Should I let my indoor cats go outside by themselves for a few hours a day?

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have three cats (13 years old, 3 year old and 3 months old) and the two oldest one have been indoor cats for over a year now. Before that, they were free to come and go as they wished, and the youngest one apparently was living in the street before we adopted her around a month ago, so all of them were very used to being outside.
The reason I decided the oldest two should stay inside was because they started to come back injured, and every few weeks I had to take them to the vet to seek treatment and medication. It wasn't good for their health, and it wasn't good for us financialy either. Also, three years ago my first ever cat left one night and never came back, and it really hurt me emotionaly. So everytime my cats went out, I kind of freak out until they came back.
Now, I have family and friends (none that live with us) that keep telling me that I should let them out, that I'm just harming them, not allowing them to be normal cats. I know if it were up to my cats, they would be out all day and night.
Inside they have space, safe food and water, they play and sleep and they are happy and healthy. I took then to our backyard a couple of times a day so they can be in the sun and see the sky and chase bugs. It's not a big space, but they enjoy it.
I don't know what to do. Should I allow the oldest two to go out a couple of hours in the morning? I wouldn't let the youngst one out because she isn't neutered yet. I really don't want to let them go outside, but maybe it's better for them?
I should add that I live in a city, which means a lot of people I don't know, a lot of cars, and a lot of dogs too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you have had enough issues with your cats regarding letting them outside that you wouldn't want to chance it again - regardless of what your family and friends say. Have you considered building or buying a catio? See link below to an article all about them.
All About Catios & Cat Enclosures - Catio Spaces

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally I would not let my cats out to roam free, I also live in a city and even barring all the other things that could happen car traffic alone is too dangerous for me to do that. I do however have a patio that I can transform into a catio to let my cat outside - I used chicken wire to block the openings in the patio railing, and when he wants to go out I have a folding screen that I put up to create a “ceiling” so he can’t jump over the railing.

My cat mostly enjoys just sitting outside looking at birds and bugs and sleeping in the sun, if yours are similarly lazy outdoors you could make/buy some type of enclosure for them to use in your yard. You can also make a window box.

Alternately if you think your cats will tolerate leashes you can try introducing them to a harness and take them in the yard on a leash to explore. Some cats hate wearing a harness, some don’t mind.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I wouldn't let them out alone. We occasionally let ours out--and by that I mean 2-3 times a month is all, but only if we're outside, too, and can watch them. I never leave them outside alone. They're 11 years old and usually don't stay out long, and they're treat trained, so if we're ready to come in and they're still out, we shake the treat bag and they come running.

We do have a catio so they can go get some sun and fresh air and stay safe. As K kittenmittens84 said, leashes are also a possibility.

I should say, these cats were also indoor/outdoor most of their lives. It's only been the past 2-3 years, I suppose, that we've starting turning them into indoor cats. They've adapted well to the change.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please do not let your cats out unsupervised. It is a risk to their safety and to the well-being of the ecosystem/wildlife. If you feel they need more enrichment, you can leash train them, look into catios, or do indoor enrichment - I like hiding their food, trick training, or interactive play like with wand toys or laser pointers.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is protecting them to keep them in and in many places it is now the law. A leash law exists in many places these days. I have that law where I live. When I was growing up our cats were in and out but they were not safe and we had injuries too. The world for cats has become more aware of extending life expectancy by taking better care of cats that live where risks are common and perhaps likely. You are being a great cat guardian by keeping them from further injury. There are alternatives as mentioned above. Catios give them some safe time outside and so do harnesses and walking them. They may need a little training for the harness and leash but many cats feel safe and protected walking with their human. It’s a great time for you to enjoy being out with them and bonding. I think you are great! Just so you can see, here is one of my rescue ferals after learning about a leash and harness. She loves it!
22CEF202-4A16-4781-942D-821B73178453.jpeg

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to say that your family and friends are 100% wrong. As stated in other posts, life expectancy drops significantly for outdoor cats. That doesn't mean you can't give them some outdoor-like enrichment, but as far as just letting them out to roam...no, no and no.
Leash training is one of the best ways to take your cats outdoors. I've even leash trained my kitty Echo (who has no eyes). She just enjoys rolling in the grass, listening to the birds and feeling the sunshine.
If your cats don't take to leash training, there's always bringing as much of the outdoors inside as you can. Open, screened in windows, making a cat tree out of an actual log from the woods, boxes of leaves they can jump in, etc.
There's also outdoor pens (completely enclosed including the top) that can be set up in your yard. This option is a bit more expensive and I always recommend supervising your cats the whole time they are in it.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to repeat what has already been said. It's all true!

I was in your position, 2 years ago when I took on a 4th cat who was not happy indoors. All of my cats were found outside but they had become accustomed to being indoors only. With so much pressure from other "cat-lovers" I decided to let them go outside. One refused, but 3 were enjoying life outdoors, finding mice and bringing them home, until.... the inevitable happened. I came home to find a car outside my house and 3 hysterical young women searching for the cat they'd hit. I didn't find Katy till the next morning. The only good thing about it was that she survived and is sitting behind me (now a one-eyed cat) while I write this post. I have seriously considered catios but there's no way I can make a tunnel or some sort of access to a catio from the house and transporting them to a catio further away in carriers is just not on. With these cats a harness is also out of the question unless I become immune to scratches and bites.

Don't forget, not all cats are cooperative - coming home for treats when called. For some, life outside is so interesting that once they've experienced it again they'll be off - regardless of whether you are there with them or not. There are enough questions in these forums about cats who are always fussing to get out. Apart from safety issues, I would go on as you are. Keep them inside!

Animal protection societies do not recommend harnesses for cats in this area - too many cats escape from their owner and then get themselves tied up somewhere. Many years ago our cat was "harness-trained"- but she was a cat from a breeder and not a half-wild stray.

Keep them where you can see them! Perhaps a catio will be an option for you.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do all those peoples opinions really matter all that much to you in regards to the health ,care and well being of your cats.the cats you love,care for and pay the medical bills for for every injury?"a lot of people I don't know, a lot of cars, and a lot of dogs too." to me thats 3 very good reasons to keep my cat indoor at all times not to mention all the ticks, fleas parasites they will be exposed to outside

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The last cat we adopted, (not our present guy), was an outdoor cat who desperately wanted to go outside. However, we have always kept our cats indoors and I flatly refused to let her out. Growing up in the city I knew the dangers that lurked outdoors for cats not only the ones you mentioned but people who abuse or mistreat animals. It wasn't pleasant for her at first but I was consistent and provided all types of mental and physical exercise for her. Eventually she accepted life inside our home and was perfectly content.

TCS has an Article that discusses how to bring an outdoor cat inside which may have some helpful information for you:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, I have family and friends (none that live with us) that keep telling me that I should let them out, that I'm just harming them, not allowing them to be normal cats.
There is no such thing as "should" let a cat go outside.

Our cat, Casper, was abandoned outdoors when he was about a year old and he lived outside for a year after that. A cat rescue group brought him in and he spent a few months with a foster human for rehab before we adopted him.

Casper had been living with us for a couple of months when he made a dash for the door and got outside. It was the middle of February and it was cold and snowy, outside. He made it as far as the front stoop before he stopped, looked around and came back inside by himself.

He knows it's warm and comfy, indoors, where he always has food, a warm bed, and all the catnip he wants. He doesn't even want to go outside, anymore.

Casper likes to lay by the back patio door and watch the birds and squirrels. We put out feeders with corn and bird seed to attract critters for Casper's entertainment. He'll sit there for hours at a time.

One time, during the summer, we opened the patio door for Casper and I went upstairs to do something. About an hour later, I came back down and found the sliding screen open by about two feet. I don't know how it happened. My guess is that Casper pounced at some critter, outside the screen and pushed it open.

Anyhow, I walked into the living room and saw the door wide open and I thought, "Oh, S###!" But, there was Casper, laying mere inches from freedom, watching the birds without a care in the world. I don't know how long the door was open but Casper could have gone outside and run away, any time he wanted.

It's pretty clear, to me, that Casper has decided that he likes being a house cat.

This cat sure knows which side of his bread has the butter on it! ;)

It is the human's decision whether or not to let a cat go out. If it's your cat, it's YOUR decision and nobody else's.
If anybody tries to tell you different, tell them to go fly a kite!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I saw my cat ran over by a car and died out in the street. It was a horrible death.

So I agree with the others. I would not allow the cats to be let out unsupervised if I were you. Cats can be perfectly happy inside, especially if they have a catio.

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor cats and I've just adopted another stray because treating his fighting wounds wasn't working. Also if he didn't turn up for dinner I would have a sleepless night worrying he'd been killed. We all panic when my Mom's outdoor cat doesn't show up (but she seriously does not like indoors, she's a stray and adopted us). The rest of our collective cats are also strays and all are happy to be indoors with us.

We made window Catios and window benches so they can see the outdoor world. Then built a big outdoor catio as time and budget permitted. Even a rental property can potentially have a detachable window-box catio. Or a portable aviary-catio in the backyard.

You are willing to put in the extra effort (play, litter box, etc) and that's great for the cats. We know, even if your family doesn't, the absolute joy they bring to our homes because everything we do becomes so much more fascinating to them in their indoor world and they get to play for fun instead of a life of fighting, dodging traffic or fleeing some jerk throwing stones at them!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I am reading, here, is not the question of whether the OP’s cat should go outside. She has, pretty much, decided to keep the cat in.

The question revolves around convincing other people that her decision is final.

There is no such thing as saying that a cat “should” be an indoor cat or an outdoor cat. Cats live indoors, outdoors or both. It all depends on circumstances and what the owner decides is best for the cat. If the cat lives in a place where it is relatively safe to go out, that’s okay. If it’s not a safe area then, maybe, the cat should stay in. Maybe the owner just wants to keep the cat in. These are things for the owner to consider and make their own decision about.

