Should I move 2 ferals?

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been stressing out over the two ferals that I have using a Rubbermaid shelter down by my woods. It's fine for the weather we've had so far in PA, but the temperature is dropping to 3 degrees this Wednesday! I have 160 ft of extension cords just to get a heated water bowl down there, I'm not sure if I could add more length and a heating pad to make it to their sleeping area.
My aunt offered to help me trap them, get them neutered and then take them to her barn about 10 miles away where she has about 10 other ferals that come and go, but she has heating pads. My question is- would that be a bad idea? What if they freak out over all of the other cats and run away? Now they are in a strange place and have NO shelter. I would feel horrible for interfering, maybe I'm messing with nature too much? Should I just keep them here? They are really wild, I can't get anywhere near them. I'd appreciate any advice!
(If they stay, I will still get them fixed)

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much experience with the cold whether but I do with feral cats. They a pretty smart and if they notice something off such as traps as new addition, they may not go to the shelter anymore. Also if they are going to a barn that is not completely secure they will find a way out even in the bad weather. Until the weather gets better I would think just working on your shelter is best. I have used a queen size heated blanket stretched out on my porch when it gets cold here in Florida and will find all three ferals I feed stretched out sleeping in it. They sell heated throws that will fit well into the Rubbermaid shelters they're about $20. I think it's enough heat to keep them comfortable but not too much, to scare them off. I may be way off and you may need to have heating pads someone who has cold weather experience can correct me. I'd
Keep things as they are for the time being.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you want to move feral cats you need to keep them crated for at least a month before they'll accept the new place as their home. Even after a month if they don't get on with the other cats that are there they might try to get home. I think I agree with @hexiesfriend  , getting them neutered and leaving them where they are might be a better idea.

If your Rubbermaid shelter is well insulated and filled with straw it will keep them warm enough. It gets down to minus 20 C here in the winter. My feral cats had a modified dog kennel lined with cardboard boxes and filled with straw. It was out of the wind and the rain and only had a small opening, so the inside stayed warm. I used to put a hot water bottle in the straw every night, two or three cats would get in there and cuddle up together to keep warm.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is wonderful that you are willing to care for these two feral cats AND get them neutered!!! The sooner the better. Your aunt sounds very wonderful too and so willing to help you trap the cats.

I would not recommend relocating these two feral cats IF you are willing to continue feeding them, sheltering them and caring for them. If you were not able to continue to be their caretaker after they are TNRd then relocating them would be the next step but they would need to be crated in a safe area for weeks until such time them know that the barn is their new territory. If all of the other cats at your aunt's barn are neutered :cross:, then they would be more willing and accepting of two new additions. Confinement is a must for success in relocating any feral cat. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: and a big HUG for helping these two kitties! :grphug:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I've decided not to move them after hearing your advice- right now they have an 18 gal inside a 35 gallon. I'm making them a bigger box and ordered a heated kitty pad so they will have room to get off of it if it gets too hot. My last decision is what to put in the box with the heated pad- I feel like straw could be flammable. I read about Mylar or wool blankets, seems like they need something besides the mat. Then they will have two boxes to choose between and maybe I can sleep at night without worrying so much???

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can line the inside of the rubbermaid with Reflectix insulation.  It is sold in rolls at Home depot or Lowes.  It is silver like foil and easy to work with.  You also could use microwave heat discs with straw. They stay warm for 4-10 hours depending on the temps.  They are a pain to heat each day, but they do work well.   I would be leery of using straw and anything electric.  They also have the self heating pads that you could put in with the straw. 

I am in Ohio and we are to get 4-6 inches of snow tonight and then temps of -5 on Wednesday with wind chills as low as -25.  I just hate it.  It was 14 at 6am this morning with wind chills of -2.  My boys were snug and warm in their shelter, but it's only going to get worse.  I just hope it is short lived.

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are so wild that I don't want to keep looking in there or they get scared and bolt. But I'm putting the electric kitty pad in a box with a hinged lid, I will just have to disturb them once in awhile to make sure it's not overheating or anything. I just hope they make it through winter and then I'll have all summer to come up with something better. Poor things! I think it's wonderful how many people are taking care of them- I try to talk to family and coworkers about it, but they think I am crazy. Thanks again! [emoji]9786[/emoji]️

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure how far your house is from the shelter, but I have a 2 piece wireless digital themometer.  I place the sensor in the shelter and the receiver is in the house.  I can tell instantly what the temperature is inside the shelter.  This gives me some piece of mind.  Just be sure to not place the sensor directly on the heat pad.  I just hang it a few inches above.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO glad you are keeping them under your care! I would not use anything material for insulation, not even wool. Straw dries out much more easily, is mold resistant too. I have always used straw even with a heating pad with the proper outlet and never worried about fire in all the years I have used them. Surely, if you are concerned, then use nothing in and around the heating pad. The cats will still love it, lay on it and it will warm the shelter.

