Should I Rename Our New Cat?

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fiancé and I are moving house tomorrow. We have reserved a beautiful little girl cat at our local RSPCA centre to pick up and bring home on Sunday. Her name is Alaska. She is completely white. I just wondered if anyone had any imaginative names for a white cat. If she responds to Alaska we may as well keep it, but would like some ideas all the same.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
The SPCA in our area named cats after nuts! As in "Brazil", "Chestnut", etc. :rolleyes2: Awful names. We renamed all three of ours immediately. They were only three months old, and didn't mind a bit being renamed.

Let us know what name you decide, and good for you for bringing a rescue kitty into your new home. :clap:

Indy's Dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally i don't like pets to have human names. Hidey is kind of an exception. Even though it is pronounced like a human name it is spelled differently. It comes from the fact that when I first got her she spent most of her time hiding from me. Indy, a previous cat, is short for Independence Day because we met on the fourth of July.

This brings me to my suggestion for a name: Allie, short for Alaska and much cuter.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I renamed my white cat. First off I hated the name Whiney. And also he didn't respond to it. And also also having a "Luna and Artemis" combo has always been a dream of mine.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats I have adopted, I have always kept the names they were given by the shelter, never renamed.
I think Alaska is kind of cool, but maybe you should see what kind of vibe you get from and see if a name comes to you spontaneously.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean I'm sure she was just named by the shelter, so i doubt she "knows" Alaska is her name. I like it, but if you don't change it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry its taken so long to reply. Alaska has been with us 8 months now and we have both fallen madly in love with her. She is a lot more affectionate than the shelter made out, although she does not want constant cuddles she does like to be around people and will often sit on the bed or sofa with us and loves to play-fight with my fiance. We decided to stick with the name Alaska for a variety or reasons. It just seems to suit her, i often abbreviate it to Laska which i find out is actually Polish for love, we also sometimes call her Alliecat. She has settled in really well and is spoilt rotten, everytime we go to B&M we come home with new toy and we probably give her more treats than we should but having a tough start in life we think she deserves it.

Tried to add a photo but for some reason it wouldn't load.

Last edited:

Animagus

A cat is a lion in a jungle of small bushes
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry its taken so long to reply. Alaska has been with us 8 months now and we have both fallen madly in love with her. She is a lot more affectionate than the shelter made out, although she does not want constant cuddles she does like to be around people and will often sit on the bed or sofa with us and loves to play-fight with my fiance. We decided to stick with the name Alaska for a variety or reasons. It just seems to suit her, i often abbreviate it to Laska which i find out is actually Polish for love, we also sometimes call her Alliecat. She has settled in really well and is spoilt rotten, everytime we go to B&M we come home with new toy and we probably give her more treats than we should but having a tough start in life we think she deserves it.

Tried to add a photo but for some reason it wouldn't load.
Alaska is a cool name!! I also like Laska :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always thought that if I got a fluffy white cat, I would name him or her Cotton. Alaska's great, though :thumbsup:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the name Alaska. We've always kept the shelter names for our cats, but some of the names they give them I might want to change. I'm not sure it matters, because if you adopt a rescue they might have had another name prior to what was given them by the rescue.