Should I Give Up My Several Months Old Kitten?

Maeshru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My brother got a kitten from a friend's cat who had way too many. He said beforehand that he was going to get a cat but didn't say that it was mine. A bit of background info: I am 16 years and a Senior in high school. I don't have a job and my brother doesn't have a job. We'd kept the kitten behind our Mother's back. I thought that he was going to take of her since he at least gets some money ( though I 'm not sure where it comes from ). But a lot of the time I've had to use my allowance (which comes in sparse intervals ) to take care of her. Especially since it's my Senior, I'm very busy with work and college stuff. And even in college I'm not able to bring her with me. My brother is very busy as well. ( He always brings her to e when I come home from school. I love my cat very much. She's sweet, energetic, and very cuddly. But I do not want her to suffer. She's already attached to me and I'm attached to her.

I do not want to bring her to a shelter as I've heard it's a very traumatic experience for animals. I've thought about bringing her to a place like a friend's or something where they can keep her and I can visit her often until financially I'm able to take care of her. But I'm not sure how that'll play out. Not to mention that my Mom doesn't like animals and disapproved of her when we told her. But she didn't want her to suffer either.

I'm mostly worried about giving her away and her missing me. I really do not want to think I abandoned her. I love her way too much. But I want her to be happy. I know what my brother and I did was irresponsible but I want to fix it. Is there anything I can do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you try talking to the people that you originally got her from? --tell them your situation, that you want to keep her but don't have the money yet but will be working towards being able to keep her - (and then do that...)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Furballsmom's suggestion doesn't pan out, are there other friends of yours that you could ask to care for her - ones that you could trust? Even then, if you would like to eventually have her for your own, you would have to find some way to "contribute" to her care. And, you would also face the possibility that they would not want to give her up when you were finally in a position to take her. But, at least, you would know she had a good home, and a place that you could visit her.

Lastly, you could find a no kill shelter and let her go to a good home elsewhere. If you can rely on your brother, all of the above applies to him as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Are there any well known feline foster groups in your area? That way the kitten would be cared for in a loving foster home until the right person was able to adopt her?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really important that she has appropriate medical care. She needs to be dewormed, she needs a series of vaccines, and she needs to be spayed. If you can't do those things for her, no matter how much you love her, I would seriously consider finding her a new home. I know that's harsh, but veterinary attention and paying for it is a huge part of pet ownership.

Where are you located? We could help to find rescues and no kill shelters in your area, if you'd like to use them as a resource.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maeshru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To talkingpeanut,

I'll definitely give her the medical attention she needs. Especially if I save up my money. I'm determined to take of her as I do not want her to deal with separation issues. Even if I have to use every single penny.

I found a ASPCA mobile spay/neuter clinic near me. I live in Brooklyn, NY and they serve in that area. Without public assistance it's $125 but if I prove my family in on public assistance it's $5. We're not on welfare but my we're on Medicare and Medicaid which counts.

The Toby Project in NY offers $60 neuter/spays for cats.

Also, do you know the vaccines that she needs to take? Near is a petco near my house that offers a healthy cat/kitten package for $60. It includes the FVRCP Vaccine, FeLv Vaccine and Round/Hook Dewormer. Is that enough or does she need more than that? I'm able to afford them but I just need your opinion.

Thank you replying to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, you are not getting a response about the vaccinations. I should know what they are but because my cat no longer gets any, I've long forgotten.

How about calling a few places and asking what the standard vaccinations are? Then, see if they all say the same thing. If not, call them back and ask why one or another recommended or didn't recommend this or that of the vaccinations.

You could start with the ones you listed above, and then ask if there any others you should be considering.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rabies vaccination is usually required by law. Here (MA and NH) Petco offers the shot for $15. Also, here the low cost spay/ neuter programs often include the rabies shot.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t give the Felv vaccine, but I would do the FVRCP series. That one is critical. Rabies is also required.

Roundworm dewormer should be enough, but if she’s ever had fleas she will need tapeworm deworming too.

When can you make an appointment for the mobile clinic?

You’ve done great research so far! I’m in NY too; I would have found the same.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I'm aware, standard vaccinations are FVRCP, rabies, and deworming. I would not get her the FeLV vaccine, as it's somewhat ineffective and may cause her to test positive for the virus.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kudos to you for wanting to do the right thing by your kitten.

First off, whether you decide to keep her or not, I would suggest that you get her spayed and the round of vaccinations. I think more people in here can give you more insight on that- typically the above named vax are what is given, and you most likely will be advised to go back to to give your kitten a booster. Now, there is a lot more out there about whether or not boosters are needed, doses of vaccines, etc. I won't get into that myself just now, as I am myself still learning the nuances of that topic, but I wanted to bring it up just so you have an idea of what to expect and do the research accordingly. Personally, even if I knew I couldn't keep a kitten I would still do that first vet visit so I at least had the peace of mind that they got that much (and I have done that many years ago, with a roommate's kitten, because it wouldn't have happened otherwise).

Providing adequate care can be a challenge financially, especially in your situation. Kudos again for being aware and trying to prepare to the best of your ability. As to your concern about keeping her- if the other members of your family are not invested, it may be in your best interest to take the time to find someone who will take care of her. I would suggest if possible, that you have a heart to heart with your mom, as it would most likely end up being her responsibility once you are away at college. See how she feels about being a cat owner, maybe you can come up with a plan that you would take the cat once you were able to have your own housing. Even then, things happen and plans change, especially when adjusting to college life. Maybe your mom will bond with her and love her just as much as you, especially if she feels a little bit of "empty nest." But I think a conversation with her is important for you to make the appropriate plans. Worst case scenario, you can agree to take the time to find a suitable home without feeling rushed to do so or worrying about taking her to a shelter.