Purraise
My cat has taken a liken to eating yogurt

my first thought is that is good,
my second thought maybe its bad.

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he should be fine eating yoghurt as a treat. My cats love it...I will let them lick the yoghurt container after I eat

(just don't give him too much, as with anything)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yogurt in moderation is okay for most cats but NOT the kinds with artificial sweeteners. Some artificial sweeteners are toxic to cats.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Yogurt in moderation is okay for most cats but NOT the kinds with artificial sweeteners. Some artificial sweeteners are toxic to cats.
otto, I don't see any reason a cat can't have a taste of yogurt now and then as a treat. I just wouldn't let them eat too much at a time. Mine will eat anything so I don't give them much of the prepared human foods. Some cats are dairy intolerant so that could be an issue to watch out for.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

otto, I don't see any reason a cat can't have a taste of yogurt now and then as a treat. I just wouldn't let them eat too much at a time. Mine will eat anything so I don't give them much of the prepared human foods. Some cats are dairy intolerant so that could be an issue to watch out for.
Sure, that's what I said. It sounds like you think I said something different.

My qualification is for yogurts that contain artificial sweeteners. These should NOT be given to cats.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natural Greek style yoghurt is fine for cats - low in lactose, no sweeteners. I give it to kittens who won't eat, along with natural unsweetened unsalted soft cheese (fromage frais).

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lactose is a type of sugar. Cats are all to some extent lactose intolerant, but the milk sugars are partially digested by the act of turning it into yogurt in the first place (by the bacteria), so thats why its usually not a big deal compared to say plain ol' milk... but yeah, has to be truely plain yogurt and not the sweetened stuff.

True unsweetened plain yogurt tastes like butt though IMO; sour butt to be specific (needs fruit or something added). So if the yogurt tastes good to you, its probably not good for your cats.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain unsweetened yogurt is just fine in moderation for cats and in fact can be quite healthy for them. My cats like yogurt too, but I eat the flavored yogurt most of the time and do not let them have the sweetened brands.
When I have the plain available, I will let them have about 1/2 tsp. occasionally as a treat.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of my cats ADORE yogurt and they do get a little bit in moderation. I am lactose intolerant and you would think that yogurt would be ok ... but there is something about it that has a very bad effect on me.

I found a "lactose-free" yogurt that I can tolerate so I feel pretty good about sharing it with the kitties once in a while.

I know I shouldn't give them sugar... but they seem to LOVE the strawberry one. They get a tiny dab each and then fight over who gets to lick the carton.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sure, that's what I said. It sounds like you think I said something different.

My qualification is for yogurts that contain artificial sweeteners. These should NOT be given to cats.
I don't remember. I may have misread your comment. We're on the same page anyway

dorothyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't see why not. Bobby loves it-she can hear a yogurt open three rooms away and in her sleep. She's been into it for months-no harm.

zerosoma33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadie gets to lick the yogurt container when I'm done. And yes I eat Yoplait. I have yogurt maybe a couple times a month so she gets a "treat" a couple times a month. She is a happy, healthy cat.

I don't see why a treat every once in awhile would hurt.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Natural Greek style yoghurt is fine for cats - low in lactose, no sweeteners.
Daisy gets natural Greek yogurt once in a while because she likes it alot. Penny couldn't care less about it. I buy it quite often because tastewise it is very similar to sour cream and goes great with potatoes or Mexican food.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

True unsweetened plain yogurt tastes like butt though IMO; sour butt to be specific (needs fruit or something added). So if the yogurt tastes good to you, its probably not good for your cats.
True unsweetened yogurt tastes great, but I refer to yogurt that does contain lactose and milk fat. It took me months to find it in the US, though, unfortunately. Danon makes it, yet you still have to read the ingredient label because two of their yogurts come in a really similar package and only one is made of MILK. The other one containes thickeners and other additives.

Sweeteners do not belong in my food. Milk and other fat does, but that's where I usually run into problems. (Sorry for the little OT. I just get really frustrated when I think about foods here in the US.)

I'll have to check if my cat would like some yogurt. I'm curious now.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by empirefalls

My cat has taken a liken to eating yogurt

my first thought is that is good,
my second thought maybe its bad.
I feed my cats yogurt all the time but it is PLAIN yogurt, no jams or jellies added. They even like the sour Bulgarian style yogurt as I do. Yep, yogurt for my cats, it's good for them, but real yogurt please.

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat had digestive issues for the first year of his life. Blood in the stool, pooping outside the litterbox. The vets checked him over and over and even hospitalized him (luckily I adopted him as a feral rescue from the vet and they include a year's treatments, meds, shots, vet care, and neutering in the adoption fee or I couldn't have paid for all that). They could never find what was wrong with him or help him.

He wasn't sickly otherwise and gained weight well, and I kept him on premium grain-free foods.

After a year I decided to try yogurt. It was hard to find REAL yogurt with no sweeteners or flavors, but I did. I started giving him a tablespoon a day. He quickly developed a taste for it, and within a few weeks the bloody stools FINALLY stopped. I gave him perhaps three quarts over the course of months, and he's been fine ever since.

A tablespoon might actually be a bit much if you're giving it as a treat, but I was trying to make him well (and he's a big cat).

Just wanted to toss that out there.

Oh, I let the female lick a bit too, but gave her much less. Neither of them ever had any bad effect from it.

catfan7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently been giving my 7 year old female tabby 1 tablespoon 3-4 x/week Pavel's brand low fat Russian yogurt, which contains pasteurized reduced fat milk, living yogurt cultures, vitamins A and D3. Use to be 1x/wk, but being home now i eat it more often myself. (Btw, i have tried 20 brands over the years and this not only the one really edible one, it is delicious! And not thick like Greek)

Because most people with lactose intolerance can eat yogurt like this with no trouble and it has no sugars or artificial ingredients, and she seems to have no negative symptoms, i assumed it was safe, and maybe even helpful.

What symptoms indicate yogurt is not working for the them?

Having read everyone's entries above above, I think I will cut her back to once a week, as it IS people food after all.

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my baby (cat baby), AC, had a fairly serious infection, the vet gave him some heavy duty anti-biotics for it and actually recommended that if they upset his bowels, we try giving him some plain yogurt if he'd take it. Just a little, like a teaspoonful to help replenish his inner flora. It worked rather well.

And now, Missy, my former street cat, will scavenge just about anything if you let her. Since my son gets yogurt fairly often for breakfast, that means she steals a fair bit only she steals the sweetened fruit-flavored variety. That's not by my choice though.

karmahcat2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cat yogurt too when I'm eating it but she vegs for it or other food alot and she has food and water I wud say that ya when I first fed her it loved it cus cats love dairy but I was also concerned about diareha