Should I Relocate With 8 Month Old Male Cat To A New Home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot KFlowers...glad to know about your cat adventures and moving them....now how many cats you have?...I never wanted to leave him..even i had thought for the worse to happen but wanted him to come with me.....Mishtu never liked carrier...and the best way then I thought was to wrap him in light blanket and hug him close to my chest to carry him..actually he always keep on hugging me day and night...climbing up to my legs and arms and then sitting on my chest...so that was easy way to take him to the new place ...and in car he was safe..with all windows shut...only we had mild AC on to keep air circulation...and all the 15 kms i kept on talking with him...as how nice he was..and he missed his mom...he loves treats and so on...As you said one of earlier cats she love to sit in carriers and specially I put that carrier inside my bike's basket and as I pedalled the cycle she was quiet just looking around at things from the net of the carrier..she was also a sweet kitty...very beautiful...but was killed by dogs...the cat on my profile picture is Murli..one of my another best friends I ever had.....she was so intelligent and also very sombre...she was both inside outside cat which I lost....her story appeared in Australian times because she was unique cat always stealing things :-) and loved by all ..i had cried a lot when she was killed by my neighbours dog...she had left behind a three month kitten...henry ....who was a sick child...he also died early....you know God sends me cats all the time wherever I go..and then i adopt ..Mishtu's mom a feral used to come for food to my house and I came to know she was preganant..She gave birth to Mishtu somewhere else and brought him to my home when he was a 21 days or so...very tiny fellow with severe loose motions...and she just placed him near my bed and vanished away...I wanted to spay her to release her from more trouble of pregnancies..but she never came back again...God knows why...then I picked up this fellow and started giving him probiotic yogurt mixed with mashed boiled rice to cure his upset stomach..soon he was all well ready to eat his kitten food... since then he just doesnt leave me alone...Thanks a lot again Klowers

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had seven at the time of the move I told you about.

I'm sorry for your losses, I know the pain. Australia is much more dangerous for cats (and most other living beings) than where I live. I've lost two to dogs, but I can not hold the dog's nature against them any more than I can hold the cat's nature against him. My friends have lost them to cars. Some drivers do try to run over cats, but with others it is an accident. Cats are small, fast darting out of the undergrowth, and hard to see.

Cats are safest inside houses. I'm glad kit has you to look after him.

No matter how you arrange the car and what you wrap him in, he will be safer in a carrier. If you are in the passenger seat holding him and there is an accident the air bag will deploy and mash him into your chest, killing him and damaging you. If he is thrown from the car he will hide and be difficult to find. If there is an accident and he is in the carrier and the carrier is in the car or thrown from it, there is a good chance the people who come will find the carrier.

Some carriers are safer than others, but any carrier is safer than none.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, carriers are the safest way to transport cats. Especially if you are able to strap in with a seat belt or at least put it on the floor behind a seat a bit wedged in. A good way to get cats used to carriers is to leave them out and open with some soft inviting bedding inside in your home. Then he may chose to use it as a bed from time to time. Also you can spray the inside with a cat calming spray. Most cats will feel safer in the confines of a carrier than on our laps on a journey even if they cry for a bit to start with. Lets hope you don't need to take him anywhere again for a while. Although, another thing to help him be more comfortable in carriers on car journeys is to take him on regular short journeys in the carrier, only 5 10, 15 mins or so gradually building up the time and rewarding with his favourite treat after.