Solar shelters are another popular one to build. They need to be placed in Southern exposure but really work very, very well. Almost TOO well. :lol2: http://www.ehow.com/how_6314110_make-solar-cat-house.html

GOOD LUCK with your two kitties!

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm almost done bothering you all!!!
ShadowsRescue, what do you use around your heating pads? I guess the wool blankets are a bad idea now that it snowed and they will be wet. I might put a little bit of straw around the pad and try to use a thermometer, it's probably a little out of range but I can try. I just hope my 200' of extension cords running this pad aren't going to be an electrical hazard. I like the thermometer idea- does the heating pad keep it noticeably warmer in there?

At least they will still have their old shelter if this one doesn't work out so well.
Thank you all SO much, you have helped me tremendously! [emoji]9786[/emoji]️

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're not bothering at all!!  Ask as many questions as you need.  We are all here to help!!!

I use two types of heat pads.  One is kind of cushy and the other is a hard plastic.  Both have thin fleece covers on them.  I cover them each with a very light baby blanket or kitchen towel.  This is only so that when they walk on it with their wet feet or moisture does get inside, I can easily change cover.  It's too hard to remove the fleece cover.  You don't want anything heavy on top of the heat pads since you want the cats to be able to feel the heat. 

I do notice that the hard plastic heat pads do help to warm up the shelter.  The more cushy one does not. 

We got about 5 inches of snow last night and the temp is about 18 right now  with no wind.  Yet the temps will drop all day and the wind will pick up.  It's to be near 0 tonight with windchills of -15.  It will be this way the rest of the week with finally better weather by Saturday.  The heated house I use kept quite warm last night.  It was set to medium and it never dropped below 50.  I will turn it up for tonight and hope for the best.

You are doing such a kind thing for these ferals. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are more than happy to support you and help in anyway possible with your feral kitties!! It IS our passion!! This is the outdoor heating pad that I use. It has the steel wrapped cord which I think is very important in case any critter decides to chew on a cord! Since I use the feral villa's - (have two) - I put the heated pad on the second level and surround it with a very, very light cushion of straw. The lower level is stuffed a bit more with straw. I don't use the fleece pad cover that comes with the heating pad. I just wipe down the hard top of the heating pad when necessary.

Let us know how things are coming along! And, thanks for caring about feral cats! :thanks:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the same hard shell heat pad as Feralvr and here is the soft sided one
I like using the baby blanket or kitchen towel over the surface.  One of my ferals is very messy.  He tracks in every leaf, pine needle and dirt he can find!  I have to shake the blanket out daily and wash the blanket at least once a week.  Yet it's easier than removing and replacing the fleece.

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I have a good update!! I put the new 50 gallon shelter out last night with the heating pad in it and today I saw the juvenile cat come out! I checked the extreme weather heating pad that I had bought and it seemed to be warm. (So many extension cords, wasn't sure if it would have enough power). Then I saw a big gray cat come out of the OLD shelter! So what started as two ferals is now four I believe. The new shelter is way bigger, so they can decide how they will share the room.
Anyway, I was sick with worry last night because it was zero degrees, but all four were alive today, I'm so happy!!!! One more rough night tomorrow and then the weather warms up.
Thank you all so much, I will sleep better tonight!!! [emoji]128049[/emoji]

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the best feeling when you first see your feral cats using their shelters! Such a relief. It seems as though there may be a few more cats around than you thought! Always the way it is. Hopefully you can get them all trapped and neutered. :cross: And, STAY WARM. This weather has been so bitterly cold and I, too, worry for all of the feral cats. But, somehow they all do survive these frigid days.

jessicacatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been stressing out over the two ferals that I have using a Rubbermaid shelter down by my woods. It's fine for the weather we've had so far in PA, but the temperature is dropping to 3 degrees this Wednesday! I have 160 ft of extension cords just to get a heated water bowl down there, I'm not sure if I could add more length and a heating pad to make it to their sleeping area.
My aunt offered to help me trap them, get them neutered and then take them to her barn about 10 miles away where she has about 10 other ferals that come and go, but she has heating pads. My question is- would that be a bad idea? What if they freak out over all of the other cats and run away? Now they are in a strange place and have NO shelter. I would feel horrible for interfering, maybe I'm messing with nature too much? Should I just keep them here? They are really wild, I can't get anywhere near them. I'd appreciate any advice!
(If they stay, I will still get them fixed)