Should I let him hide?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zsu1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he was out and about lounging and sleeping on the sofa or such was he bothered? Did the kids pet him or try to get him to play when he was trying to rest? Maybe he just likes the quiet and peacefulness of under the bed because no one bothers him there? There’s also a possibility he’s not feeling well too, especially if he just started behaving this way recently.
Yes, that was happening. I believe that is the problem now that he thinks he can only get a good rest hiding away. I am working on my little one. She loves him so much it is hard for her to keep boundaries LOL

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would let cats hide ... - one of mine hides from the petsitter when we are not home ... she goes back to her normal cuddly self when we get back ... feeling secure and protected is so important for humans and animals ... I would even create more hiding spots - cardboard boxes are great ... get the kids/ family involved to build kitty mansion hide outs - I feel that cats always need extra time for any adjustments ... and my cats LOVE their covered spaces under the furniture and blanket covered drawers ... They still love attention too but sometimes they need a time out ...

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am working on my little one. She loves him so much it is hard for her to keep boundaries LOL
Here’s a suggestion:

Decide upon a designated hiding place for the cat. Make a rule for the kids... When the cat goes to hide, they have to leave him alone. (or even whenever the cat hides any place.)

That will create a natural boundary where the cat can say, “Enough!”

Hopefully, the cat won’t spend so much time hiding because he will have more control over situations where he feels frightened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zsu1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: in these last few days I stopped expecting Thor to do what I think "normally" cats should do and started listening to him. Honestly, things are really great now and I realized the issue was with me and not him. (I guess it always is LOL) He is actually very good at communicating what he wants … even very vocal about it. I think the hiding was the result of me wanting to transform him to what I wanted from him LOL Now that he knows that I respect his will he barely hides away. And when he does it is always near me / us. He found two wonderful hideaway places in the living room and I take all effort to keep it secret from my little one. The rest of the times he happily sleeps on my son's bunk bed or on my bed out on the open. He has taken to seek me out and ask for petting and these times are truly precious to me. I just needed to realize that he is not a lap cat and does not wish to be picked up. So instead I sit down and he head bumps me and rolls all over the ground in front of me while loudly purring. Once I stopped picking him up and expecting him to sleep on the sofa next to me like I though all cats should do we have a really great relationship and I am very happy. He loves my son because he naturally leaves him alone and so they get along really well. He's a busy teenager. Actually most nights I think he sleeps on his bed and often naps on his upper bunk. He is kind of reserved with my husband who likes to treat him like a dog and thinks he should come when called LOL And while he is not so happy with my little one who is now 6 he has a crazy amount of tolerance and patience for her. And she is definitely his play buddy from all of us. So all is well in our little world now.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so great to hear- sounds like you have a wonderful bond with your cat now! My son in our home is also the favorite of all the cats because ... he is the most quiet and undemanding ... he leaves them be and they love him the most lol ....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like things are going really well. Thanks for the update.