Should i let my cat eat yogurt?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
    My siemese eat's yogart everyday, as with me at breakfast time, she loves ot and I really think it does her good. I was wonering if it was good for their gut's like ours.
Yes, it's ok for her to eat it right along with you, as long as it isn't artificially sweetened.  And, yes, it IS good for their guts, just like ours
.  Just like many of us give our cats probiotics.  I give mine the same ones I take, only I open up the capsule and mix it into their food rather than make them swallow the pill form

Beautiful cat, BTW

jelayne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat Sammy has IBS, the Vet told me to feed him yogurt that it will help his stomach much more than anything else. He has been only eating it for a few days but so far it hasn't given him any side effects.  Plain full fat yogurt is what he is eating.

yoshiyama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our most recent addition Loki (the stray that showed up at our feral cat houses & adopted us) will chase my husband around the house when he gets the yogurt out if he is walking around eating it.  He is so bad to the point of grabbing his hand that is holding the spoon and pulling it toward him so he can see what kind it is & if its one he likes or not.  LOL.  Then again, this cat is the kitty garbage disposal as far as food goes.  He thinks he has to try everything we are eating & if he likes it he makes a pest of himself.  What cat likes Chocolate Milk????  Apparently my insane one.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Our most recent addition Loki (the stray that showed up at our feral cat houses & adopted us) will chase my husband around the house when he gets the yogurt out if he is walking around eating it.  He is so bad to the point of grabbing his hand that is holding the spoon and pulling it toward him so he can see what kind it is & if its one he likes or not.  LOL.  Then again, this cat is the kitty garbage disposal as far as food goes.  He thinks he has to try everything we are eating & if he likes it he makes a pest of himself.  What cat likes Chocolate Milk????  Apparently my insane one.
If they've been fending for themselves for a while they're usually food-obsessed at first. Hopefully he'll let your husband eat in peace after a while.

Be careful with the chocolate though, chocolate isn't good for cats or dogs.

[article="30181"]Common Foods That Are Harmful To Cats​[/article]  

tetee bianchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love plain Greek yogurt. So does my cat. She has bowel issues and it seems good for her.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats and I eat a variety of yogurts ; lactose intolerance shouldn't happen as the bacteria have eaten it. And this is different than milk proteins allergies or intolerances which one of my cats has (and one of my kids) signs of intolerance could be rash or loose foul smelling or pale stool.
Our momma cat who lived in a barn until six months will eat anything. Cats that eat bread ????, but doesn't like astro full fat plain yogurt she enjoys libertine lemon 8%fat and 2%vanilla , made with sugar.
Aspartame was developed to be ant poison and I am sceptical of artificial sweeteners anyhow. Don't let my children or cats have them.
Anyone try kefir with cats?

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I make homemade yogurt and my cats love it.  If I open a Ball jar they come running to get a small spoon of it.  I never give them more than a teaspoon and only 3-4 times a week.  So far I have not had any digestive issues with them.  I was making kefir (from the grains) a few years ago and none of them liked it..  I think it was too sour for their liking.  But my plain yogurt seems to be a hit.