Should I proceed with a second cat adoption?

Shisuka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I just adopted my first cat yesterday. She is a 2 year old female and had kittens one of two months ago.
I initially went to the shelter meaning to adopt a really sweet black kitten (2 months, male) but came out with another cat. During my time at the shelter I was really indecisive because I wanted both and both were so different. One was an adult and the other a kitten that I had been looking to adopt. Then, the shelter told us that they would be a perfect match if adopted together. I ended up taking Shiva (the adult) and said I would think about taking the kitten. So, I arrived home and did a lot of research. I read that two cats are better than one because they keep each other entertained and so on. I then talked to my mom and we agreed to go pick the kitten up. We called the shelter and agreed on a date but now I'm having second thoughts. Please note that I'm a really anxious person, I don't want to do anything wrong. I learned that the hard way since some time ago I had to return a dog to the shelter...
Any advice would be appreciated

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a typo there so I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like the nursing is done and the kittens are gone. Not sure how long ago. If she isn't spayed, and the kittens were only recently separated from her, and her hormones are still going, I suppose she might insta-accept the kitten. I'm not knowledgeable about that, so I'm going to ignore it! If you provide the timing, someone else will fill in that knowledge!

Assuming the mom hormones are no longer an issue, two year olds are not quite as adaptable as kittens, so the more challenges you add, the harder it gets. So let her get used to you and the house first! Also, if you are going to spay her (and you should) you should do that, and let her recover, before the kitten as well. So even if the mom hormones are gone, if you stagger it, there is a very good chance she will befriend the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shisuka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry! I didn't even notice the typo. She is already spayed and her kittens were all adopted

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

My advice would be go for it! Two cats are very often happier than one alone, and taking two cats together can be a really good plan. You say the shelter thinks these two would be a good match. I'd definitely be guided by them - they know the cat and kitten in question best at this point, after all.

You'd want to have them separate at first and introduce them gradually (assuming they don't already know each other), but the process may well go smoothly as cats often accept kittens more readily than older cats.

The following articles explain how to help cats adjust to a new home, and how to introduce cats to each other:-
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Shisuka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Columbine Columbine points out, if you have the space, there is no reason you can't keep them in separate safe rooms while they get used to the house and you before an introduction. Since the cat is coming from the shelter, the scent of a single kitten somewhere in the home shouldn't be a factor in that initial settling in. I dunno, I just prefer the wait and see approach because cats can be very different out of the shelter and you don't know how this 2 year old will do in your home. It might impact things.

The 2 year old and the kitten are not already bonded or they are? If they are already bonded from the shelter, if they were in the same cage, then I'd change my recommendation.

Shisuka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they don't have a bond. Kittens younger than 5 months are kept in foster families. I have the same opinion. I think I'll consider adopting another cat once I understand more about her personality and so on. Thank you 😊

Re Almanace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I just adopted my first cat yesterday. She is a 2 year old female and had kittens one of two months ago.
I initially went to the shelter meaning to adopt a really sweet black kitten (2 months, male) but came out with another cat. During my time at the shelter I was really indecisive because I wanted both and both were so different. One was an adult and the other a kitten that I had been looking to adopt. Then, the shelter told us that they would be a perfect match if adopted together. I ended up taking Shiva (the adult) and said I would think about taking the kitten. So, I arrived home and did a lot of research. I read that two cats are better than one because they keep each other entertained and so on. I then talked to my mom and we agreed to go pick the kitten up. We called the shelter and agreed on a date but now I'm having second thoughts. Please note that I'm a really anxious person, I don't want to do anything wrong. I learned that the hard way since some time ago I had to return a dog to the shelter...
Any advice would be appreciated
If you are anxious, perhaps it would be better if you concentrated your time and attention on the one cat you adopted who expects you to be his buddy for life.
I had 3 cats at one time-- all adopted at different times -- one was a kitten-- the devil incarnate -- I loved her just as much as all the others....Two of them never got along- I had a few anxious moments but never would I think of returning any of them to the shelter-- they were my responsibilty-- my loves -- and although sometimes hard work-- it all worked out -- one live to be 14 -- the other, 16 and the big bad one (formerly a little skinny kitten) lived to be 18. LIfe is always a bumpy road -- not to worry -- bumpy can be coool. Sometimes we learn as we go along-- W\Sometimes we have to make up the rules and then may find they really WORK!!
Anxious? Make those butterflies in your stomach fly in formation and get on with your life and the loves in your life -- tey count on you -- and...you are not your anxiety.