since he went missing. He's been gone now far longer than he was ever with me, but I still think about him every day.

I hope your cat comes home again. Some of my other cats went missing and did come home, the longest any of them were ever gone was 6 weeks. Was Beauty an indoor only cat or did she go out sometimes?

Keep looking, calling the shelters, putting up Lost Cat pictures. There is still a chance that you'll find her again.

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat missing as long as 6 months. Do not know where he was. I found another years ago living with an elderly lady I couldn't find him for over a month and then one day she was in her garden with him. I shouted his name and he came running. She told me that isn't his name. I didn't have the heart to take him from her but told her he had gone missing on us. After that she would let him out and he would come back home - stay a few days and then cry to go out. I let him out and watched him run right back to her door and start scratching. Needless to say he was one lucky cat with two owners.

I have had many cats over my life and sadly some did not return if they got out butI keep the faith because one did after 6 months.  Good luck and I am sorry you lost your kitty I know how hopeless and out of control it can make you feel. 

I am keeping positive thoughts for you.

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read your entire post about George and I am so very sorry. I have one question for you: How did you handle your pain? My cat Shadow has been missing for 7 weeks and my pain is unbearable. [emoji]128148[/emoji]

fkhq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a cat go missing for 2 weeks and my heart hurt. But what helped get me though it was positive thoughts. I kept telling myself don't worry he probably found a nice family that took him in and he is safe, warm and loved. Having a pawsitive cattitude really  helped. In the mean time I did put a plastic tote box with no lid on it, on the front porch with a towel in it. Low an behold we came home one day and he was in the box.  When we got out of the car my husband was getting something out of the trunk of the car as I walked up to the porch. When I got on the porch there he sat in the box looking at me. I dropped what I had and lifted him out of the box and yelled at my hubby that he had come home. 

So have faith and remain positive. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I just read your entire post about George and I am so very sorry. I have one question for you: How did you handle your pain? My cat Shadow has been missing for 7 weeks and my pain is unbearable. [emoji]128148[/emoji]
7 weeks isn't that long. Some of my girls were gone for over 6 weeks. One found her own way back, one was found by a farmer who saw my Lost Cat posters. Keep looking and don't give up.

I really don't know what to tell you about the pain. It's awful and I still miss George. I don't think that feeling ever goes away.

pegalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your MIA kitty. I had one that went MIA and I put food outside for her and suddenly one day I found she had been coming to eat. When I opened the door she ran, but when I called to her she stopped and came back. So don't give up, but do put food out maybe yours will eat at your table and one day you will see them and bring them back in. I had another cat that left. I found him a couple of weeks later at our mailbox. We had just moved about a month earlier to this place. I don't know why I didn't keep food out for them then, but I didn't. After I found him at the mailbox I brought him home and later he wandered off again. I never saw him again. I hope that you have the good fortune to have yours return to you.

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your MIA kitty. I had one that went MIA and I put food outside for her and suddenly one day I found she had been coming to eat. When I opened the door she ran, but when I called to her she stopped and came back. So don't give up, but do put food out maybe yours will eat at your table and one day you will see them and bring them back in. I had another cat that left. I found him a couple of weeks later at our mailbox. We had just moved about a month earlier to this place. I don't know why I didn't keep food out for them then, but I didn't. After I found him at the mailbox I brought him home and later he wandered off again. I never saw him again. I hope that you have the good fortune to have yours return to you.
Thank you. It's now over 2 months and we still can't find Shadow. My heart aches, I miss him so much.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you. It's now over 2 months and we still can't find Shadow. My heart aches, I miss him so much.
What have you done so far to find him? Are you still putting up Lost Cat Posters? The more people that know he is missing the better. Have you thought of starting a Facebook Page for Shadow and asking everyone to share it?

I'm sorry for what you are going through, it really is the worst thing.

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

What have you done so far to find him? Are you still putting up Lost Cat Posters? The more people that know he is missing the better. Have you thought of starting a Facebook Page for Shadow and asking everyone to share it?

I'm sorry for what you are going through, it really is the worst thing.

