Should i let my cat go out?

Lili1403

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 1,5 years old, he used to be an outdoor cat and go out whenever he wanted. I live in a countryside, far from main road so there is no traffic and generally it is a safe place for cats.

The problem is that 3 weeks ago he get in a fight with another cat and he was in a very bad condition, luckily he get cured and is ok now.

Now I am scared to let him go out again, but he cries everyday and is very unhappy, i take him on walks everyday, i bought him toys but he used to be out all days and he doesnt like staying inside. Should i just let him out even if he can get in fights with cats again? Or should i keep him inside? Please advise.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi L Lili1403 Welcome to TheCatSite. I'm sorry you are having this problem with your cat. One important consideration, which you didn't mention - is he neutered? Intact male cats can be very territorial and fight aggressively. Neutering is a minor surgery for boy cats. It takes about a month for the hormones to clear from their system, after which they are less aggressive and less of an "enemy" to other male cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! In addition to the question above about whether or not he is neutered, could you consider building/buying a catio/cat enclosure? That would enable him to be outdoors, but keep him in a confined area so that he couldn't roam and it would be harder for other cats to get to him. There are all kinds of versions of catios, along with ways to protect the lower parts so that other cats can't actually get to/touch your boy. See link below for information/ideas about catios.
All About Catios & Cat Enclosures - Catio Spaces

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. To answer your question, no I do not think you should let him outside again. Since he was already in a cat fight, and badly injured, it's not safe outside for him. Even though he wants to go out, you as his "parent" need to do what's best for his safety and keep him inside. He will for sure "disagree" with your decision, but in time he'll adjust. Many people have brought feral cats inside, and though it can take time, they even adjust to living inside.

As already mentioned, if he's not neutered, getting that done should help with some of his desire to go outside.

TCS has some articles with more info on transitioning indoor/outdoor cats to inside only. Here are the links:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know | TheCatSite

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have, over the years, adopted generations of semi ferals or ferals who "wanted to go out again." Some made a bigger fuss than others but they all adjusted. Personally, I don't think that cats who fight, or cats who encounter another cat who wants to fight, only get into one big fight in their lives. Lightning does strike twice in that case.