Should I go to a vet for procedures like this one or not?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking. She slept a lot yesterday but she feels completely fine today, playing and being as crazy energetic as usual. I've found what looks like a single tapeworm in her stool (whitish, about 3mm width, 10mm length), but I'm not sure as I've never seen one before.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops. It wanted to type 10cm length, not 10mm. :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking. She slept a lot yesterday but she feels completely fine today, playing and being as crazy energetic as usual. I've found what looks like a single tapeworm in her stool (whitish, about 3mm width, 10mm length), but I'm not sure as I've never seen one before.
Normally with tape worms you don't see the worms you see the eggs, which look like grains of rice in their poop, the worms themselves are thin, flat, and segmented. I wonder if what you are seeing are actually round worms, they are smooth, white, and kind of look like cooked spaghetti.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looked just like the whipworm from this picture. Is it possible that there was only one?

Today I went to a vet (in a different clinic than before) and showed her the saved sample with the worm. She looked at it and said that it's more likely that she ate something unnatural. I don't trust our vets very much, though.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
The picture is far from perfect but here goes. (White 'stones' sticking to her stool are litter)

ww IMG_20200117_172409.jpg

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
P.S. Is there any way to edit posts at this forum? I didn't mean to insert the bigger picture.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
P.S. Is there any way to edit posts at this forum? I didn't mean to insert the bigger picture.
On my device, I can and do edit for clarity and typos for a certain amount of time. After people have seen and replied to the original post, it's kind of rude to change it because it changes the meaning of their post as well.

It's probably a good idea to take your time composing on a text editor (like notepad or wordpad on Windows XP/9xxx or Pluma, Leafpad, Nano, Vim, etc. on *nix systems) and then c/p into the comment window, but I'm certainly too lazy to do that most of the time.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh worms are awful. If you can, save the worm to show the vet just in case. Does the worm have segmentation? I find giving pills easier than liquid wormers. My cat isn't the pill pocket type so I coat the pills in butter (it masks the taste and helps them slide down more easily) and rub her throat after each pill to make sure it goes down. I follow immediately with her favorite treats and she doesn't even realize she's been medicated.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with whipworms, just tapeworms. I can't really tell. Dr. Michael W. Fox has some horror stories about what happened to kittens in the 20th century when home sewing was more common and people weren't careful enough with their needles and thread.

She passed it, whatever it is, so she's okay. I'm getting rather protective of your kitten and distrustful of your local vets too! I'm glad you found us. My own kitten is very lucky too.

tl/dr: bump.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
I coat the pills in butter (it masks the taste and helps them slide down more easily) and rub her throat after each pill to make sure it goes down. I follow immediately with her favorite treats and she doesn't even realize she's been medicated.
Wow you're a pro!

We used to medicate a cat we had 15 years ago with anti-sex-drive pills (before she fell ill from them and we stopped), and it was quite a painful experience every time. The cat just wouldn't open her mouth, and me and my mother had to both be present for me to restrain her and for her open her mouth by force. The cat would often pretend she swallowed and would spit the pill out, too.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm getting rather protective of your kitten and distrustful of your local vets too! I'm glad you found us. My own kitten is very lucky too.
Thanks! :hugs:

The information I've found online so far suggests that this type of worm is very rare, so maybe it is, indeed, just something artificial she ate up randomly.

P.S. Where can I find some info on your kitten, a la my own thread about mine?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
P.S. Where can I find some info on your kitten, a la my own thread about mine?
Here: Hello From Willow And Me and I need to update it.

She looks a lot more British now and I know she isn't. She's had some food insecurity issues in her life and is recently spayed, so I don't want to overfeed her by mistake just because I think it's cute that she's a naughty, rebellious little teenager trying to look a lot more British than she actually is. :lol: :flail:

She's a Yankee all the way. We have a wide variety of size and weight among Domestic Shorthairs on this side of the pond. I seriously doubt if there are any BSH breeders in my neighbourhood and even if there were, they'd be much too careful of their cats to let a little boy get out and have a tryst with a random DSH.