I certainly recommend keeping cats indoors but I can't account for every nuance of circumstances. That's the job of the cat's human to decide.

It's hard to deal with friends and family who try to tell you what they think is best after you have made your decision. They haven't considered all the circumstances like you have. They might have misguided beliefs such as saying, "Cats SHOULD be allowed outdoors." That belief is patently untrue! The real truth is that it all comes down to how well a cat is taken care of, not whether the cat goes out.

What do you say when family members try to push you into changing your decision?

You can tell them about the dangers of letting cats go out. You can explain that letting a cat go out can be more expensive because you'll have to pay more for vet bills and other things to care for an outdoor cat. You can also say that you just, plain, don't want to let your cat out.

The bottom line is: She's YOUR cat, not theirs. Therefore it's YOUR decision, not theirs. If somebody else wants to let a cat go outside, they should get THEIR OWN cat and raise it they way THEY want to.

Family members sometimes have a way of cajoling and bullying, trying to force their opinions on you. While it might be true to say that family members have a right to say things that others don't, they often forget that people have boundaries that need to be respected. Some boundaries should not be violated, even by family members.

I think that OP has the right to tell her family, "The foot is down... This is my line in the sand...," and if they don't listen after you have said all that and explained your reasoning, you can just tell them, "Go fly a kite!" ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice! I decided to keep the cats inside, and going with them to our "backyard" where I know I can stop them if they try to go away. As you all said, is safer for them, and that's the most important part.
Regarding catios, I sadly don't think I would be able to install one for them. It just wont work for the way my house is build. Our backyard is rather small, it doesn't have enough space.

You can tell them about the dangers of letting cats go out. You can explain that letting a cat go out can be more expensive because you'll have to pay more for vet bills and other things to care for an outdoor cat. You can also say that you just, plain, don't want to let your cat out.
They know all of that! Most of them had outdoor cats that disapered, died or got really sick. My sister has a cat that needs to be in a strict diet because he has urinary problems, and she stills lets him go out and eats whatever he founds. It breaks my hearth for the kitty.
While it might be true to say that family members have a right to say things that others don't, they often forget that people have boundaries that need to be respected.
EXACTLY. Thank you so much for putting my fellings into words!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EXACTLY. Thank you so much for putting my fellings into words!
Hey! If your family still gives you trouble, give them my phone number. They can call me up and I’ll tell them where they can go. It’s a sure thing I won’t tell them to go to the grocery store! ;) ;) ;)

I’d be willing to bet that there are others, here, who feel the same way. :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have three cats (13 years old, 3 year old and 3 months old) and the two oldest one have been indoor cats for over a year now. Before that, they were free to come and go as they wished, and the youngest one apparently was living in the street before we adopted her around a month ago, so all of them were very used to being outside.
The reason I decided the oldest two should stay inside was because they started to come back injured, and every few weeks I had to take them to the vet to seek treatment and medication. It wasn't good for their health, and it wasn't good for us financialy either. Also, three years ago my first ever cat left one night and never came back, and it really hurt me emotionaly. So everytime my cats went out, I kind of freak out until they came back.
Now, I have family and friends (none that live with us) that keep telling me that I should let them out, that I'm just harming them, not allowing them to be normal cats. I know if it were up to my cats, they would be out all day and night.
Inside they have space, safe food and water, they play and sleep and they are happy and healthy. I took then to our backyard a couple of times a day so they can be in the sun and see the sky and chase bugs. It's not a big space, but they enjoy it.
I don't know what to do. Should I allow the oldest two to go out a couple of hours in the morning? I wouldn't let the youngst one out because she isn't neutered yet. I really don't want to let them go outside, but maybe it's better for them?
I should add that I live in a city, which means a lot of people I don't know, a lot of cars, and a lot of dogs too.

NO you should never leave them unattended outside.

Years ago it was common practice to let your cat out in the morning and call it back inside at night. Time have changed. We have learnt that is too dangerous. Over the years I have had two of my cats hit by cars, one killed and taken by a fox and another repeatedly getting into fights and sprayed by skunks.

I do take my two cats Greg and Arnold outside but they are in a small fenced yard and I am at their side. Even then I have chased off one coyote, two foxes, numerous raccoons, and a very large aggressive cat; all threatening or about to attack my boys. And im in the city.

Build them a catio or sit with them in a fenced area where you are always near them. All it takes is a few seconds and they can be taken from you forever.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even then I have chased off one coyote, two foxes, numerous raccoons, and a very large aggressive cat; all threatening or about to attack my boys. And im in the city.
Wow, that's horrible! I also live in a city but thankfully we never have those kinds of animals over here. We do have a few ferral cats around, and that's one of the reasons my cats stay inside -they were constanly getting into fights.

Build them a catio or sit with them in a fenced area where you are always near them.
I don't have the space to build them a catio, but whenever they are outside I'm always with them, so they can't get away.

As I said above, I decided to keep them inside and go outside with them a few times a day where I know I can keep them safe. Thanks for the advice!!