Norachan, I've done everything I think I can.  I've gone door to door handing out flyers; hung up posters; spoke with neighbors; physical searches of nearby properties; called police, animal control and shelters; ordered phone alerts for a 5 mile radius; posted online; set up wildlife cameras at feeding stations and residential homes.  I've had calls in response to flyers and posters but none have been determined to be Shadow.  Recently, someone sent me a photo of a cat over a mile away who resembles Shadow.  It really could be him, I just can't tell for sure because the photo is grainy.  More posters and flyers.  We still can't find him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@spycat29  My Sophie went missing last February. It's the worst time of year for a cat to be out. It got down to -20C some nights and we had blizzards, ice storms and loads of snow. I spent hours looking for her, went out pushing fliers into every letter box within a mile radius of here.

After a month I started to think she must have died.

Then I got a call from a lady who feeds feral cats in her back yard. Sophie had made her way to this lady's house, somehow she'd been able to find someone to feed her. She'd been there for about a coupe of weeks but had only just let the lady get close enough to read my phone number on her collar.

Even if she had walked in a straight line it was still almost 3 miles from my house to the place Sophie was found. Somehow she'd managed to survive that awful weather and make her way down there.

Cats are very resilient. I think it's entirely possible that Shadow could have walked over a mile from home. You should go over and check it out, maybe ask if you can leave your trail camera and some food around the area he was seen.

I don't know why they suddenly take off. Maybe something scares them and they run and then they get disorientated and can't find their way back. He could still be out there somewhere.

What's your neighborhood like? Rural or urban? Does you city have any TNR colony caretakers? Cats have a knack of finding out where other cats get fed. If there are people taking care of ferals nearby Shadow could have joined up with them.

Good luck, sending you finding vibes.

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the positive vibes, Norachan. I can't believe Sophie traveled 3 miles! I thought one mile was unlikely but that's where I think Shadow is now. After receiving a pic of a cat that looks like Shadow, O went over to inquire. I didd find two feeding stations near where Shadow was seen and set up wildlife cameras at each. I've been monitoring for only a week and so far Shadow has not shown up on camera but I will continue and hopefully see him. The woman who sent me the photo said that she's seen him hanging under the bushes near the town library. I'm now stalking that area too. The weather here has been very cold until recently. I'm hoping that Shadow will emerge as it gets warmer. My posters are everywhere and a lot of people are looking. I hope I find him!

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, the cat seen near the library was not my Shadow. We are back to square one with no sightings so far. On 3/25, it will be three months since I've seen him. I'm heartbroken.

fkhq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spycat don't loose hope. Now that the Spring is almost here people will be outside more and hopefully spot your cat. Does your local community/city have a lost pet page on facebook? We have one and it is a great tool for spreading the word about lost pets.  Its also a great place for those who find lost pets to look and see if someone has lost this pet. 

Keep your chin up kiddo. 

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, FKHQ. We do have local FB groups and I continue to post in all of them. Hoping someone sees him soon.

spycat29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been almost eight months since Shadow has been home. I miss him, I think about him and cry for him every day. I feel like I have failed him. None of my efforts to find him were successful. In eight months, not one confirmed sighting. I am devastated.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S spycat29 , :alright: :hugs::hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

I'm sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I very much hope your boy finds his way home somehow. I do know how much this hurts, having been there myself. Don't give up hope; cats have been known to find their way home years later.

Margret

sugarspacebunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been almost eight months since Shadow has been home. I miss him, I think about him and cry for him every day. I feel like I have failed him. None of my efforts to find him were successful. In eight months, not one confirmed sighting. I am devastated.
I just signed up to this site and read this thread. I'm sorry you haven't found your cat yet :( My 3yr old tabby has been missing for 2 weeks now. Others' stories still give a glimmer of hope though. Hope Shadow turns up soon!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry S spycat29 What do you feel about the possibility of Shadow coming home again? Are you still looking for him actively?

I know you're still hoping to see him again, but I think we reach a point when we start to feel it's unlikely that our lost ones will ever come home.

It took me a year to accept I would never see George again. I tried to prevent myself from grieving for him, because I didn't want to make the fact that he was gone too real. I think that's part of the reason why his being gone still hurts so much now.

Would it help you to make a Crossing The Bridge thread for Shadow? I didn't ever make one for George, maybe I should have done.

I don't mean to suggest that Shadow won't ever come home, but maybe it will help you if you can create a thread in his memory.

You're in my thoughts. I'm very sorry for what you are going through.

:hugs:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise