Should I Give Up My Adopted Cat ?

Discussion in 'Cats S.O.S' started by Fatdream, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Fatdream

Fatdream Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Jan 20, 2018
    i already love my cat and I think she loves me too.

But I’m extremely allergic , but not anaphylactic shock allergic to the cat

I’m currently on Zyrtec and Flonase . The reason I’m up right now is because I can’t breathe. . It seems to work decent but always wear off by 15 hours . I wake up with dry mouth and sore throat because I breathe from my mouth since I can’t from my nose .

I have her for a month now n I’m thinking of giving her another month: I really want to keep her but I don’t know if I can justify the cost of my health . But on nights like these I really question whether I should take her back now

How long does it take for people who noticed they became “desensitized “

2. Fatdream

Fatdream Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Jan 20, 2018
    Isn’t she a sweetie :( breaking my heart

Attached Files:

3. Lindzee2018

Lindzee2018 TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 15, 2018
    Rochester, NY
    I'm so sorry you found out you were allergic. =[

An air purifier may help.

Also I guess allergy shots are a thing if you are really looking to keep the kitty.
    Allergy Shots (Immunotherapy) | AAAAI

Other thoughts, do you have a family member or a close friend that would take her, so you can still visit if it came to that?

Summercats and Furballsmom purraised this.
  4. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    If you want to try an air purifier, I'd suggest a good ionizing purifier. They seem to work best.

Best of luck to you both! I know your heart is breaking right now. If it were me, I'd get the shots. In a heartbeat.

Summercats and Furballsmom purraised this.
  5. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Mamanyt1953 and Furballsmom purraised this.
  6. lalagimp

lalagimp TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 7, 2017
    DC
    When I was younger, we'd taken in these twins that someone was giving away at Petco. Lady said the mother never came back. They were just a few weeks old and we took them, vaccinated them, sterilized them, had them for almost 4 months and I gave them to a friend because they were really setting off my allergies. I already lived with guinea pigs and loose hay around, but those particular cats didn't make things easy on me. I was taking Singulair from the doctor. Maybe even Allegra at the time, but I can't remember. The next year I got cats again. This time things weren't so bad, and the next two cats I'd gotten I've had now for 9 years. I take OTC allergy meds every day and still live with guinea pigs and the hay out. I even have two more cats - but recently my oldest cat tried to murder me. My senior decided she wanted to sleep with her mother on the pillow at my face. 5 am I woke up with a cat in my face and my sinuses were freaking out. I spent all day eating benadryl and using the neti pot.

So what would you like to do? Do you want to try a different type of cat, or is this your cat? Can you try different allergy medication? Can you do allergy testing and do shots? is your reaction more in your airway and less in your face... like can you use Advair as an inhaled steroid?

You could also try using dander reducing wipes and wiping her down every few days.

I didn't grow up with cats because all I knew was that I was allergic, so we had dogs. When I was 18 I found out that there are dogs I am severely allergic to as well, so there may be different cats that I'm not so allergic to. It went the same way with my guinea pigs. Some of them would give me a nice reaction, and other guinea pigs I had didn't do much to me at all. I know exactly which two cats I can stick my face in and huff them, and which two cats I probably shouldn't do that with - one being the 9 lb tortie that slept in my face.

Mamanyt1953 purraised this.